Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted

So let me get this straight. No thunderstorms for my area. Rain begins when I get home from work Friday and continues throughout weekend until I go back to work when it turns warm and dry again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Wouldn't trust any readings anywhere near Heathrow and never have done...gotta be at least a degree warmer than surrounding towns/villages.

Posted

Back in 2003 when the UK had 100f temps the met office said this would become more frequent, in fact they said at that time to expect such extreme heat to occur in 1 in every 3 summers....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

Wouldn't trust any readings anywhere near Heathrow and never have done...gotta be at least a degree warmer than surrounding towns/villages.

Not really. My home town is close to Heathrow and usually records the same temperatures. Should we discount any airport readings in other countries too, then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Not really. My home town is close to Heathrow and usually records the same temperatures. Should we discount any airport readings in other countries too, then?

Exactly and Wisley  was 35.1c that’s an RHS garden !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, Badgers01 said:

Exactly and Wisley  was 35.1c that’s an RHS garden !

Exactly! There’s a large pine woodland around Wisley, too. But the Heathrow comments still crop up, every year.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Back in 2003 when the UK had 100f temps the met office said this would become more frequent, in fact they said at that time to expect such extreme heat to occur in 1 in every 3 summers....

Got a link for that? This says something rather different  

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/10/newsid_3910000/3910801.stm  'summers this hot may become routine within 50 to 70 years'

Currently 28.8c in Reigate

Posted
1 minute ago, abruzzi spur said:

Got a link for that? This says something rather different  

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/10/newsid_3910000/3910801.stm  'summers this hot may become routine within 50 to 70 years'

Currently 28.8c in Reigate

Sorry no, just remember from the time.

Posted

This is by far the worst day so far. Its 25.2C at the moment but with a 21.0C dewpoint. Its disgusting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Top temp so far looks to be 34c according to Netweather

34°c Wattisham
34°c Cambridge
34°c Norwich Weather Centre

Posted
9 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Sorry no, just remember from the time.

Well whatever was said back then or now there's no way to know whether Summers like this will become more frequent less frequent or about the same. Despite all the hype Summers of this flavour just happen every so often, it's not that unusual, the records show plenty of warm dry Summers in the past. And been as we haven't had one like this for some years we were basically due one I think. When will we get another like it? Maybe next year, maybe the year after that, maybe in 10 or 20 years, nobody really knows.

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices

Summers in order with the best at the top and the worst at the bottom 

1976 301
1995 298
2018 287 (up to 27th July)
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251
1901 249
1921 249
2003 247
2013 247
1925 246
2006 246
1996 245
1935 243 
1994 240
1934 238
1940 238
1941 236
2014 236
1970 235
1969 234
1973 234
1999 234
1997 232
1990 229
1917 228
1926 227
2005 224
1905 223
1932 223
1945 223
1967 223
1977 223
1914 222
1992 222
1908 220
1960 217
1950 216
1957 216
1968 215
1906 214
1942 214
214  <---------------if rest of summer has a mean max of 15C, zero sunshine and rain everyday

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Totally different feel today in London, down from 35c on Thursday and 32c yesterday to a forecast high of 23c today. 

Currently sunny and pleasantly warm, but breezy. 21c at the moment. 

Edited by danm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Not bad at all today plenty of sunshine and pleasant now we've lost that humidity a nice breeze getting through the windows

It was 25c inside this morning down to 23.3c now and falling slowly

Posted

That wind is awful

• Like 1

Posted

Today is just what the doctor ordered. 21.1C with 44% humidity and a keen breeze so you can have all the windows open and blow that awful stagnant heat of the last two weeks out of the house.

Instead of 28C+ inside its now down to 24C already. Lovely!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Bit too blustery really, but I'm just relieved that we've had some rain to reduce the fire risk, top up our small wildlife pond, partially refill our rainwater butts and, mainly, stop me feeling unwell as I have since around Tuesday.  I've just posted the follwing rant in a Status Update, but wondered if I might be permitted to quote it here as it is relevant to this thread?

I don't understand the logic that says that a warm, dry May, warmer dry June and very warm/hot and drought-affected July can all be ruined by a cooler, unsettled weekend t the end of July or an average August.  If August seemed likely to be a washout I could understand the sentiment, but, at worst, it might just be a touch cooler than of recent (mid-high 20s Celcius) with occasional showery days.  This isn't Dubai or Morocco, thank goodness - it's the UK; people should have reasonable expectations or, if they can't/won't, please don't argue for three weeks of 35+C weather after next weekend just because you think that's what you're entitled to.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
Just now, reef said:

Today is just what the doctor ordered. 21.1C with 44% humidity and a keen breeze so you can have all the windows open and blow that awful stagnant heat of the last two weeks out of the house.

Instead of 28C+ inside its now down to 24C already. Lovely!

Absolutely.  Our bungalow was at 30C last night when I tried to get to sleep.  Combined with the increased humidity outside it was the most unpleasant set of meteorological conditions I can ever remember for trying to get to sleep.  I'm convinced I started to develop mild heat exhaustion as I was pouring with sweat and felt 'spaced-out', yet my skin was clammy to the touch.  I ended-up naked (TMI, sorry) and on top of the sheet in order to have a chance of dozing-off.  Even at 9 a.m. it was still 27C in here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The humidity today, down here, has been higher than most of June and July. I feel more sweaty than I did at 30°C and 40% humidity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Apart from the wind, it’s actually been a cracking day today in the SE. Warm and sunny, 23c. Not a drop of rain so far. 

• Like 1