Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted

If these conditions continued to the end of August it would be the summeriest May to August and the best summer bar 1976. Can it continue another 9 weeks? 2006 had a great June and July but lost out because of August and it 2003 July the same problem and 2013 similar in different periods. Wheras 1989 and 1995 will be harder to beat with smaller periods of unsettled conditions. What a summer though!

Edited by Matthew.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
Just now, Matthew. said:

If these conditions continued to the end of August it would be the summeriest May to August and the best summer bar 1976. Can it continue another 9 weeks? 2006 had a great June and July but lost out because of August and it 2003 July the same problem. Wheras 1989 and 1995 will be harder to beat with smaller periods of unsettled conditions. What a summer though!

July 2003 was okay - cloudier in the west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
58 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Ok a question again for those in the know (so Cheese that doesn't require your attention) Do people think the beast from the east in Feb/March as resulted in this great weather since late April?.

No doubt about it the SSW has shaken the weather patterns to tatters since late Feb

2018 will go down in memory as the year of extremes without doubt

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

No doubt about it the SSW has shaken the weather patterns to tatters since late Feb

2018 will go down in memory as the year of extremes without doubt

Interestingly 1989 had a SSW in February too and that’s the best overall May to August bar 1959 maybe 1976

Edited by Matthew.
  • Like 1

Posted

Hottest day in the SE yet - 31.8C is the highest official temp I've seen so far (Heathrow).

Remarkable to see my nearest station Thorney Island reach 30.7C, right on the coast - so I'm quite confident then that my garden reading 5 miles inland in excess of 32C was fairly close to the mark. 

Still 28C now at 8.30pm! 

Edited by Man With Beard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

An uncomfortable night to come for many in the south, will be a lot of grumpy folk trudging to work in the morning!

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Nick L said:

An uncomfortable night to come for many in the south, will be a lot of grumpy folk trudging to work in the morning!

Indeed. This is the ONLY thing I dislike about the heat and that’s trying to sleep.

sleep is overrated though so hopefully this continues - I wouldn’t begrudge you guys some cooler nights though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 minutes ago, Nick L said:

not just the south, am I classed as south? uncomfortable night for much of north and east Midlands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

may come across as a 'troll' post, but rain can stay away until 0ctober! allergies are fine when it's hot and dry

Posted
14 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Indeed. This is the ONLY thing I dislike about the heat and that’s trying to sleep.

sleep is overrated though so hopefully this continues - I wouldn’t begrudge you guys some cooler nights though.

I'm in an air conditioned office where it's a blissful 20c so doesn't bother me!

I cannot function without my 7-8 hours so that's the reason I find hot spells a real struggle, it just saps my energy and makes life difficult.

Posted
13 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

not just the south, am I classed as south? uncomfortable night for much of north and east Midlands

I meant the southern half.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

its 5pm here and a rather refreshing 16c with a nice breeze..dont mind if i do

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave
4 hours ago, Nick L said:

Very uncomfortable here in Cardiff at the moment. Temperature rose all evening after the cloud and spots of rain early afternoon. 

It was only 21c at 4pm. Rose to just over 24c now at midnight with uncomfortable humidity. Back to normal service of sun and high 20’s tomorrow. Remarkable spell of weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

I’ve given up on sleep. It’s still 19c outside at 3am.

amazingly, given the rain yesterday Plymouth got to 26.7c at 1800hrs last afternoon as the recorded high point.

Lets see what happens today- there’s a bit of cloud in the sky again this morning.

Posted

Manchester summer indices.
1976 301
1995 298
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
2013 260 
1947 255
1933 251
1901 249
1921 249
2003 247
1925 246
2006 246
1996 245

2018 (up to 1st July) 244

1935 243 
2014 242
1994 240

Really climbing the table. It could plateau or drop over the next two months but it looks like continuing to climb at least to mid July. 

Posted

Was a hot and humid night in Hertfordshire last night, I recorded a low of 18.6oC in my garden 

Closest met office station. Is northolt which recorded a low of 17.6oC 

We've ordered 2 air con units for the house due to lack of sleep, when I woke this morning the temperature was still 27.5oC in my bedroom with fans on nd windows wide open! 

Posted

It was a much cooler night than expected with a min of 9.9C. It has been quite a weird summer here so far due to the persistent easterlies. I'm not complaining though, we havent had a 24 hour period with a 'min' above 14.9C and a maxima above 23.7C. Its just been sunny, dry and pleasantly warm.

I suspect looking at the charts it won't last and we'll join in on the unpleasant heat.

Posted
49 minutes ago, ARW WeatherMan said:

Was a hot and humid night in Hertfordshire last night, I recorded a low of 18.6oC in my garden 

Closest met office station. Is northolt which recorded a low of 17.6oC 

We've ordered 2 air con units for the house due to lack of sleep, when I woke this morning the temperature was still 27.5oC in my bedroom with fans on nd windows wide open! 

Fans don't cool the air though, all they do is circulate the air and increase sweat evaporation off the skin,

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Fans don't cool the air though, all they do is circulate the air and increase sweat evaporation off the skin,

but fans placed in an open window can help draw cooler in from outside. I find the best use of fans is to set them up by windows to blow air in on one side of the property and extract it on the other thereby encouraging a cool breeze through the property  

what a cracking summer so far though long may it continue

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Level 3 heatwave alert issued for south-west and south-east England on step below a national emergency

Current watch level: Level 3 - Heatwave Action

Issued at: 08:59 on Mon 2 Jul 2018

There is a 90 % probability of heatwave conditions between 0900 on Monday and 2100 on Tuesday in parts of England.

The general trend in temperatures this week is for early high temperatures by both day and night in the southern two regions of England (Southeast and Southwest), with slightly less certainty for London and West Midlands. This follows a hot Sunday and Sunday night across the majority of these areas. Temperatures should fall slightly during Tuesday by both day and night for most, curtailing this alert. While temperatures are expected to pare back slightly by both night and day through the middle of the week, later in the week the easterly breeze that has been providing some relief in eastern counties is expected to die away, leading to a notable change in the feel of temperatures here, even if absolute thresholds are not quite breached. Yorkshire/Humber, East Midlands and East of England are most likely to see their current alert level change (probably upwards to a level 2) as a consequence. Even in areas that do not breach their alert criteria, the headline is that is expected to remain largely dry and often sunny - for this week at least.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map  

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/#?tab=heatHealth