Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

This is slowly turning into one of the toughest summers since the nightmare of 2003. That breakdown is still 10 plus days away,very depressed,tired,lethargic,no energy at all. Thank god for bedroom aircon,couldn't cope without that! I'm very lucky in that i suppose.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

This is turning into the best summer for years pleasantly warm and sunny day after day with low humidity and nights reasonably fresh with temps not much higher than 13c

Such a treat after that extended winter

• Like 4

Posted

Loving this weather. So much sunshine. Makes up for the last few years of poor to average at best summers. 

Hoping it lasts and we don't get a washout August. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
12 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Porthmadog is very sheltered by the Snowdonian hills, and benefits from the foen effect so to speak when there is the lightest of easterly drifts to the wind, the same thing happens in the NE Grampians when a SW wind in the winter takes hold, highest temps often occur to the lee of high ground in such situations. So not unusual in this sense. The persistance though of the current synoptics is quite abnormal, the high has virtually not changed in core position for 7 days, meaning the warmest temps have been reserved for the NW quarter of the country for 6 days running now which is far from normal.

Here we have had 5 days above the 27 degree mark, today brought a max of 29 degrees, yesterday was the same, Wednesday and Thursday we hit 30 degrees. We had very similar conditions to what we are seeing now in August 1976 and 1995 when the core of the warmth settled in situ in western parts at times, as the high drifted to the north. 

The most notable aspect of the weather last 7 days has been the total absence of any cloud, again due to the high being directly overhead. It is rare to see such a long run of cloudless days, sunshine levels have gone through the roof. Its also been a clear high - making for great visibility. It doesn't get any better than this for summer weather in the Lakes, I don't want humid southerlies, or temps in the low 30 degrees and the hazy skies they bring. We could though do with some welcome rain before too long.

Yep totally get the mechanics behind it, but as you say it’s still remarkable that it has happened for so many days in a row. 

As we speak, Porthmadog has already reached 30c at 11am!! Definitely feels hotter today, London also already up to 27c:

15C2F6D8-FE6A-488A-969B-1553F92C2839.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, danm said:

Yep totally get the mechanics behind it, but as you say it’s still remarkable that it has happened for so many days in a row. 

As we speak, Porthmadog has already reached 30c at 11am!! Definitely feels hotter today, London also already up to 27c:

Only 22 over here, with a lovely fresh ENE breeze...That said - it's as humid as Hell!

I don't think Portmadog will be the only place to exceed the 30C mark today, though: places like Lossiemouth and Kinloss are also well-placed...?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, danm said:

Shows how isolated it is though - nowhere else in the vicinity is anywhere near as warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Warm and sunny for the majority again but a change in the south-west where cloud and some torrential rain has arrived

be274853-6900-4373-a0e6-786dc77ed075.thumb.png.8c10291d128a902769c88841c3aa52e0.pngb2f3faae-edf0-40e9-ba83-848d4647ee11.thumb.png.0d46f5ffc587cbc4a270f58dc1a21708.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
2 hours ago, markyo said:

This is slowly turning into one of the toughest summers since the nightmare of 2003. That breakdown is still 10 plus days away,very depressed,tired,lethargic,no energy at all. Thank god for bedroom aircon,couldn't cope without that! I'm very lucky in that i suppose.

It’s become intolerable. Normally I don’t moan during summer on here (In return hoping that we are left to enjoy the cold in winter) but there are limits. I’m desperately trying to keep the heat out and my portable air conditioner is on overtime (although it can only really manage to get one room cooler). Tough times.

• Like 2

Posted

Cooling off abit this coming week as uppers lower,looks more unstable by Thursday.

An advantage to being on a hill as theres usually a breeze to cool it down somewhat.

Posted
20 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Warm and sunny for the majority again but a change in the south-west where cloud and some torrential rain has arrived

be274853-6900-4373-a0e6-786dc77ed075.thumb.png.8c10291d128a902769c88841c3aa52e0.pngb2f3faae-edf0-40e9-ba83-848d4647ee11.thumb.png.0d46f5ffc587cbc4a270f58dc1a21708.png

Yes clouds have not really reached Portsmouth, just patchy high cloud making it hazy. Already over 29C here. I'd be surprised if nowhere exceeds 90F today. 

This idea of "cooling down" later in the week is a bit misleading. The ECM has consistently put next weekend in the 30s!

Edited by Man With Beard

On 30/06/2018 at 11:31, danm said:

The latest BBC forecast showed the hottest places over the last 5 days. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday the winner was Porthmadog with 32c, 33c and 33c. Remarkable really that a small town on the NW coast of Wales in the shadow of Snowdonia has reached those temperatures and been the hottest place in the country for 3 consecutive days. 

Perhaps the foehn effect, generally very warm everywhere but Porthmadog being on the lee side of the mountains with an Easterly wind.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/wind/foehn-effect

--------------------------------

In terms of the weather here, it has completely clouded over, but with only patchy rain. 

Edited by J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The gorgeous summer weather continues, here. Wonderful to have so much sunshine and warm temperatures. Not feeling at all uncomfortable either, with consistently low humidity levels, although that may change. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Never dropped below 19c at Mount Batten Plymouth last night.

It dropped during the rain this morning but boy is it HUMID out there now. Nearly as muggy as Megan from Love Island ;) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I know we didn’t quite make 30c yesterday, but the London area has breached it once again today. Remarkable spell of heat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, ukpaul said:

It’s become intolerable. Normally I don’t moan during summer on here (In return hoping that we are left to enjoy the cold in winter) but there are limits. I’m desperately trying to keep the heat out and my portable air conditioner is on overtime (although it can only really manage to get one room cooler). Tough times.

Next week looks really bad,fingers crossed something better will soon appear on the charts. The thought of than cool rain giving everything a fresh clean and spruce up would be fantastic,everything is just looking so dirty,given up trying to clean me car,next day its just covered again,we need some clean Atlantic air to shove this crap from Europe away.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
33 minutes ago, markyo said:

Next week looks really bad,fingers crossed something better will soon appear on the charts. The thought of than cool rain giving everything a fresh clean and spruce up would be fantastic,everything is just looking so dirty,given up trying to clean me car,next day its just covered again,we need some clean Atlantic air to shove this crap from Europe away.

Can't wait for that lovely feeling when it does eventually change :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
4 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Hope it gets to 50 c till November

That's not really likely is it? lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Ok a question again for those in the know (so Cheese that doesn't require your attention) Do people think the beast from the east in Feb/March as resulted in this great weather since late April?.

Nah, this is the result of all the hot air coming from your house. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The two "beasts from the east" were mainly due to a sudden stratospheric warming event.  I don't think there is a link between that and the current spell of weather.  It's notable though that we've retained a lot of northern blocking ever since, which has stopped the usual westerlies from taking hold.  The "June return of the westerlies" this year soon saw the jet stream deflected way to the north as it approached Scandinavia, giving an Atlantic trough and displacement of the Azores High over towards the British Isles, much as kept happening in the summers of 1976 and 1995.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Heathrow has hit 31c today and it definitely feels hotter. The last 3/4 days down here in London has averaged 27/28c. 31c so far today with more humidity.

Edited by danm