Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
15 minutes ago, cheese said:

Yes, you look at how cool Rovaniemi is in summer on average and yet they are forecast get 4/5 consecutive days above 30C, something we haven't achieved here for 23 years.

As I said, it seems almost everywhere else in Europe is better for extremes than the UK, regardless of season.

Really? 23 years?!

We had 5 consecutive days of 30c+ down here between 5th and 9th July this year and 4 days consecutively of 30c+ in June 2017. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, danm said:

Really? 23 years?!

We had 5 consecutive days of 30c+ down here between 5th and 9th July this year and 4 days consecutively of 30c+ in June 2017. 

Yes, and we haven't reached 30C at all this year.

If London is reaching 30-31C then we will probably be reaching 27-28C. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

And looking at the models its unlikely we shall do....thankfully!

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

I suppose Leeds was more exposed to winds off the North Sea earlier this summer.

Looking back through the records, we also achieved 6 days of consecutive 30c+ days in July 2006, 5 consecutive days in July 2013, 5 consecutive days in August 2003 (actually 10 days consecutively of 29c+ that month). 

Posted

7 minutes ago, danm said:

I suppose Leeds was more exposed to winds off the North Sea earlier this summer.

Looking back through the records, we also achieved 6 days of consecutive 30c+ days in July 2006, 5 consecutive days in July 2013, 5 consecutive days in August 2003 (actually 10 days consecutively of 29c+ that month). 

Yes, E/NE winds are a heat killer for us. Our best direction is south or south east.

Also, we came close a number of times earlier in the month, reaching 28C at midday, but then loads of cumulus cloud blocked the sun and ruined things.

It's funny if we don't reach 30C this year in what has been a good summer, yet we have reached 30C in poor/average summers like 2011, 2015, 2016, 2017 (and of course 2013).

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer

So the met office update today mentions the possibility of ‘very’ hot conditions in the se. Does anyone know what temp they class as very hot? I presume there’s a chance the blowtorch ECM run yesterday has some backing here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
46 minutes ago, danm said:

Really? 23 years?!

I've managed 3 days above 30 in July, but not consecutive. That in itself is massive feat, as it's rare to get above 30 here. I started recording data from my garden in 2009, and June 2016 was the first time I managed to hit 30°C in that period.

This years heatmap shows how great it has been, when comparing it to other years.

chart.thumb.png.511184daeea0fbc9d650879755f57e19.png

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
7 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I've managed 3 days above 30 in July, but not consecutive. That in itself is massive feat, as it's rare to get above 30 here. I started recording data from my garden in 2009, and June 2016 was the first time I managed to hit 30°C in that period.

This years heatmap shows how great it has been, when comparing it to other years.

chart.thumb.png.511184daeea0fbc9d650879755f57e19.png

I like that way of showing temperatures through the year!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Decemberof2010 said:

So the met office update today mentions the possibility of ‘very’ hot conditions in the se. Does anyone know what temp they class as very hot? I presume there’s a chance the blowtorch ECM run yesterday has some backing here?

I think "very" hot in the SE would be classed as temperatures above 32c/33c. So getting into the mid 30s. 

Edited by danm
  • Thanks 1

Posted

OMG the summer just goes on and on, Can't remember the last time it was cold. Hoping a long hot summer will turn into a cold autumn and winter, with plenty of wind/rain storms. I shall remain positive that the heat will disappear soon and we will have some more mobile weather.  

• Like 1

Posted

It's currently 20C and cloudy here. Can't remember the last time it was this cool at this time of day. If it was sunny then it wouldn't be an issue but 20C and cloudy really doesn't tickle my pickle.

Thankfully it is warming up again from tomorrow.

Edited by cheese

Posted
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

It's currently 20C and cloudy here. Can't remember the last time it was this cool at this time of day. If it was sunny then it wouldn't be an issue but 20C and cloudy really doesn't tickle my pickle.

Thankfully it is warming up again from tomorrow.

Much cooler here too. yesterday was 30c/31c - currently it's 23c. Forecast high of 25c, although there's more cloud than sun at the moment so we may not hit that. 

Posted

17c by me at the moment,utter heaven,so much nicer...better enjoy it while i can,crap weather is returning by the looks of it,warming up again,will this nightmare summer ever end?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, markyo said:

17c by me at the moment,utter heaven,so much nicer...better enjoy it while i can,crap weather is returning by the looks of it,warming up again,will this nightmare summer ever end?

It’ll end on August 31st. Only 6 weeks to go. Then months of rain, cold and wind to ‘enjoy’, no doubt! Nice that we’re actually getting a summer, this year.

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It’ll end on August 31st. Only 6 weeks to go. Then months of rain, cold and wind to ‘enjoy’, no doubt! Nice that we’re actually getting a summer, this year.

Not sure i can last that long till the end of August☹️ This summer is really effecting my health now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

Not sure i can last that long till the end of August☹️ This summer is really effecting my health now

Unlikely to be settled/hot until the end of August, so many recent August’s have been dire. What’s wrong with your health? Hope you feel better soon.

• Thanks 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Unlikely to be settled/hot until the end of August, so many recent August’s have been dire. What’s wrong with your health? Hope you feel better soon.

Suffered(my own fault) very poor hydration 3 or 4 times now at work,should know better. Had constant headaches for the last 4/5 weeks,really depressed and down,been to doc's twice. Get this most summers but this year has been far,far worse. Just wanting it to end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Indeed then we have to suffer the relentless posting  by certain glory hunting individuals of faux snow events ,zzzzz

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Indeed then we have to suffer the relentless posting  by certain glory hunting individuals of faux snow events ,zzzzz

If only faux snow settled!❄️

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

You'll live. Think of the people in the UK who suffer from SAD, they have no escape at all because the short days of winter isn't something you can change, you just have to put up with it or move somewhere else. At least a typical UK summer isn't hot.

And anyway, think of the past decade and how lucky you've been - we've had loads of cloudy and wet summers. If you hate heat then not only is the UK one of the best countries in the world to live in but the past 10 years have been some of the best in living memory. Heat haters have had it very good.

I do sympathise with you as I know what it's like to endure weather you absolutely hate, but those of us who like heat are doing all we can to take advantage of it because it might be many years until a summer like this is experienced again. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Suffered(my own fault) very poor hydration 3 or 4 times now at work,should know better. Had constant headaches for the last 4/5 weeks,really depressed and down,been to doc's twice. Get this most summers but this year has been far,far worse. Just wanting it to end.

When you work in retail like me you often don't get chance to hydrate yourself properly. 

I passed out at work once this summer so far after standing outside in the heat trap that is the smoking shelter on a break (they were making us still cover our uniform with a jacket at the time). I'm hoping I don't again. 

Posted
34 minutes ago, cheese said:

You'll live. Think of the people in the UK who suffer from SAD, they have no escape at all because the short days of winter isn't something you can change, you just have to put up with it or move somewhere else. At least a typical UK summer isn't hot.

And anyway, think of the past decade and how lucky you've been - we've had loads of cloudy and wet summers. If you hate heat then not only is the UK one of the best countries in the world to live in but the past 10 years have been some of the best in living memory. Heat haters have had it very good.

I do sympathise with you as I know what it's like to endure weather you absolutely hate, but those of us who like heat are doing all we can to take advantage of it because it might be many years until a summer like this is experienced again. 

I have diagnosed RSAD,had it since my late twenties. Its basically near enough the same as SAD. Trust me i think of the those effected by SAD,it is awful,i know. Its more than enduring weather,much more. Hope you enjoy it though,i know many do.

Edited by markyo