Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
7 minutes ago, cheese said:

The low cloud we had this morning didn't burn away entirely but instead 'turned' into cumulus. I don't get that at all. Virtually everywhere else in the UK has clear skies while we have partly cloudy skies.

Not sure what the reason for that is but it's kind of irritating. 

Seems to be struggling to clear entirely from parts of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire at the moment

4646.thumb.png.83b365281d490cba08f725191e5c6c28.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

There's apparently a slow moving front in the North Sea so I suppose that's why we're being plagued by pointless cloud. Oh well.

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices
1976 301
1995 298
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
2013 260 
1947 255

2018 254 (up to 2nd July)

1933 251
1901 249
1921 249
2003 247
1925 246
2006 246
1996 245

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
On 02/07/2018 at 10:48, Weather-history said:

Fans don't cool the air though, all they do is circulate the air and increase sweat evaporation off the skin,

No but I had  facing out of the window on the landing and one facing in in my room causing the air to filter in from outside, took the temp down from 32oC but still very warm

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
5 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

1976 301
1995 298
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
2013 260 
1947 255
1933 251
1901 249
1921 249

2018 248 (up to 3rd July)

2003 247
1925 246
2006 246
1996 245
1935 243 
2014 242
1994 240

Interesting to see 2013 above 2003 and 2014 to be on par with 2003 and 2006.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

im sure a London summer index would look some what different? also nice to see 1983 summer in 3rd spot...always the forgotten summer.

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
17 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

I miscalculated by missing a figure off, it's actually higher than those values but they are full summer values. 

Posted

That's a bit different today, max of 23.2C in a bit of sun this morning but generally cloudy and at times below 20C this afternoon, quite breezy and feeling coolish at times.

Forecast to be cloudy with a max of just 18C tomorrow! 

Things like this, along with the 14.2mm of rain on Sunday, reduce the 'strength' of the anomaly here compared to elsewhere, which often seems to happen in interesting conditions.

Posted
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

im sure a London summer index would look some what different? also nice to see 1983 summer in 3rd spot...always the forgotten summer.

I suspect the index in most of the UK would look different since this setup favours northwestern areas the most. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

The sooner this weather breaks the better,i may dislike like it intensely but that's nothing compared to many.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44704958

• Like 3

Posted

2013 was a good summer broke the rot,from a very snowy winter and spring too,just like this year which was exceptional for snowfall.

Cold winter equals hot summer.

Posted
49 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Cold winter equals hot summer.

Its actually the opposite. You look at all the severe winters (sub 2C CET) and see how many were followed by a hot summer.

And last winter wasn't that cold overall. 

• Like 1

Posted

Best first half to summer I have experienced in this country. Didn't experience 1976. May and June have been truely remarkable here and this has now continued into the first week of July. 

1976 301
1995 298
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262

2018 260 (up to 4th July)

2013 260 
1947 255
1933 251

• Like 3

Posted

This weather is really starting to bite now,last 2 days i haven't spoken to anybody who wasn't sick of it. Staff at every single site i've been at hate it,today especially,some of the conditions have been challenging to say the least. Yes a good Summer,week after week of this ,no. For so many the end can't come soon enough. I wouldn't want sub zero temps in winter for 2 months for exactly the same reason. It has to much of a impact on life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
21 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Best first half to summer I have experienced in this country. Didn't experience 1976. May and June have been truely remarkable here and this has now continued into the first week of July. 

1976 301
1995 298
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262

2018 260 (up to 4th July)

2013 260 
1947 255
1933 251

I'm not completely familiar with how your summer index works- I take it it could fall on the list if we have a wet, cool spell?

I imagine it could well be heading up close to 1983 and 1995 by the end of next week.

Posted
15 hours ago, markyo said:

This weather is really starting to bite now,last 2 days i haven't spoken to anybody who wasn't sick of it. Staff at every single site i've been at hate it,today especially,some of the conditions have been challenging to say the least. Yes a good Summer,week after week of this ,no. For so many the end can't come soon enough. I wouldn't want sub zero temps in winter for 2 months for exactly the same reason. It has to much of a impact on life.

So weak.

It's funny actually, because yesterday I was walking up this particular steep road - it goes from 74m asl to 100m asl - and got talking to this woman in her 70s that my mother knows. It was sunny. very warm and this elderly woman was walking all the way up, and she started mentioning how nice the weather's been and how she's loved opening the curtains and blinds every morning to see blue sky. Not even once complained about it being too hot. She has a point too - it's so refreshing to have sunshine every day instead of grey skies like we are normally accustomed to, it has a huge impact on your mood. It's been great seeing people at the nearby park going for walks, bike rides, kicking a football with their kids, getting ice creams and just generally enjoying life (you should try it sometime).

If she can handle it then I certainly think you can. Anyone would think it's been 30C in Sheffield for weeks on end!

Edited by cheese

Posted
12 minutes ago, cheese said:

So weak.

It's funny actually, because yesterday I was walking up this particular steep road - it goes from 74m asl to 100m asl - and got talking to this woman in her 70s that my mother knows. It was sunny. very warm and this elderly woman was walking all the way up, and she started mentioning how nice the weather's been and how she's loved opening the curtains and blinds every morning to see blue sky. Not even once complained about it being too hot.

If she can handle it then I certainly think you can. Anyone would think it's been 30C in Sheffield for weeks on end!

Actually i was working in 39c for 6 and a half hours in Newcastle yesterday! All the Nurses(much,much younger than me....perk of the job) were suffering more than me! Been like this every day for weeks now,they are getting really fed up with it.

Posted
41 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Wondering where our rain has gone?

I'm selling up and moving to Iceland!!

Posted
15 hours ago, markyo said:

You'd be suprised how much people can tolerate. Although i am not a heat lover and would not be sad at a return to normality the generally low humidity associated with the setups we have been getting (this weekend may test that) means that i can handle more. There are others who are happy to bake.

Indeed in winter 10 and Dec 10 i recall being on here being told that this will test the limits and after all of it i can say that i only wished for more. My limit of cold and snow loving was not remotely tested. 

Indeed on that subject i am (despite my usual skepticism) very optimistic for this winter's prospects. PDO looks like becoming properly negative, Nino should peak around weak and we are at solar minimum, so long as the QBO can hold off going westerly very fast then i might actually dare state that a cold winter may even be (and i wisper the following word).. 'probable!'.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, markyo said:

Actually i was working in 39c for 6 and a half hours in Newcastle yesterday! All the Nurses(much,much younger than me....perk of the job) were suffering more than me! Been like this every day for weeks now,they are getting really fed up with it.

I forget what you do for a living but most people don't work in 39C conditions. I might be a bit grumpy if that was the case too. My office can get a bit too warm but nothing too bad. And it's always worth it because I can eat my lunch in the nearby park (everyone else has the same idea too), and then come home and eat my dinner/tea/whatever you call it in the garden too. 

And then comes the weekend - all the problems of the working week suddenly fade away.

Edited by cheese