Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 14/04/18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

To be honest folks no model agreement in the next ten days cool and wet gfs  warm and wet ecm we shall see

h850t850eu.png

ecmt850.240.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

ECM is barmy hot but I think its OTT at moment so I will refrain from posting any smiley emotioncons until all three main models reach an agreement and im seeing this heat within 72 range and not 144.  How many times do we see plumes and major heat get watered down until its a non-event? I think reality is needed - next week is still FI.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
9 minutes ago, 38.5*C said:

ECM is barmy hot but I think its OTT at moment so I will refrain from posting any smiley emotioncons until all three main models reach an agreement and im seeing this heat within 72 range and not 144.  How many times do we see plumes and major heat get watered down until its a non-event? I think reality is needed - next week is still FI.  

Well 2 days ago we were faced with the very real possibility of the trough being slap bang over the UK! This is getting very close to the reliable, I’d say if it’s still there by the 12z runs tomorrow we will have sat/sun/mon at 96-144, and you’d think it’ll be fairly certain. The trough as a complication from ex-Chris has been resolved, so  fairly confident.

Posted

There are two forcing features so to speak at play as we move through the latter part of July, one is the persistant high to our NE, but the other is the atlantic which is forcing down on the azores high and will cause it to retreat away from the UK. The question is whether we see enough depth in warm uppers from the continent build NE through SE parts to fend off the atlantic, but in turn quite likely allow a heat low of sorts to develop to our SW, or we see a bit of a stand off and a slack pressure pattern take hold with instability thanks to the hot air.

My reckoning is the slack pressure pattern, not the extreme heat some are talking about, but a humid airstream - and a sneaky trough then finding its way into western shores with a slow breakdown - a bit like has just occurred.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, damianslaw said:

There are two forcing features so to speak at play as we move through the latter part of July, one is the persistant high to our NE, but the other is the atlantic which is forcing down on the azores high and will cause it to retreat away from the UK. The question is whether we see enough depth in warm uppers from the continent build NE through SE parts to fend off the atlantic, but in turn quite likely allow a heat low of sorts to develop to our SW, or we see a bit of a stand off and a slack pressure pattern take hold with instability thanks to the hot air.

My reckoning is the slack pressure pattern, not the extreme heat some are talking about, but a humid airstream - and a sneaky trough then finding its way into western shores with a slow breakdown - a bit like has just occurred.

Completely agree. You've hit the nail I think. Humidity looks to be the key.

Very noticeable is the lack of 1030+mb heights that we were initially seeing, replaced by, as you say, something slacker. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

A very pleasing Ecm 12z ensemble mean hot on the heels of that fantastic operational earlier this evening!!☺?️?️

ECMAVGEU12_120_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_144_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_144_2.png

ECMAVGEU12_168_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_168_2.png

ECMAVGEU12_192_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_192_2.png

ECMAVGEU12_216_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_216_2.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_2.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
6 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Might I be allowed to enquire as to whether this might at least allow some thundery precipitation?

Posted

I must be missing something 

What I see is high pressure way out in Atlantic extending and keeping a slight ridge over us. A mix of sunshine and cloud and primarily because it's mid Summer temps remain quite good.

Surely awesome would be a high parked over us with a light easterly flow off the continent.

Of course things could be a lot worse just trying to establish the realism that whilst it's not a full on breakdown nor is it glorious sunshine

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Day 6 charts

UKMO/GFS

UW144-21.GIF?17-06   gfs-0-144.png

The UKMO gets the ridge fully across the UK, the GFS seems to have a more organised area of low heights to our north which pushes down on the ridge somewhat though for many the weather is fine and very warm and thisrun does seem to have a little more amplification so more of a ridge might appear later on to our east.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

Fwiw, latest ec46 maintains generally settled conditions throughout August. Temps stay above average. Lower than average affecting w and s Iberia and se Europe which is also wetter than average. Scandi stays warm and dry. Obviously this is averaged out mean data. The uk prone to troughs trying to edge in from the west from time to time as would be expected. No sign on this model of any deviation from what the telecons have been signaling.  No surprise UU have brought in a hosepipe ban from the fifth - perhaps they were waiting for this latest run for final guidance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
8 hours ago, Frosty. said:

A very pleasing Ecm 12z ensemble mean hot on the heels of that fantastic operational earlier this evening!!☺?️?️

ECMAVGEU12_120_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_144_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_144_2.png

ECMAVGEU12_168_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_168_2.png

ECMAVGEU12_192_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_192_2.png

ECMAVGEU12_216_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_216_2.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_2.png

Indeed so Frosty. Here at Broadmayne I have had just half a millimetre of rain in the last 47 days and looking like more of the same.  On course at my station for the driest June/July on record (including 1976)

Posted

Wow ukmo seems even more hot and humid on this 00z run that last nights run!!seems defo more humid and hot for friday and saturday than what was showing before but thats mainly thannks to a shortwave cutting through the west of the uk end ending up near biscay!!though yesterday it showed that same shortwave going north east towards norway!!hmm doesnt give you much confidence in the ouput especially when gfs is different at the same time!!still looking hot on both runs though and rainfall pretty much non existent!!!

• Like 2

Posted

00z runs look good - ecm developing something of a nw/se split, with the hot stuff tending to be further towards the s/se. This ties in with the met update too. July going out like it started - flaming hot!

• Like 4

Posted

Hmmm gfs 06z seems to have gone trough crazy after 200 hours on the 06z run!!surely wont be that low pressure dominated will it!!

Posted

It's looking like yesterday morning's ECM ensembles were a bit of a one off; the outlook remains warm with tendencies to a NE ridge and a southerly influence on the UK, but the extreme plumes of yesterday have shrunk back.

D11 on the clusters now looks like rather more of a fight being put up by the Atlantic trough, though still potential for a plume and only the control run cluster doesn't look predominately warm/hot

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018071700_264.

By D15, the battle between Atlantic trough / Scandi ridge is still going on, but not really clear where the battle lines will be drawn. Further west, hot for the UK, further east, we could be stuck under the trough. Hey, haven't I heard that once or twice recently?

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018071700_360.

But with troughing consistently getting downgraded as T0 approaches this summer, you have to feel the ridge is still in a good position to win out even as August approaches.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
11 minutes ago, shaky said:

Hmmm gfs 06z seems to have gone trough crazy after 200 hours on the 06z run!!surely wont be that low pressure dominated will it!!

Yep, seems keen, again, to rush in unsettled Atlantic westerlies. But, as we've seen before over recent few weeks when it's tried to breakdown the drought and heat, it hasn't been correct. It will happen, but I'm not holding my breath for next week at least. Would think the Atlantic trough trying to bring the breakdown it shows is more likely to disrupt to the west and southwest, as they have done before, because of blocking close to the east and NE being underestimated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I notice the words very hot are in the latest update from exeter which is why I'm showing these charts from the GEFS 6z..it could well be that the hottest weather this summer is still to come!?️?️

13_300_850tmp.png

13_300_2mtmpmax.png

13_372_850tmp.png

20_366_2mtmpmax.png

20_366_850tmp.png

• Like 6

Posted

Ignore the 6z op as well, cold outlier....rest of the ensemble mean matches the ecm and ukmo take on things. Heat wave part 26 due to start in a few days!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1