Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We had a max temp of 27C today which is a full 4C higher than what the Met Office were originally forecasting. Even their updated max of 25C fell short. We're off to a good start.

Also, we had a low of 8C this morning - nearly a 20C diurnal range - and 29% humidity earlier.

Posted
50 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

It's the hottest day of the year so far St James's Park, London has hit 29.4c

Now 30C at Farnborough according to Weatheronline. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Level 2 hot weather alert issued for the west

Current watch level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 08:59 on Mon 25 Jun 2018

There is a 80 % probability of heatwave conditions between 0900 on Tuesday and 1800 on Thursday in parts of England.

Dry and sunny weather will lead to temperatures gradually trending upwards during the coming week. By Tuesday, isolated spots in the North and West are likely to see temperatures exceeding their thresholds. Whilst very warm or hot weather is also expected in the other regions, temperatures are currently not expected to reach thresholds in these locations until at least Thursday. Eastern parts, especially along the coast, are also likely to see cooler temperatures than the rest of the country due to an onshore breeze along with the risk of some patch mist or low cloud moving in from the North Sea at times. This warning is likely to be extended from Thursday onward, with the chance of more areas being included, as the dry and settled conditions are expected to persist into the weekend. However their remains some uncertainty with the extent and location of the warmest temperatures beyond Thursday.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/#?tab=heatHealth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I know that many models have shown higher temps to the West, but it's not often you see a heat alert map like that.

Posted

Hampton Water Works got to 30.1c earlier making it the warmest day of the year so far

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

This spell shows the problem with living near a coastline when wanting interesting summer temps.

image.thumb.png.d94bab44f3b66ae6fba33c0e5c93a29f.png

Not a lot you can do if you want to be near the coast. Though a north or west facing coast is often better in hot spells, like tomorrow.
Looks like another case of Plymouth right on the coast being (significantly) warmer than me when I'm a few miles inland too.

Tomorrow forecast 21C for me and 20C on Wednesday. If not underestimated, that's average lol. Thursday/Friday look warmer but a pool of cooler 850's drifts in as if by magic to probably limit temps a bit (mid 20's still hopefully). ECM forecast edged down a bit once more.

I guess it's ironic that the media photos of packed beaches and scorching headlines will probably come from will be one of the coolest areas. Certainly not 'hotter than Miami' like the BBC said, (try their 32C highs, 26C lows, and mid 20's dewpoints..) :nonono:

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
14 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

This spell shows the problem with living near a coastline when wanting interesting summer temps.

image.thumb.png.d94bab44f3b66ae6fba33c0e5c93a29f.png

Not a lot you can do if you want to be near the coast. Though a north or west facing coast is often better in hot spells, like tomorrow.
Looks like another case of Plymouth right on the coast being (significantly) warmer than me when I'm a few miles inland too.

Tomorrow forecast 21C for me and 20C on Wednesday. If not underestimated, that's average lol. Thursday/Friday look warmer but a pool of cooler 850's drifts in as if by magic to probably limit temps a bit (mid 20's still hopefully). ECM forecast edged down a bit once more.

I guess it's ironic that the media photos of packed beaches and scorching headlines will probably come from will be one of the coolest areas. Certainly not 'hotter than Miami' like the BBC said, (try their 32C highs, 26C lows, and mid 20's dewpoints..) :nonono:

How far away from the coast are you ET?

I'm around 8 miles from the South coast, as the crow flies, and 5 miles East of  Poole Harbour. The Met Office always underestimate temperatures here. In fact, I don't ever recall them overestimating temps either. Yesterday's Initial forecasts said 23, but it hit 26. They're going for 24 tomorrow, but i'm pretty certain i'll manage 27.

I'm also confident that i'm getting correct temp measurements too, as my fan aspirated sensor is always within .3 of a degree of my Davis station. By tomorrow afternoon, the winds swing around E/ESE direction, that is always a guarantee of higher temps in my location, so it wouldn't surprise me if I manage 28. Wunderground's temp forecasts  have always been my favourite, far closer than any other weather company.

Edited by Mapantz
typo

Posted

North East England now has a yellow heatwave alert - the western side remains unchanged from yesterday

There is a 80 % probability of heatwave conditions between 0900 on Tuesday and 1800 on Thursday in parts of England.

Dry and sunny weather will lead to temperatures gradually trending upwards during the coming week. By Tuesday, isolated spots in the North and West are likely to see temperatures exceeding their thresholds. Whilst very warm or hot weather is also expected in the other regions, temperatures are currently not expected to reach thresholds in these locations until at least Thursday. Eastern parts, especially along the coast, are also likely to see cooler temperatures than the rest of the country due to an onshore breeze along with the risk of some patch mist or low cloud moving in from the North Sea at times. This warning is likely to be extended from Thursday onward, with the chance of more areas being included, as the dry and settled conditions are expected to persist into the weekend. However their remains some uncertainty with the extent and location of the warmest temperatures beyond Thursday.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
58 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

North East England now has a yellow heatwave alert - the western side remains unchanged from yesterday

Do they not bother proof reading these things?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Despite usually despising anything above 25c, the relatively dry nature of the heat has meant that it's been quite pleasant so far. I can cope with heat when it cools down at night as it has been so far. Sadly, the usual humid heat looks like making an appearance by the weekend and into next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Do they not bother proof reading these things?

Apparently not. And I would prefer an 80% probability myself...

Posted

Hawarden, North Wales  has hit 30.2C making it the UK's hottest day of the year so far

Posted
17 hours ago, Mapantz said:

How far away from the coast are you ET?

I'm around 8 miles from the South coast, as the crow flies, and 5 miles East of  Poole Harbour. The Met Office always underestimate temperatures here. In fact, I don't ever recall them overestimating temps either. Yesterday's Initial forecasts said 23, but it hit 26. They're going for 24 tomorrow, but i'm pretty certain i'll manage 27.

I'm also confident that i'm getting correct temp measurements too, as my fan aspirated sensor is always within .3 of a degree of my Davis station. By tomorrow afternoon, the winds swing around E/ESE direction, that is always a guarantee of higher temps in my location, so it wouldn't surprise me if I manage 28. Wunderground's temp forecasts  have always been my favourite, far closer than any other weather company.

I'm 2.6 miles from the closest point as the crow flies, although that's over a hill that reaches 212m, and the direction of the sea breeze often seems to be up the river valley that reaches the sea 5.3 miles away.
Guess I shouldn't complain given that lol, though in April/May we had a sea breeze but managed to reach a similar temperature with colder SSTs. For some reason I'm often similar to Exeter Airport which is further inland, though yesterday we were a few degrees cooler.

The Met Office tend to underestimate temps here too, significantly today, it's been 23-24C much of the day so far with a brief peak at 25.2C. 
WU look like being closer as they seem to be giving forecasts 1-3C higher than the Met Office over the next few days.

I see at 3pm it was 29.7C at Chivenor and 27.5C at Plymouth (who have had the wind back from SE to E, instead of a sea breeze again).

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted

There's a wildfire on Saddleworth Moor and the haze is very visible here, and has moved closer over the past 2-3 hours. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Certainly north sea mist likely over next 3 days, bbc going for it, but they normally underestimate the length of time it stays with us, bbc usually says clearing around 8am, when usually it's after midday

Posted

With these persistent easterlies it has been quite a bit cooler here. In fact we havent got above 23.7C all month. Mind you, there's little to complain about with days like today: clear skies and a max of 22.5C after a min of 9.4C.

The easterlies have been a running theme since late-February. I'm betting by mid-Autumn it'll switch to westerlies and we'll be stuck with those for months!

Posted
5 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Hawarden, North Wales  has hit 30.2C making it the UK's hottest day of the year so far

Rostherne, near Altrincham, recorded 30.7C making it the UK's hottest day of the year so far

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
10 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

horrible morning with sea fog, wonder how long it will take to burn off

Just checking the satellite I'm surprised how far inland it's come! Even now at 7am it's still moving westwards and not retreating yet. Forecasts have it clear and sunny here by 9am, but I'd be amazed if it clears that fast. It's probably got 100 miles to burn back before it clears here. Let's see.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
29 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The cloud is burning away slowly but surely for those under it inland

15cc7d1a-a130-4a69-b486-1924908e8f91.thumb.png.93b8eccd55c6dbcfee5159f464883aae.png

Weird that it has cleared from eastern counties, but remains inland.

Posted
5 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

Weird that it has cleared from eastern counties, but remains inland.

Yeah, it's pretty stupid how that happens for seemingly no logical reason. It's clearing well here though.

Edited by cheese