Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 14/04/18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
26 minutes ago, Dominic Carey said:

ECM leading the way this morning with warm/hot weather, then UKMO is also good.

Yes there are very good signs of further heat to come longer term..and of course the increasing heat through the rest of this week is already safely in the bag!?️

UW144-7.gif

ECM0-240.gif

ECM1-240.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Something of a standoff now developing between the models..

The Euro has the Atlantic in retreat and never gets the cold front through, high pressure just rebuilds. 

ECMOPEU00_240_1.png

The GFS has a rather swift move through even if warm and showery afterward. 

GFSOPEU00_168_33.png

My own personal thoughts are that both models are wrong. 

The trade surge that started around the turn of the month in the Pacific should given it's strength reasonably be expected to produce a stronger Atlantic downstream, hence the breakdown (or attempt). The background pattern however is one of high global angular momentum which will tend to draw the Atlantic back a bit. So i don't really see a mean trough over Europe nor high pressure winning. 

u.anom.30.5S-5N.gif

The NOAA map looks about right to me with cyclonic south westerlies if you flatten the cyclone and move the Scandi High a bit further south over Europe.

610day.03.gif 

Basically.. warm, showery and better in the south and east. 

Edited by summer blizzard
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
3 minutes ago, shaky said:

And all.of a sudden the atlantic comes to a halt.on the 06z gfs at 144 hours!!seems to be going ecms way right now!!

Looks very similar to the 00z to me - low heights building across the UK region....not a patch on the ECM!

Posted

Yeah, at day 6 the trough is lifting out however the secondary piece of energy has already phased more than the Euro and so instead of getting cut off and dying, it gets through. 

GFSOPEU06_144_1.png

GFSOPEU06_168_33.png

Posted

GFS 6z is rotten to the core....throw in the bin please. Worst case scenario.

• Like 1

Posted

ECM ensembles out - and don’t look anything like as bad as the gfs is making out. One of them is going to be seriously wrong here.

No UK based trough here at all at 192:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018071000_192.

Not bad at 240:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018071000_240.

Very interesting by the end:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018071000_312.

Posted
9 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

No it isnt, it shows increasing warmth / heat and humidity through the rest of this week, especially further s / e..there's plenty of sunshine to come and then an increasing risk of heavy showers / thunderstorms..perfect summer recipe in my book!

06_33_uk2mtmp.png

06_57_uk2mtmp.png

06_57_mslp500.png

06_57_precipratec.png

06_81_uk2mtmp.png

06_81_precipratec.png

06_81_ukcape.png

06_105_uk2mtmp.png

06_129_uk2mtmp.png

06_129_mslp850.png

06_129_ukthickness850.png

06_153_mslp850.png

06_153_ukcape.png

06_177_ukthickness850.png

06_177_uk2mtmp.png

06_177_mslp850.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

No drought concerns in north east England if it came off either. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

No it isnt, it shows increasing warmth / heat and humidity through the rest of this week, especially further s / e..there's plenty of sunshine to come and then an increasing risk of heavy showers / thunderstorms..perfect summer recipe in my book!

Only one caveat, Karl: that an already none-too-good-looking potato crop might end up being ravaged by blight? My bag of chips'll cost about £5!:help:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

ECM ensembles out - and don’t look anything like as bad as the gfs is making out. One of them is going to be seriously wrong here.

No UK based trough here at all at 192:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018071000_192.

Not bad at 240:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018071000_240.

Very interesting by the end:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018071000_312.

What's really interesting about cluster 1 is that it has the negative heights anomaly precariously close to the UK at D11, but it actually withdraws it back into the Atlantic by D13/D14. That suggests something is pushing back at Atlantic troughing. Which would be the kind of scenario where a stable-ish plume can exist, where southerly winds can persist for a few days. The UK would then be precariously positioned, potentially either under a trough or under a plume.

Cluster 2 (not a small cluster at all) looks like a renewed push of heights across NW Europe - a much simpler continuation of our hot summer.

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

06_33_uk2mtmp.png

06_57_uk2mtmp.png

06_57_mslp500.png

06_57_precipratec.png

06_81_uk2mtmp.png

06_81_precipratec.png

06_81_ukcape.png

06_105_uk2mtmp.png

06_129_uk2mtmp.png

06_129_mslp850.png

06_129_ukthickness850.png

06_153_mslp850.png

06_153_ukcape.png

06_177_ukthickness850.png

06_177_uk2mtmp.png

06_177_mslp850.png

Yeah but we all know the rest of this week and the weekend is nailed down as decent now....that bit is fine. It’s after where it all goes Pete tong.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It’s after where it all goes Pete tong.

After that is FI! .enjoy this week, the weekend and into next week first and then see what happens.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Yeah but we all know the rest of this week and the weekend is nailed down as decent now....that bit is fine. It’s after where it all goes Pete tong.

But it doesn't go 'Pete Tong' - it merely suggests that, at long last, we might get some much-needed rain to go with all the heat...

• Like 8

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

But it doesn't go 'Pete Tong' - it merely suggests that, at long last, we might get some much-needed rain to go with all the heat...

It sure does! But here in East Atacama....I mean Anglia, it doesn't rain anymore, remember?! :D

• Like 2

Posted
45 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Looks very similar to the 00z to me - low heights building across the UK region....not a patch on the ECM!

Seems to lose it after!!but defo keeps the heat and humidity into next week which it was not doing before!!think its doing what it normally does and struggle when there are heights to our north east!!yesterday had a full on westerly by monday and today its nowhere near that and is way slacker!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

Something of a standoff now developing between the models..

The Euro has the Atlantic in retreat and never gets the cold front through, high pressure just rebuilds. 

ECMOPEU00_240_1.png

The GFS has a rather swift move through even if warm and showery afterward. 

GFSOPEU00_168_33.png

My own personal thoughts are that both models are wrong. 

The trade surge that started around the turn of the month in the Pacific should given it's strength reasonably be expected to produce a stronger Atlantic downstream, hence the breakdown (or attempt). The background pattern however is one of high global angular momentum which will tend to draw the Atlantic back a bit. So i don't really see a mean trough over Europe nor high pressure winning. 

u.anom.30.5S-5N.gif

The NOAA map looks about right to me with cyclonic south westerlies if you flatten the cyclone and move the Scandi High a bit further south over Europe.

610day.03.gif 

Basically.. warm, showery and better in the south and east. 

completely agree .... it would be a rare thing IF the consistent noaa charts are far wrong. both the current ecm (00z) and gfs (06z) have little or no support for their more progressive suggested evolutions.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

I’ll take cluster 2 please, with a side order of ECM. As said, cluster 1 is just a plume and then probably complete muck afterwards. 

As usual, I suspect GFS is being way too dramatic. 

Posted

As expected, the GEFS 6z mean paints a nicer picture than the operational through low res with a north / south split, southern uk having a good deal of fine warm weather thanks to some weak azores ridging which strengthens later,  rather cooler and more unsettled further n / nw due to lower heights to the NW but the next week or so is dominated by warm / very warm surface conditions with plenty of sunshine, especially further s / e but with an increasing risk of potentially thundery showers as time goes on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Well despite the excellent EC op it seems Exeter are plumping for something more like GFS6Z with the emphasis firmly on unsettled weather spreading to all parts through the coming weekend.

Not a moan from me but somethings going to have to give modelwise , probably very soon.

Im rooting for ECM so again the 12zs will be fascinating. :)

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

the emphasis firmly on unsettled weather spreading to all parts through the coming weekend.

So soon?..the models i'm looking at show a warm / very warm weekend, especially further s / e with sunshine and the risk of isolated / scattered heavy showers with thunder.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 07:02, Timmytour said:

I've seen this before. Expect the warm/very warm weather to continue to around 19th July. Then it all slips back into a more Atlantic driven pattern with plenty of rain to alleviate any concerns that may have arisen by then about water shortages.

This is all part of a well known pattern of weather that often occurs over the UK in the summer.

It's known as " It Was Nice Until The Kids Broke Up For School"

If you look through the last month you have to say the ECM has been excellent and maybe is the form horse to follow here.

that said, I'm no teleconnections guy but..... :)

• Like 3

Posted
30 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

So soon?..the models i'm looking at show a warm / very warm weekend, especially further s / e with sunshine and the risk of isolated / scattered heavy showers with thunder.

Yeah i was a bit suprised reading it karl..its hard to tell looking at ukmo model but id suggest at 144 things look like going downhill fairly quickly so i guess they are choosing it over ECM..Like you im a fan of seasonal weather so im rooting for ECM :)

Saying all that today was supposed to be quite cloudy here and there really isnt a cloud in the sky!!

• Like 1