Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted

No heat wave on the GEFS 12z mean either, pretty standard stuff for high summer in the South,  summer continues.

Edited by DAVID SNOW

Posted

Could do we about a week of decent rain, a couple of inches would do, then a drier theme late July into August, but by mid August my thoughts turn to autumn, and there is a change in the feel of things anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the lengthy dry period followed by a notably wet period - often happens like that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The current heatwave level is now down to 1 temperatures are expected to rise later in the week so further heatwave warnings are possible

Current watch level: Level 1 - Summer Preparedness

Issued at: 08:48 on Tue 10 Jul 2018

Temperatures are expected to remain warm over the next few days, but less warm than recent days, with heatwave threshold values not expected to be reached. The temperature trend is expected to rise again later in the week, with an increasing chance of threshold criteria being met, so the Heat Health Watch level may be escalated again later in the week. However for the next few days, all areas are at Level 1 as of 0900 today (Tuesday 10th July 2018).

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/#?tab=heatHealth

Posted
19 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

I can understand that. But who knows what August may bring?

It will be like August 1980. Summer will end abruptly, with a period of wet and thundery weather and very cool and cloudy. Probably lasting for about 10 days.

The rest of the month will be cloudy and cool and staying below 22c, followed by a late hot spell lasting 3-4 days to close off August. Temps will be 25-27c.

Just a prediction lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It will be like August 1980. Summer will end abruptly, with a period of wet and thundery weather and very cool and cloudy. Probably lasting for about 10 days.

The rest of the month will be cloudy and cool and staying below 22c, followed by a late hot spell lasting 3-4 days to close off August. Temps will be 25-27c.

Just a prediction lol.

But do you remember July 1980: day after day of cold showery NNW winds and loads of showers and thunderstorms? Not the usual warm variety, but those that occur when cold air advects across 'warm' land surfaces...though, as London's midday temps were sometimes as 'scorching' as 12C, those storms were nowt to be enjoyed.

This year though, IMO, asks a different question: Where's the cold air going to come from? It's almost as hard to find as in most of our recent winters!

• Like 1

Posted

Today was suppose to be cooler. Its lovely here in Leeds.. and its gonna last until Monday I recon at least. So the break down this week in my neck of the woods was yesterday when it was cloudy.. One day far in July that I  would consider poor. I recon August will be a decent month as well :).. gonna be a classic summer this year/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

What a truly lovely summers day,20c mostly,clear skies,gentle breeze,perfect. Why more than this anybody would would want totally baffles me. Its very comfortable,good to sleep in,usable weather to get things done without becoming overly warm,if summer staid like this even i would start to like it!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
14 minutes ago, markyo said:

What a truly lovely summers day,20c mostly,clear skies,gentle breeze,perfect. Why more than this anybody would would want totally baffles me. Its very comfortable,good to sleep in,usable weather to get things done without becoming overly warm,if summer staid like this even i would start to like it!

Lovely during the day, getting a bit too cool now. Not good for al fresco dining. Need a sweltering 40C day.

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, cheese said:

Lovely during the day, getting a bit too cool now. Not good for al fresco dining. Need a sweltering 40C day.

Tell you what, cheese - why don't you stick that somewhere where it's a steady 98.6F!?️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
39 minutes ago, cheese said:

Take you were one of the folk i saw today in Leeds walking around in a coat....

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Tell you what, cheese - why don't you stick that somewhere where it's a steady 98.6F!?️

40C is a bit on the cool side, isn't it? 

2 minutes ago, markyo said:

Take you were one of the folk i saw today in Leeds walking around in a coat....

No way! Though I've seen people wearing coats even at 25-26C - especially old people. I think they're crackers myself.

Edited by cheese

Posted
47 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Thought you said goat

Greatest Of All Time?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Roger Federer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim Henman!  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Might sound stupid. But what does the term permacast mean? Ive heard it mentioned numerous times on TWO and on here. Never really understood it

Posted

Much more interesting outlook big torrential thunder showers Friday... certainly no record temps,getting slowly but surely cooler,but still slack flow which is great thundery low next week.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Much more interesting outlook big torrential thunder showers Friday... certainly no record temps,getting slowly but surely cooler,but still slack flow which is great thundery low next week.

Indeed. Exciting weather is needed... hopefully with big thunderstorms. And in any case we badly need the rain now, hope pipe ban is imminent here in NW England. Although it will take more than a few thunderstorms to help the reservoirs.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Indeed. Exciting weather is needed... hopefully with big thunderstorms. And in any case we badly need the rain now, hope pipe ban is imminent here in NW England. Although it will take more than a few thunderstorms to help the reservoirs.

Torrential rain will also cause flooding issues as most of it will just run off. Surely you don't want people's homes to be flooded?

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

Torrential rain will also cause flooding issues as most of it will just run off. Surely you don't want people's homes to be flooded?

Or like 99% of the time Summer thunderstorms don't give widespread floods as they are often localised - unlike the severe floods we have seen in Cumbria...........in Autumn and Winter.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Or like 99% of the time Summer thunderstorms don't give widespread floods as they are often localised - unlike the severe floods we have seen in Cumbria...........in Autumn and Winter.

I'm not talking about widespread floods - torrential rain falling onto rock hard ground will cause problems for wherever it is falling. You are displaying a very selfish attitude there.

Posted
26 minutes ago, cheese said:

I'm not talking about widespread floods - torrential rain falling onto rock hard ground will cause problems for wherever it is falling. You are displaying a very selfish attitude there.

The fact is we don't know where a thunderstorm will occur, could happen in a large field but not effect anyone. And talking about selfishness - if you are that concerned about floods you might want to get on to councils about the lack of drain cleaning in this day and age which is a major cause of urban flooding.