Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 14/04/18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
9 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

The crumb of comfort for this week at least is that maxima and minima are pretty reasonable and that it should feel quite fresh.

Looking ahead though the GFS has a ridge again by 8 over the UK albeit the rest of this month looks quite messy with a lot of col/weak ridge type weather. 

I get the impression that the weather wants to break down now but that the Atlantic simply lacks the energy to make it happen. 

From a weather fan prespective at least (even if i dislike humidity and heat) it's pretty incredible.

GFSOPEU12_192_1.png

GFSOPEU12_240_33.png

As I said yesterday, the background pattern is slowly changing. It is an arduous process at the minute though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
29 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

if the 850's are around +10 expect something like mid 20's c depending on sunshine but if they are nearer +15 uppers, something like high 20's to low 30's c can be expected, again, depending on the sun being out for a reasonable length of time.☺

Well uppers were only around 11-12c today and we reached 31c at Mildenhall...they don’t have to be exceptional to get really high temperatures. Plenty of factors come into play, in fact a lot of high temperatures in this heat spell have come from 850s nearer to 10c than 15c. Right time of the year, strong 500mb heights, dry airmass and a long run without rain have helped boost temps.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Euro is even messier than the GFS but in its biggest attempt to melt me yet we get 30C probably over a wide area with humidity likely to boot..

ECMOPEU12_240_1.png

Posted
22 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Lapse rates now should be around 13-14C however the lack of soil moisture and clear skies has amplified that a bit. 

I think this is very conservative, we routinely do better than that even in average summers. 10C 850hPa temps in these parts nearly always bring 25C in summer with decent amounts of sunshine and favourable wind direction. As a guide I usually add 15C and in dry spells such as this one, maybe 17C. Uppers of around 9C here today have produced a temperature of 26.2C at the surface.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Scorcher said:

I think this is very conservative, we routinely do better than that even in average summers. 10C 850hPa temps in these parts nearly always bring 25C in summer with decent amounts of sunshine and favourable wind direction. As a guide I usually add 15C and in dry spells such as this one, maybe 17C. Uppers of around 9C here today have produced a temperature of 26.2C at the surface.

That was my point. Lapse rates change with the sun from around 9C to 15C on average so being a month from the solistance we should be around 14C now.. of course we've had almost no rain for months which is amplifying things. 

Posted

ECM looking a lot different from the 00z, so not much help on that front. Until the weekend low and how that moves away is resolved we won’t really have a clear picture.

• Like 1

Posted

ECM temperatures close to 30C from Thursday over southern areas to the end of the run. Probably a tad over 30C if you add the usual 2-3C to the raw data. 

The new "breakdown" at the 25th was well supported by the ensembles this morning, but any forecasted breakdown needs to be treated with a pinch of salt considering recent form, I guess? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Sarah Keith-Lucas on BBC forecast for this week - 'cooler and more unsettled towards the end of this week' - huh!?! well I can't see that at all!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

Sarah Keith-Lucas on BBC forecast for this week - 'cooler and more unsettled towards the end of this week' - huh!?! well I can't see that at all!

Lovely lady probably old data. Who knows

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

It really is ridiculous that BBC are forecasting this when we can all see looking at the NWP thats not happening.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

It really is ridiculous that BBC are forecasting this when we can all see looking at the NWP thats not happening.

But it will be cooler (it won't be 31C every day, for a start - and there's always a chance of rain...) So why is the Beeb's forecast necessarily wrong? Like you can predict the weather, with the utmost accuracy, six-/seven-days' hence!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

And over the weekend she added to that, looking at the models including the ECM she should be going by, not seeing that either 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Good 12s all round today, but I think that's what most were expecting.  A few more to add to the good news story, the JMA (T192), and FIM9 and FV3 at T240:

image.thumb.jpg.67ca0bc9b0a27e12b20f7907e30e01b3.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.7473189111b0a0e3ac5a5144ddd299df.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.27598944c8c76bcf164c876c73727941.jpg

The GFS parallel/FV3 particularly keen on building the heights into Scandi - the long hot summer of 2018 continues!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Well the pub run seems to have its mind made up as to where we're headed, here at T210, Scandi high anyone, cheers 

image.thumb.jpg.4d00b60d228dca40d5117b9f69e2cd4c.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
9 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

indeed so NWS the BBC extended forecast has become pretty poor since meteo group took over the contract. I still watch it but then look at the met office to see really likely to happen.

Edited by Broadmayne blizzard
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
19 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

So far, I'd rank it 4th, after 1975, '76 and '95 (which all lasted through August, as well as just June and July). But, as I can't remember either 1947 or '59, I'll leave those years for others to compare...

Come on models: make summer great again!

83?.... id rate 83 along with 75, 76, 95... currently this heatwave is only 3 weeks old, so has yet to 'beat' 2013, 2006, etc... but indications are that we will get more heat with no significant breakdown. so this summer is likely to feature as one of the greatest, and certainly the greatest since 1995.

12 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

UW144-21.GIF?15-19

I'm lost for words at tonight's UKMO. Just where has this breakdown GONE? UKMO has completely cancelled it tonight. I'm starting to believe in a July with absolutely no rainfall in my location - after about 1mm last month. Is this really the UK? 

to be fair, theres been no 'breakdown' as such, just a slackening of pressure and temps for some time. :)

8-14 day chart suggests more unsettled with plumes possible thunderstorms, and adds weight to the clusters posted earlier..

814day.03.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
14 hours ago, sixfootdrifter said:

There is no water shortage. There is more than enough in reserve. Stop fretting.

Mmmm.... well in my area ( east Midlands) farmers being told this week  is the last for abstraction for irrigation of crops from some parts of " the Trent   and Mease  rivers" .....  not good  for the plant's  or  price in the shop's   IF WE DON'T GET THE RAIN. 

but looking at the longer range forecast  it's not coming  YET.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Well if you like the great summer 2018 heat wave, the ecm 00z is just for you....turning very hot again into next week. Temps probably pushing past 32c/90f again as it heats up. Crazy stuff.

• Like 4