Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 14/04/18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Really interesting how GFS has let go of the little trough extension down to our west Sun-Mon. While this keeps the ridge flatter, it allows for more ridging from the SW to build across us as the next trough dives south while a good way west of us. 

Thats a great way to get a Scandi High to reach far enough SW to cover most or all of the UK. Throw in hot air from the continent and unusually dry soils and the way the run unfolds makes a lot of sense (unfortunately, from a health perspective).

Given how similar the day 10 GFS 12z is to the day 10 GEFS 06z mean, it’s not as outlandish a solution as many might at first think.

Edited by Singularity
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Guys, I've got a 20!

image.thumb.jpg.cbec257eca11afd15c17e9e73be1be11.jpg

Just the SE corner, but you never know.

ECM promising at T168, let's see where this goes!

image.thumb.jpg.f59fe2e36c0dee625c661a507e9962ea.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted

Ecm fantastic so far up to 168 hours!!england and wales hot and humid till then!!still few frames to go!!looks more amplified then gfs and ukmo!!COULD be a scorcher this run!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

As above, ecm holding firm, I think ukmo is a bit pessimistic really. The options towards the end of next week are frightening really.

Posted

ECM T216:

image.thumb.jpg.3246060e173f9c1c43ffc02a7c96babb.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.509bd803c59153ccbab5b31673db6765.jpg

still need to see the last one, where does that red stuff go?

Edit. Here's the answer:

image.thumb.jpg.a7d15a68c0e0704d4b05960416401a8a.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.1191144130ebaf684fa46cec61cb37e4.jpg

could be some really hot air wafting our way thereafter I would suggest.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 1

Posted

Ecm out to 240 and another one for the bank and a big step towards the first 20c CET month. Amazing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

WOW Great T+240 Ecm 12z..blocked and hot!

240_mslp500.png

240_thickuk.png

240_thick.png

240_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp500_arc.png

Craig-Revel-Horwood-10.jpg

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Remember 850s held in situ at around 16-18C are enough to break records

Stationary air is the key ingredient ( a bit like winter minima )

Absolutely and the 70s 80s were very much import heat then lid building more home grown heat.

2003 was pretty much like this.

Amazing stuff of on holiday Monday.

Posted

The 38.5c in 2003 had the still airmass, plus 850s over 20c:

67367188-733A-4D87-9D45-9DDBA0336BED.thumb.png.e2302ce06b60eda29dd7e2378dbc1825.png

Posted

GFS parallel at T216, has the dragon clearly pictured alright but it seems to blowing out of its backside. Weird, I didn't think dragons did this?

image.thumb.jpg.e0b4cc1877a1f2fadafa091b33ce8594.jpg 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

the ECM 240 is another blowtorch run,here it is

ECM1-240.thumb.GIF.f643bc35a62d010d2ebe926eac00bf40.GIFindex.jpg.79c71ce600bdcfca6d08742a33f3cd01.jpg

the gfs was a crazy run and peeps would look like this at the end of next week if it came off,look at the theta e chart at 240:shok:

gfs-6-240.thumb.png.d2dc4443e547dc35395869f49cf0b5e2.pnggiphy.thumb.gif.407a532fa2b247f1c8b4da79e6300aee.gif

what a fantastic summer we are havin and long may it continue:smile:

although i would be on afters next week and it would be unbearable.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, draztik said:

this is utterly ridiculous. Why dont any of you people challenge this? bonkers and entirely misleading. 

Eh the gfs shows 37c next week  so he is only commentating on what this model shows 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

That run probably won't verify, but the general synoptic setup in the various models are showing some blowtorch possibilities. I would put it no stronger than that at the moment.

SM is not suggesting that it's nailed on, but it's not entirely without support in the ensembles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
10 minutes ago, draztik said:

this is utterly ridiculous. Why dont any of you people challenge this? bonkers and entirely misleading. 

It's not ridiculous though is it, I'm staring at some astonishing charts showing mid to potentially upper 30's celsius potential..I've posted some today. I would say there is currently a very good chance of a major heatwave across southern uk in the near future.☺

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
14 minutes ago, draztik said:

the gfs 12z might well be extreme

but other gfs runs, the ecm, and the anomalies all point in unioson to a southerly draw later next week.

my favoured noaa charts are for 4 days now consistent and if anything have inched towards a more southerly mean upper flow.

next week will get hot... that is pretty much certain, the only question is.... how hot?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

What I think we can say is after the past few warm days heat will intensify  into next week according to gfs and ecm  how hot is open to debate  however a minimum should be 30c  in the hottest areas  which should be wonderful for most  further runs needed however   mid to high 30s cannot be ruled out from the evolution we are seeing   unicorn dolphins however i think is a little optimistic 

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
26 minutes ago, draztik said:

People want to come here to learn, not see fanciful lunacy. 40C? Really? 

It amazes me every year. When the GFS is showing cool weather, we are told to ignore and disregard such a 'cold outlier'. Yet when its showing lunacy, we are told to expect it.... madness.

Well we have;

1) A huge Euro/Scandinavian ridge with hot air being drawn into the arctic circle and beyond.

2) An Atlantic trough which also looks to become omnipresent, the jetstream running SW/NE across the north west of the UK.

That broad set up certainly makes a plume event a possibility and more widespread heatwave conditions cannot be ruled out in the last few days of July. It only takes one low to stall and sink south in the Atlantic like on the GFS and we get roasted. It might or might not happen but to dismiss it entirely looks unwise at the moment and frankly it more brought on about desire than the evidence we have in front of us.

As for the ECM, sums up the metoffice thoughts with the East hot next week and the west a little cooler and fresher with showers (There would likely be some kind of dividing line where some thunderstorms could break out). Week 2 suggests again that high pressure could begin to dominate more widely but again that is too far away to make a judgement call.

ECM ens to day 10

EDM1-144.GIF?18-0   EDM1-192.GIF?18-0   EDM1-240.GIF?18-0

Inconclusive in terms of whether the ridge or trough will dominate, a sort of in between where the east is warmest and the west has more of an Atlantic influence though again nowhere would be cool under this set up unless you get very unlucky under a frontal system.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Amazed at the last page of comments actually, the point is there is a real chance of weather records being broken in the next week or two, of course there is uncertainty, if there wasn't our hobby wouldn't even exist.  Shortly we'll have the ECM ensembles, but before that, this is looking most interesting on the FIM9 12z at T204:

image.thumb.jpg.1f278c119c487a26591b9c0c92bd7498.jpg

• Like 6