Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

We need a lot of rain,folk either don't understand or just are so immature  and selfish they don't care. Really ticks me off.

Some of us just like warmth and heat.

I don't sit in the winter chat threads gfuqhgfpjhing all season long about how cold it is and how "selfish and immature" those who enjoy bitingly cold weather are.

Coming in here daily and reading posts from users praying for the demise of Summer is really starting to tick me off.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
16 minutes ago, markyo said:

We need a lot of rain,folk either don't understand or just are so immature  and selfish they don't care. Really ticks me off.

On the flip side, cool, cloudy and wet weather would cost the tourism industry hundred of millions as people search for sunnier climes whilst foreign tourists are potentially deterred.

Odd that only a couple of months ago vast parts of the Fens were underwater with forecasts suggesting several of inches of rain being thrown down in short periods of time, how times have changed. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
29 minutes ago, markyo said:

Going on about it every single day isn't going to achieve anything. I'd suggest getting over it.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Deep Snow please said:

Already found a few dead animals in our garden this summer, god knows what an entire summer of this is going to do to the local wildlife. Need a bit of rain. 

Like what? Birds dropping dead from trees? Sunburnt fried hedgehog? Neighbour's cat shrivelled dry of thirst?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Fair bit cooler here, albeit still very warm with the temperature around 27*C. Just a few odd tiny clouds poking about in the sky today.

Don’t feel it’s selfish really for those to want to continue to see dry and Summery conditions like this. We don’t have any control of the weather and whatever we want to see won’t make any difference as to what will happen.

Wouldn’t mind seeing some rain whenever the breakdown occurs, as longs as it’s of the thundery and stormy variety! 

Posted
22 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Like what? Birds dropping dead from trees? Sunburnt fried hedgehog? Neighbour's cat shrivelled dry of thirst?

I'm assuming your being sarcastic, but genuinely birds dropping dead from trees. It's been dry and crucially very hot here during the day here for about 2 months bar the odd day or so though. Couldn't see any signs that a fox or other animal had attacked them on both occasions and they were most definitely dead. I'd assume heatstroke of some kind. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

I'm assuming your being sarcastic, but genuinely birds dropping dead from trees. It's been dry and crucially very hot here during the day here for about 2 months bar the odd day or so though. Couldn't see any signs that a fox or other animal had attacked them on both occasions and they were most definitely dead. I'd assume heatstroke of some kind. 

No birds dripping out of trees here. How odd. 

Posted

I also am yet to see any dead birds.

it was hot before, it will be hot again. Nature will do what it wants.

i find it bizarre how members on a forum designed for weather enthusiasts complain when the weather is anything but benign. Why are you on a weather forum? 

Posted

Looks like we'll fall just short of the national records. Glasgow currently 31.3C (Scottish record 32.9), Shannon in Ireland 32C (Irish record 33.6C), nowhere in N Ireland appears to have reached 30C (record 30.6C). 

Hottest day so far on the south coast too - just reached 28C here in Portsmouth 

Edited by Man With Beard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

My garden is looking quite healthy, and the lawn is green. I have been watering it regularly though, as it just turns to dust overnight due to being a sandy loam soil.

• Like 1

Posted

Can never understand the concept of how someone can be 'selfish' for enjoying/wanting a weather type. It would make sense if you could go to a shop and buy a weather type which everyone else has to put up with, but since no-one can control the weather, how can anyone be selfish for liking or disliking it, as that preference has zero effect on anyone else?

Back to the subject of the hour, my garden is brown, but a bird abattoir it isn't. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Aren’t you being somewhat selfish, wishing for cool weather in summer, due to your job? It works both ways, doesn’t it? We get quite a few months of wet, gloomy, cold and generally crappy weather in this country. A few warm and dry weeks and apparently it’s the apocalypse. It’ll be raining again soon enough, I’m sure bird lovers are putting out water for them and rivers and lakes haven’t dried up. Could be any number of reasons that those birds died. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Aren’t you being somewhat selfish, wishing for cool weather in summer, due to your job? It works both ways, doesn’t it? We get quite a few months of wet, gloomy, cold and generally crappy weather in this country. A few warm and dry weeks and apparently it’s the apocalypse. It’ll be raining again soon enough, I’m sure bird lovers are putting out water for them and rivers and lakes haven’t dried up. Could be any number of reasons that those birds died. 

Ironically it might not be raining soon at all looking at the models!

The GFS 06z had no rain for me here until T+384. That would be almost a month with not even a trace of precipitation. Very unusual!

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

For gawd's sake peeps, can't we just all wish for what we wish for? It's not as if our wishes are going to make the slightest bit of difference, is it?:search:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
39 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

All i was trying to do was to point out the issues involved with this summer,it's not been a few dry warm weeks,its been nearly 2 months  of dry warm weather. Wildlife is suffering,the fires in Saddleworth are at the height of the breeding season. I felt the same in March,wildlife suffered then. I don't think caring can be a reason to call anybody selfish. Yes i truly hate this weather,always have,i can't get my head around the notion of anybody who does,even as a child i never enjoyed it. But certain folk have this wish that the next 3 months should be like this..that is as selfish as some idiot wanting sub zero temps in winter for the whole of it,i wouldn't want that by any means,far from it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, markyo said:

All i was trying to do was to point out the issues involved with this summer,it's not been a few dry warm weeks,its been nearly 2 months  of dry warm weather. Wildlife is suffering,the fires in Saddleworth are at the height of the breeding season. I felt the same in March,wildlife suffered then. I don't think caring can be a reason to call anybody selfish. Yes i truly hate this weather,always have,i can't get my head around the notion of anybody who does,even as a child i never enjoyed it. But certain folk have this wish that the next 3 months should be like this..that is as selfish as some idiot wanting sub zero temps in winter for the whole of it,i wouldn't want that by any means,far from it.

Indeed fantastic isn't it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, cheese said:

So basically you don't care. Have you tried in anyway to help wildlife cope? I have,i also did last Winter,all winter,especially in March.

• Like 1

Posted

Enouigh of the bickering please, it's the weather, we can't change it, so there's not really any need to argue over it. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

It surprised me as well to be fair. But it could be for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, I've no issue with this weather for a week or so at a time, we can have it until September if it's regular broken up by some heavy rainfall to stop the wildfires and give wildlife a helping hand! 

Posted

A lot of illnesses can affect birds - salmonella, trichomoniasis etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
16 minutes ago, markyo said:

So basically you don't care. Have you tried in anyway to help wildlife cope? I have,i also did last Winter,all winter,especially in March.

You're lucky you weren't around in 1976, Mark (or were you?)...Elm trees everywhere were being destroyed by Dutch Elm Disease...How on Earth would you have coped?:D

• Like 1