Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
8 minutes ago, cheese said:

And then comes the weekend - all the problems of the working week suddenly fade away.

On that we agree!! The actual humidity hasn't been to bad IF your outside,but i fear this will change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Well it’s currently 36 days since we had any rain at all here - 30th May - and looking like another 7 at least. Crazy stuff, like being in the med or California!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

For all those suffering out there you have to remember this is a rare event,not really had these conditions since at least 2003 and 2006.It has the potential to be the best extended summer in a century[for those that like this weather[.I realised talking to young lads at work that they have never experienced or certainly don't remember summers like this but it does happen and this is a timely reminder.Personally I am loving it and long may it continue although a little rain would not go amiss in the garden.I do not know how the M.s.index works and when it starts but if it is just for summer months how does the figure get so high after one month?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Although today is the 12th consecutive day on which the temperature has exceeded 82.4F,  somewhere in the UK, we still have some way to go before any longevity records get broken: 1976 produced two 18-day stretches and August 1997 gave us a run of 19!

Posted
6 hours ago, Scorcher said:

I'm not completely familiar with how your summer index works- I take it it could fall on the list if we have a wet, cool spell?

I imagine it could well be heading up close to 1983 and 1995 by the end of next week.

Yes it could fall.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Although today is the 12th consecutive day on which the temperature has exceeded 82.4F,  somewhere in the UK, we still have some way to go before any longevity records get broken: 1976 produced two 18-day stretches and August 1997 gave us a run of 19!

Although i don't wish it, Cheese's point elsewhere is interesting in that it is highly likely now that we will not only get the hottest May-July period on record and one of the hottest first halves of summer and yet Leeds (urban area, fairly central) will probably fail to breach 30C. 

Posted

Since i am 90% sure we will be breaking a record for the hottest May-July period i looked at those summers which had seen a 15.5+ June and 17.7+ July (i.e. 1C above todays norms) and there are basically two camps..

1826, 1868, 1933 and 1976 all stay warm and deliver a CET above 16.8 

1762, 1794, 1818 and 2006 all have a CET below 16.1.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
56 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Although i don't wish it, Cheese's point elsewhere is interesting in that it is highly likely now that we will not only get the hottest May-July period on record and one of the hottest first halves of summer and yet Leeds (urban area, fairly central) will probably fail to breach 30C. 

Yes, it's the prevalence of easterlies this year that has done it. South easterlies deliver hot weather but straight easterlies or north easterlies are a death knell for true heat. It's been perfectly pleasant of course but for interest at least one 30C day would have been appreciated (by me anyway).  Really would be ridiculous not to reach 30C this year, having reached 30C in unremarkable or poor summers like 2017, 2016, 2015, 2011.

Sunday is our best chance of reaching 30C since we will have a westerly flow as per today (still 27C as I type which is the warmest it's been at this time of day all year - no cooling easterly breezes).

Edited by cheese

Posted

Oh the joy....there might be a little glimmer of hope on the horizon,thank you mother nature,relief at last!! Next week looking much cooler and mid month showing the same,wonderful!

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, markyo said:

Oh the joy....there might be a little glimmer of hope on the horizon,thank you mother nature,relief at last!! Next week looking much cooler and mid month showing the same,wonderful!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
14 minutes ago, markyo said:

Lol, that's the same glimmer of hope the models have been showing for ages now only for it to get pushed back. I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Made 30°C for the second time in a week, here. That's quite special for down here near the coast. My garden has never looked better, pond looks amazing. I love a bit of wind & rain but this weather is too good to turn your nose up at.

Posted
On 04/07/2018 at 17:28, Weather-history said:

Its actually the opposite. You look at all the severe winters (sub 2C CET) and see how many were followed by a hot summer.

And last winter wasn't that cold overall. 

I think I remember last year you saying something to the effect, that an above average June is often a precursor to an average to below average December. June last year had a CET of 16.0 c and December was 4.8 c. So that seemed to work out. Based on June this year been 0.1 c warmer, would you fancy there been a fair chance that December this year could also be average to below temperature wise?

Posted
2 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

I think I remember last year you saying something to the effect, that an above average June is often a precursor to an average to below average December. June last year had a CET of 16.0 c and December was 4.8 c. So that seemed to work out. Based on June this year been 0.1 c warmer, would you fancy there been a fair chance that December this year could also be average to below temperature wise?

Most cold December's were preceeded by cool summer months however yes, there is a statistical quirk that very warm Junes are disproportionately followed by cool December's.

Personally i don't make much of it however ironically i do see very good signs for a cold winter. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Rather warm at night here, still 20C at 02:45. Have the fan on so no dramas. An amazing spell of weather, some rain would be useful, especially for agriculture but if it means letting the Atlantic in for weeks and weeks with cool, windy, cloudy and drizzly days (as happened last year), then forget it. This can stay until October.

Posted
12 hours ago, markyo said:

Have a read of the latest METO outlook, some good news for you there and storms for me too?:good:

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
20 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Have a read of the latest METO outlook, some good news for you there and storms for me too?:good:

means crap news for the majority

Posted
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

means crap news for the majority

Have you read it? Wouldn't call it a crap outlook.:)

• Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

I have read it,the glimmer of hope may grow stronger soon! Sub 25c all this week by me next week after Sunday,may on one or two days struggle to get out of the teens....oh bliss

• Like 1

Posted

Whilst I welcome this warm summery spell, a few thunderstorms mixed in would make it the perfect summer for me, otherwise it can get a bit tedious  but thunderstorms here are not going to happen anytime soon....or later for that matter , thunder is just as rare as a flying pig over the last couple of years   Bring back the 80's and 90's

Edited by IanR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
24 minutes ago, markyo said:

I have read it,the glimmer of hope may grow stronger soon! Sub 25c all this week by me next week after Sunday,may on one or two days struggle to get out of the teens....oh bliss

Just had a look at this mornings GFS maybe the sub 25c won't last all that long?

Given GFS has a tendency to underestimate temps in these set-up's we could probably add another 2 to 3c on those values

ukmaxtemp.thumb.png.a45f236e6b951bd8888918fc056818eb.pngukmaxtemp.png1.thumb.png.e1249428703b7ba96151a02910b34db6.pngukmaxtemp.png2.thumb.png.cff27897ad41b4d24dc3c7960fb7e067.pngukmaxtemp.png3.thumb.png.096430dab3594c5548eb65180c7894a8.png

Edited by Summer Sun