Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted

Has been a few very cloudy days. Temperatures flattened to 19 degrees then is down to 16/17 for the next few days, darned north westerly!

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

Has been a few very cloudy days. Temperatures flattened to 19 degrees then is down to 16/17 for the next few days, darned north westerly!

welcome to normal.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Yes once again whilst we bask in a long period of very warm sunny weather not really seen since 1995 people want thunderstorms? Whilst I guess some people may like thunderstorms I find it strange that 95% of netweather members seem to have the same wish.Yes a good downpour would be great for the garden but I for one wish for this summer[not too hot but sunny and dry] continues into September and not have a repeat of 2004.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Those wanting a storm or two will probably be in luck, there is a 24-48 hour period in which pressure lowers ahead of the front assuming the current breakdown comes off so chances are that a few places will catch a shower on Sat/Sun. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Gosport Fleetlands has hit 32.4C

It is the hottest day in England so far this year

Posted

3 unofficial stations in Exeter have recorded 34c this afternoon

Shall wait and see if the met office revise that figure further

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
24 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

sundaymax.thumb.jpg.079338e87ce6828274b2b30b0099ad39.jpg

Just to show how bad the Tmax charts can be and why you shouldn't take them at face value a lot of the time...

GFS 6z - so just a few hours before this temperature was recorded - only had a predicted max of 28c in the Hampshire region, so a good 4-5c out. 

Just to also show you don't need mega 850s to get really high temperatures, they are currently around 11-12c in that area. The right set up counts for a lot too. Strong anticyclone at the peak of summer does some work!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

5 miles from me as the crow flies and exactly the same reading as my weather station today. Happy with that! 

Mind you, I got 33.1 in my garden yesterday! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Well no 30C here today thanks to all the cumulus cloud that built again, but it did reach 29C so very warm or hot still. Feels more humid than it has been. 

Posted
6 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Yes once again whilst we bask in a long period of very warm sunny weather not really seen since 1995 people want thunderstorms? Whilst I guess some people may like thunderstorms I find it strange that 95% of netweather members seem to have the same wish.Yes a good downpour would be great for the garden but I for one wish for this summer[not too hot but sunny and dry] continues into September and not have a repeat of 2004.

Would you settle for a cracking night time storm then nice the next day, I know I would.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Well no 30C here today thanks to all the cumulus cloud that built again, but it did reach 29C so very warm or hot still. Feels more humid than it has been. 

cumulus developed here more to the east than west, then later clear to west, cumulus to East

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Would you settle for a cracking night time storm then nice the next day, I know I would.:)

Yes of course and don't really care if we had thunderstorms constantly for 3 weeks if the rest of the summer was like it has been.What I don't understand is as soon as the summer forums start most of peoples wishes are not for lovely sunny days but thunderstorms.For me we have most of the October to May period as wind,rain,cold and snow and all I want is lovely sunny days for as much of the summer as is possible.After all many years particularly the last 10 years only produce 3 weeks in an extended summer if we are lucky,we can moan all we want but this is a one in 20 year event so far and next year we may get another 2012 or 2008.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Stuck in the middle with you?

Not sure why peeps want it hotter than 32c, hey ho , whatever melts your boat I suppose,

Posted

couple of more questions regarding past summers. summer 1976  what was the august like that year?? and secondly the world cup and England.. I keep hearing its coming home and the summer weather is  also adding to the great feeling of the nation. what was the summer like in 1966? and what was the weather like  world cup final day? (ok that's 3 questions)

Posted
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

Yes of course and don't really care if we had thunderstorms constantly for 3 weeks if the rest of the summer was like it has been.What I don't understand is as soon as the summer forums start most of peoples wishes are not for lovely sunny days but thunderstorms.For me we have most of the October to May period as wind,rain,cold and snow and all I want is lovely sunny days for as much of the summer as is possible.After all many years particularly the last 10 years only produce 3 weeks in an extended summer if we are lucky,we can moan all we want but this is a one in 20 year event so far and next year we may get another 2012 or 2008.

Probably two main reasons, one being it's one of the most exciting weather types for the enthusiasts but also because some would like rain to water things ( without it being Atlantic driven stuff).

Anyway for me thunderstorms are not necessarily separate from sunny weather, a perfect day could be a warm/hot sunny one with clouds building into a thunderstorm in the evening or overnight. It's part of the parcel for many continental climates that are generally considered to get better summers than us. 
Very different from the rain/wind we often get through the rest of the year.

• Like 1

Posted

Thunderstorms are very summery - people associate thunder with heat. We don't get many of them in the UK but few things beat a warm, sultry evening with a thunderstorm nearby.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Updated heatwave alert

Current watch level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 08:19 on Mon 9 Jul 2018

There is a 80 % probability of heatwave conditions between 0900 on Monday and 0900 on Tuesday in parts of England.

The very warm/hot conditions from the weekend will still be present over SW England, and parts of southern England on Monday. However, elsewhere temperatures will be lowering as slightly cooler air extends southwestwards, as winds turn into the north or northeast. These cooler conditions will then extend to the SW by Tuesday, with all regions expected to remain below Heat Health thresholds for the rest of the working week. However, it will still be generally warm towards the south and west, locally very warm in places, and with a likely general warming trend again towards next weekend. Through the coming working week the largely dry conditions are expected to continue for many places.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/#?tab=heatHealth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

That glimmer of something more comfortable steadily grows for next week,rain at last! Much better temps for working in,long time coming, fingers crossed it stays like it for a good few weeks.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
17 minutes ago, markyo said:

That glimmer of something more comfortable steadily grows for next week,rain at last! Much better temps for working in,long time coming, fingers crossed it stays like it for a good few weeks.

I hope so too, Mark...The only potential fly-in-the-ointment (at least to my eyes) being an increased chance of getting hit by one of those horribly hot (but, thankfully, usually short-lived!)  plumy TM things coming up from the S or SW...? It looks awfully hot down there!

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I hope so too, Mark...The only potential fly-in-the-ointment (at least to my eyes) being an increased chance of getting hit by one of those horribly hot (but, thankfully, usually short-lived!)  plumy TM things coming up from the S or SW...? It looks awfully hot down there!

Agree,thats the last thing we want now. The plume is by far the most uncomfortable abhorrent weather that comes to our shores.☹️

Posted
40 minutes ago, markyo said:

Best stick to football Mark!

Posted
8 minutes ago, cheese said:

Best stick to football Mark!

I can't....its to hot!

Posted

Anyway, we are approaching 'peak summer' -  the time when people start taking their holidays and the kids break up for school. I know some misery guts are clamouring for a bout of rain and wind but the rest of us are desperately hoping for something warm and settled throughout August. Those of you who love rain and cloud have been spoilt rotten in recent years with a succession of cooler and wetter than average summers - it's about time the rest of us had something to look forward to as well. Would be a boon or the British tourism industry too (and the national psyche - things are depressing enough with Brexit and other rubbish, the last thing we need is stereotypical British gloom to accentuate the misery).

So, here's to a warm, sunny, and predominantly settled August!

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3