Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Unsure of what to make of the ECM 12z, here from T144:

image.thumb.jpg.d42ca7f052bcff5a31da4a86b302a1e7.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.3d60a23683261260956aeed87900b4aa.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.809c804700ece95faf8490552722f465.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.2df7090c84087b405429aa6089f28780.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.812731e1c913b4edc036ee5d9bcad850.jpg

But eventually it zooms in on that plume scenario that has been mentioned on here a few times now, but yet to show up on the op runs.  Well, until now.  Interesting.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Decent ecm also, trough tries to move in but with a weak jet and blocking high to the east it never really makes it. 

BBC long ranger tonight says low pressure will make it after next weekend, but seeing the 12z runs tonight you wouldn’t want to put your house on it!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Decent ecm also, trough tries to move in but with a weak jet and blocking high to the east it never really makes it. 

BBC long ranger tonight says low pressure will make it after next weekend, but seeing the 12z runs tonight you wouldn’t want to put your house on it!

The BBC short and long range forecast always seems to be a day behind current modelling. Just laughable really.

ECM 12z walks a tightrope but the low never makes it.

• Like 1

Posted

The feature of the modelling this drought filled Summer is that the models keep putting back any breakdown. 

I really thought that a breakdown was coming after next weekend, now I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I wouldn't put a cucumber on it! 

Nah save it for a G&T! 

ECM and GFS adding to the uncertainty with this evening's output. More runs needed and it'll be fascinating to see how the situation evolves through next week 

Posted

Hot and humid ecm this evening!!the charts just keep getting better and better and keep extending the dry and warmth!!any breakdown just keep getting pushed back each time!!over to the 00zs!!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
8 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

ECM temperatures high 20s from Thursday onwards and pushing 30 daily from the weekend until the end of the run. 

If this run verified (of course it won't exactly), it would cement the summer of 2018 as one of the all time greats. By T240, the current heatwave would already have been going three and a half weeks - but T240 would be followed by a direct hit from Spain two days later, which would no doubt be 35C plus. 

Put the low 300 miles east, though, and the heatwave breaks down. 

The models showed this over the last few days,i just hope that tomorrows set of runs continues from todays:)

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Just feels like we have been on holiday abroad for the last few weeks and looks set to continue for the foreseeable, every break down seems to get pushed back day after day not that I’m complaining although is a bit hot for working in. Let’s hope for a real good thunderstorm in the not to distant future. In the meantime let’s look forward to the cool weather on Wednesday if you can call it cool  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

The 12z FIM9 exemplifies the brief nature of the 'blip' and even then it's only northern areas might be affected, but by the end of the run, high pressure starting to build back, go summer part two⚽

Attempt to paste animated GIF failed twice so here are two charts from the FIM run, T192 and T240:

image.thumb.jpg.a9cfacc812ad53c2d90cd7f57e1d0ae2.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.0873c13009522a2ea41b77e752a17df1.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
2 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

My initial conclusion from the 12Zs is that any idea of a breakdown by the end of next weekend is dead in the water. Still looking like there may be a chance of a breakdown by 17/18th (on some outputs). Will it? 

I have found so far this Summer that as soon as the model as the timeframe is over 240 hours they automatically forecast a breakdown...

We will probably still be here at the start of August seeing a breakdown being forecast at T240 still being pushed back  

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Funny i should say this but i am looking forward to the 18z to see if it shows the stalling low preasure to our west again,just like in the winter month's when we look for a northerly or an easterly or height's pushing into Greenland,i don't normally post in the summer months but this summer has been exceptional so far and i want more:diablo:☀️

common gfs you can do it:)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

ECM day 10 signifies the doorway to southerly heat - on top of the current wave of hot weather- the +20c isotherm may come knocking..

Similar conditions to prevail for winter with a similar 20c isotherm also knocking for Feb 19

8BBF16D6-FD0A-47A9-8100-A9201372455D.thumb.png.fb4f2e2a846d9567ae7ab42a8ac75e4c.png

So glad you mentioned the CFS Steve...

I've posted a bit in the banter thread RE the averaged CFS runs of late.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Northerly blocking??...

Well defined Euro troughing

glbz700MonInd6.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
2 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

ECM day 10 signifies the doorway to southerly heat - on top of the current wave of hot weather- the +20c isotherm may come knocking..

Similar conditions to prevail for winter with a similar 20c isotherm also knocking for Feb 19

8BBF16D6-FD0A-47A9-8100-A9201372455D.thumb.png.fb4f2e2a846d9567ae7ab42a8ac75e4c.png

With how warm the seas are getting now locally, it would be a very beefy snow machine! 

• Like 2

Posted

Morning model watchers,

Still very big difference around today which aren't helping resolve things after the weekend.

GFS kills the ridge by Sunday, with the trough winning slowly through by day 10:

gfs-0-144.png   gfs-0-240.png

GEM similar:

gem-0-144.png?00  gem-0-234.png?00

UKMO is much better at 144:

UW144-21.GIF?09-07

ECM in-between:

ECM1-144.GIF?09-12

In all probability, the trough will probably come into play for a while. For everyone wanting a good splash of rain, your salvation may not be far off:

240-777UK.GIF?09-0

A few dry-ish spots on there out to day 10, but the majority seeing some significant rain, and the first for over a month in many places.

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 6

Posted

Make the most of the setttled sunny weather this week cos according to the 00z runs from gfs and ecm things go downhill from monday!!not to say it wont change on the 12zs but this was always coming!!cant believe the heat has lasted this long anyway!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

ECM also has the low as the dominant feature by day 10....but a bit of perspective needed! It’s not a total washout, and much of England and Wales stays relatively mild.

Cooler and more unsettled the further north and west you go.

• Like 1

Posted

The breakdown has been shown for the middle of the month awhile now,and its come forward today,the atlantic returns,could do with some rain then.

Rtavn1441.gifRecm1681.gif