Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

When was your last morning storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

There are specific criteria for this (pls read on):

I remember when I was young (about 100 years ago) we had a storm in Surrey that started just as it was getting light. Being summer that was proabably at about 4:30 / 5:00 am...

Thing is I’ve been struggling to think of a storm since then that’s occurred during that time - at least down our way.

I guess my question is whether this is because of our location in the central south where most of our nocturnal storm opportunities are as a result of diurnally-driven European storm systems crossing the channel during a plume event - which tend to initiate between nightfall and just after midnight.

I would imagine therefore that a morning storm in the U.K. is far more likely in the north... but perhaps I could be reading too much into this!

So, anyone know of significant storms which initiated between 4 - 7am?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Nope closest thing to that here was a storm that started at about 2am and finished at about midday in October a few years back. It didn't come from France, I think it was a trough just off shore that just kept building as the air was rising on shore type thing 

Posted

I can remember being in a cottage on holiday in Brixham, Devon, must have been either 2005 or 2006, huge thunderstorm woke us up at around 07:00, crazy lightning and loud thunder! 

Thats the only one i can remember 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

23 August last year. Thunderstorms started developing at around 7am, and continued until around 12pm. We had over 40mm and there was local flooding.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Before the above when obliged in London, around about 1999 I think there was one, it woke me up, loud but not much thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not so much in recent years but we've had quite a few early hours storms and sometimes just morning downpours from weaker troughs. Some dates from the records:

07th June 2014

12th August 2012

07th May 2011

29th June 2009

25th July 2008

04th May 2008

15th June 2007

12th June 2006

24th June 2005

03rd August 2004

22nd July 2004

17th May 2002

04th July 2001

Nb, there have also been some instances of storms coming to an end as it gets light like May and July last year or 23rd July 2013.

Edited by MP-R

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Honestly probably not since the mid 90s! Now those were some great thunder years!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I remember one such event in Essex in either of the Augusts of 2013 or 2014 (I think it was the latter). Some really loud thunder between around 7am and 10am. There have also been quite a few occasions in my memory where storms have started in the 2-5am window (again, in Essex).

Edited by Relativistic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Had a small storm one morning last year and a few years back a couple early hours. But pretty poor.

None of this all night malarkey 

Posted

Had one at about 6am, June 5th 2015. Remember my window being wide open got woken up by rain hitting my face in bed 

CGt3regXEAAW3_6.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I can't remember the exact date but late last year there was one here around 7am that while wasn't that significant it produced a huge wind gust that caused damage in places nearby. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Honestly it's been so long I can't remember. Years ago definitely. I miss those elevated storms we used to get in the 80's, 90's and 00's that arrived in the night and were still going 8 hours later.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Last night 3 to 4am then 6am to 10 am which goes as a record as early hour storms are normal but not breakfast storms,never use to get any morning thunderstorms between 7 and midday in the 80`s.

Edited by Snowyowl9