Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Up early and soon heard thunder approaching, from the S.W. We had a lively little storm, here in S.E.London but fortunately, for "Brontophobic" me, moved through fairly quickly. It was then safe to venture into the dimly lit kitchen, to take my blood pressure medication!!

I received a nice email, from a dear acquaintance, weatherman and author of many weather books,  Ian Currie.

Ian has recently moved to Storrington, West Sussex, from Coulsdon, just south of Croydon, in Surrey. Ian has kindly agreed to perform one of his "weather talks", called Frost, Fairs and Freezes, based on the his book, of the same title, for the over-50's Horizon Group, at my local church, in November. Have already seen the talk and it really is a performance, highly entertaining and very amusing!! He really is a witty raconteur!!I'd like to take the liberty of reproducing, part of the email, Ian sent me. I think members, will find it interesting :

Quote:

"I think summer will return soon and overall August will be above par in temperature. The rainfall will amount to more than this July but may be below par. Some thundery  bursts will not affect everyone.  I went 39 consecutive days in June/July without any measurable rain and this beat 1976 in Storrington. This month could well be in the top 3 warmest of any month vying with July 2006. I then had 33.1mm over the Weekend."As I've stated many times before, I used to work for a Credit Bookmaker's in Croydon, before I became ill. I had the pleasure of working at the Glorious Goodwood Festival, for three years, in the early 90's. Indeed had to resort to buying myself, a Panama hat, to protect my balding pate, in 1990, as the heat was so fierce!! The powers that be wouldn't let you take your tie off, in the Members' Enclosure but after many complaints that year, they relaxed their "compulsory" jacket ruling. 1990 at Goodwood certainly was a stifling week!. Below, I've reproduced an account of that spell of weather, from Trevor Harley's, excellent website

1990 Very warm, dry, and sunny, with record-breaking temperatures at the beginning. July ended with the Azores high well established, and with hot air and sunny skies temperatures soard. 33C was recorded at Jersey and Heathrow on the 1st, 34C in places on the second, and a nation held its breath for the 3rd as the breeze died down to still air. 35C was widespread, with 37.1C (98.8F) at Cheltenham on the 3rd, the highest temperature ever recorded under standard conditions in Britain (before 2003). It was 36.5C at Heathrow on the 3rd; until then this was London's highest ever maximum (unless you count Epsom as London, in which case 9 August 1911 just pipped it.) The Welsh record high of 35.2C was also set on the 2nd, at Hawarden Bridge, Flintshire. The record for Scotland was almost, but not quite broken, with Kelso seeing 32.2C. Cardiff (33.5C) and Birmingham (34.9C) saw their records set on the 3rd. Sadly I was out of the country that day, which is one of my greatest weather regrets. Manchester (airport) had its highest ever standard reading of 33.7C on the 2nd. The following night the temperature in London did not fall below 23C. The record for the highest minimum recorded under standard conditions was set on the night of the 3-4th at Brighton, where the minimum was 23.9C at Brighton. There were three days where somewhere in the country exceeded 35C, the best such spell since 1976. "

......Not far from Storrington, Goodwood really is a beautiful setting and certainly the most picturesque racecourse, I've worked at. Views over the rolling South Downs, to the north From the back of the grandstand, views to the south, towards Bognor and Chichester. Remember stopping off at a village called East Dean, just north of Goodwood, for a Pub Lunch, before racing started. I'm tee-total, so just a mineral water, accompanied by a very tasty hog-roast sandwich, yummy!! The pig being roasted, on a spit, in the Pub Garden. Happy memories and I met many, interesting people. Very tiring work but also, very enjoyable.

Ironically, today sees the start of this year's, Glorious Goodwood Festival, a really "buzzy" week, that I greatly miss!! :cray:

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Level 2 heatwave alert issued for London, East of England & South East England

Current watch level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 09:18 on Wed 1 Aug 2018

There is a 70 % probability of heatwave conditions between 0900 on Friday and 0900 on Monday in parts of England.

Dry and sunny conditions will become established across southern and southeastern England from Wednesday onwards, allowing temperatures to climb again in light wind conditions. With this there is a likelihood of reaching temperature threshold criteria from Friday and into the weekend, however temperatures are not expected to be as high as seen in the previous spell of hot weather in late July, and likely not as long-lasting.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/#?tab=heatHealth

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices

Summers in order with the best at the top and the worst at the bottom 

1976 301
1995 298
2018 286 (up to 31st July)
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251
1901 249
1921 249
2003 247
2013 247
1925 246
2006 246
1996 245
1935 243 
1994 240
1934 238
1940 238
1941 236
2014 236
1970 235
1969 234
1973 234
1999 234
1997 232
1990 229
1917 228
1926 227
2005 224
1905 223
1932 223
1945 223
1967 223
1977 223
1914 222
1992 222
221   <----------August records zero sunshine, rain everyday and a mean maximum of 15C

• Thanks 1

Posted

My impression is increasingly becoming that the second half of summer is going to be less impressive than the first half.

Infact the figures are already speaking that now by the simple fact that there has been more rain since mid July than during the first half of summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Currently 26c and sunny in London. 

For those that know their music, the photo is taken on Berwick St - which was used as the album cover for What’s the Story Morning Glory.

CF865D6C-2773-423F-96BD-534DF5760108.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 hours ago, Weather-history said:

My impression is increasingly becoming that the second half of summer is going to be less impressive than the first half.

Infact the figures are already speaking that now by the simple fact that there has been more rain since mid July than during the first half of summer.

2nd half though often less summery, Atlantic more dominant, feel the rating could go downhill, maybe best Jun/Jul period ever though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
41 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

2nd half though often less summery, Atlantic more dominant, feel the rating could go downhill, maybe best Jun/Jul period ever though?

Surely the 2nd half is more summery in Stafford due to less North Sea mist? I would certainly say that's the case here.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Very warm today, up to 27.2C so far. That makes it the warmest August day since 2007 and 7th warmest in the last 21 years, which says a lot about how very warm days have been rare in recent years in August. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
8 minutes ago, reef said:

Very warm today, up to 27.2C so far. That makes it the warmest August day since 2007 and 7th warmest in the last 21 years, which says a lot about how very warm days have been rare in recent years in August. 

the most important on a personal thing about the coming month is can we break the curse of August since 2003 there have been some real stinkers, so far so good ....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
22 minutes ago, Leo97t said:

Does anyone know when it last reached 30C in August? 

I don't know for sure. However, i'd take a punt at last year, between the 25th and 29th. I recorded a 27 and 28, so somewhere had to have reached 30°C.

Posted
28 minutes ago, Leo97t said:

August 2016 for London. 

Reached 30.2c on the 23rd and 33c on the 24th.

Looking back, August 2016 was a nice month here. Lots of days of temps in the mid to high 20s plus those two days at 30c+. 19 individual days where the temperature was at or above 24c.

Edited by danm

Posted
1 hour ago, Leo97t said:

August 3rd 1990 here at 32c the highest temp I`ve ever recorded.

The year I started recording temps too.

Posted

We reached 28.5C in the end, making it the warmest August day since 2001 and the 4th warmest on record going back to 1980.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

ah that maritime climate one of the worst climates in my opinion tho desert & polar top it, i cant complain tho about summer this year coz its been amazing! 

Edited by JK1

Posted

Oh dear the dreaded SW long fetch curse hit Cumbria today, we recorded a paltry max of 18 degrees under drizzly grey skies, you only had to travel into Lancashire and the skies cleared rapidly, with temps rocketing.

A poor start to August here, tomorrow looks miserable with rain, and temps for the foreseeable nothing to write home about, perhaps nudging up to 22 to 23 degrees.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

So close to getting an absolute classic this year, but signs that this could be jeopardised by unseasonable northwesterlies from late next week. Still time for change and something more reflective of the developing Nino pattern.

Posted

Maxed out at 30c today. 

Could squeeze a 33c tomorrow. 

Posted
51 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Oh dear the dreaded SW long fetch curse hit Cumbria today, we recorded a paltry max of 18 degrees under drizzly grey skies, you only had to travel into Lancashire and the skies cleared rapidly, with temps rocketing.

A poor start to August here, tomorrow looks miserable with rain, and temps for the foreseeable nothing to write home about, perhaps nudging up to 22 to 23 degrees.

Amazing contrast with Manchester where 28C was reached today.

Posted
7 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

August 3rd 1990 here at 32c the highest temp I`ve ever recorded.

The year I started recording temps too.

August 9th 2003 here. 1st August 2013 came close with 29.5C

Today's maximum of 27C was hotter than any August day between 2007 and 2013.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

This summer has been a classic, no question. I’m 26 and this summer sticks on my mind more than any other. Very consistently warm/hot and dry. Was just a real shame that we had that blip at the end of July. To see such a vast amount of rain in a few hours after 57 days with no rain, was quite the upset. 

I have to say unfortunately that the curse of August looks like hitting us again. I don’t typically put much credence on models past a few days, but the overwhelming picture after next week is one of a major cool down, and much more unsettled. That’s going to come as a huge shock to the system. 

Summer is still not over granted, but the best of it certainly is by the look of it. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
5 hours ago, matty007 said:

This summer has been a classic, no question. I’m 26 and this summer sticks on my mind more than any other. Very consistently warm/hot and dry. Was just a real shame that we had that blip at the end of July. To see such a vast amount of rain in a few hours after 57 days with no rain, was quite the upset. 

I have to say unfortunately that the curse of August looks like hitting us again. I don’t typically put much credence on models past a few days, but the overwhelming picture after next week is one of a major cool down, and much more unsettled. That’s going to come as a huge shock to the system. 

Summer is still not over granted, but the best of it certainly is by the look of it. 

I wouldn't worry too much - most of the horrendously bad August months we have had to endure have featured a southerly tracking jet, and slow moving lows moving right across the UK. They are generally forecast to stay to the north between Iceland/northern Scotland, so while it may be a westerly based regime, it'll stay reasonably warm, and there will still be sunshine on offer - especially in the east. Nothing bad at all!

Posted

The cloud thankfully cleared yeterday afternoon (often been quite cloudy these last 7 days). 
I see a few 30's in the east and even 28C in Manchester so about 7C above normal. Nothing like that here.. max was 23.4C so about 2C above average.

Should be warmer today, but it's currently overcast again.