Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 14/04/18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the GEFS 00z mean, it's a hot start to the week across the south, tuesday is the coolest day if you can call low to mid 20's c cool!! and then from wednesday it starts hotting up again..throughout the week ahead shows high pressure / strong ridging and plenty of sunshine. Looking at the extended outlook, although it shows lower heights to the NW and less azores high / ridge influence it still looks like a north / south split with southern uk and especially the southeast never cool with temps between 23 / 25c and although a bit more changeable, it's really the far NW which looks coolest and most unsettled beyond the next week / 10 days ahead.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

The ECM ensemble mean is pretty favourable at 144:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018070800_144.

By day 10 not looking so good:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018070800_240.

By day 13 full on cyclonic westerly:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018070800_312.

ECM has been flip flopping a lot recently. The 00z isn't great after next weekend, whatever way you look at it.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

On top of the Euro0z the GFS6z also illustrates my point well..

At day 7 we go sub-1020mb as the upper ridge fades..

GFSOPEU06_168_1.png

At day 8 the front passes with little fight..

GFSOPEU06_192_33.png

Posted

The Gfs 6z operational shows predominantly settled warm / very warm weather during the week ahead, hot at first in the south, then temps dip a little on tues before rising again from midweek to and including next weekend when some areas become hot again, there's eventually an increasing risk of isolated heavy showers / thunderstorms developing. The following week shows some heavy rain around but still with sunny spells, warm / very warm temps and quite humid further s / e with a slow moving trough to the west and warm air pumping north ahead of it..it takes until deep FI for the trough to move east over the uk. I would say there's plenty more of this very summery weather to come during the next 7-10 days and even beyond that could still be pretty decent, at least further south.

06_153_uk2mtmp.png

06_153_mslp500.png

06_153_precipratec.png

06_177_uk2mtmp.png

06_177_mslp850.png

06_252_mslp500.png

06_252_uk2mtmp.png

06_276_uk2mtmp.png

06_276_mslp850.png

06_300_mslp500.png

06_300_uk2mtmp.png

06_324_uk2mtmp.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
28 minutes ago, 38.5*C said:

1995? 1976? Yeh right.

Even 1995 and 1976 had their cooler, wetter spells. We can't expect 3 months of heat and sunshine in this country. 

A wetter spell does seem more likely after next weekend, however who's to say August won't see the heat return? 

Edited by danm

Posted
40 minutes ago, 38.5*C said:

1995? 1976? Yeh right.

Also a chance the storm will encourage heights ahead of it and then stall behind them - which could lead to a plume. 

Looking less certain in general that the SE will turn that unsettled in the next two weeks now - a short pause at best (worst?) on most ensembles. 

Further out on the ECM extended, by D15 most runs put the SE close enough to euro heights to continue enjoying useful summer weather. Less certain in the north. Also signs of a Scandia ridge developing on many runs. 

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 5

Posted

That could happen - pretty unlikely at the moment, best I can find that matches that evolution is P3 from the 6z ensembles (warm outlier) which stalls the low out west so that by day 10 it's dragged a plume up:

GFSP03EU06_222_1.pngGFSP03EU06_222_2.png

It actually stalls the low and locks in the heat right through to day 15 too.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns
1 hour ago, danm said:

Even 1995 and 1976 had their cooler, wetter spells. We can't expect 3 months of heat and sunshine in this country. 

A wetter spell does seem more likely after next weekend, however who's to say August won't see the heat return? 

We can't expect 3 months of heat and sunshine in this country, but it is still possible. Especially if any Atlantic interference in mid range and FI continues to be pushed back or be aborted time and again! My money is on many more weeks of high pressure and heat! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

I think tonight's 12 suite will be interesting, it looks settled until next weekend but what happens next is just out of the reliable timeframe for the models.  UKMO looks decent as far as it goes, but the interesting times are later than that, T144:

image.thumb.jpg.264b5bd6ac02f091eb8264950328b239.jpg

ICON out to T180 has the NW / SE split option:

image.thumb.jpg.d8b72ec65dd4bfbe525fbcd9c6e68d7a.jpg

only the other day I was saying that a tropical storm might upset the pattern, and now we have one in Chris, but it might equally well reset the pattern.  Lots of interest in the model output at the moment.

• Like 7

Posted

12z looks like an improvement to me. Much more straight up west to east movement of the low instead of NW to SE.

12z                                                             06z

GFSOPEU12_156_1.pngGFSOPEU06_162_1.png

Yep Low exits to the northeast of Iceland. Honestly if we manage to wriggle out of this breakdown then this summer approaches legendary status.

GFSOPEU12_171_1.png

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 9

Posted

TS Chris still causing lots of headaches.

UKMO takes it up the eastern seaboard, where it dissipates - opposite to the ECM run. What I don't like is that it pumps a lot of WAA up the western flank of Greenland, which could build heights there and send the trough down towards us, which is where I think the UKMO run would head.

GFS whistles it across the Atlantic, and actually looks heaps better as it stays well to the north, turning things pretty hot again by next weekend:

150-582UK.GIF?08-12

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, shaky said:

Wow an absolutely fantastic set of 12zs from ukmo and gfs this afternoom!!heat just keeps going on and on with high pressure over the uk and lows going over the top!!this really is remarkable!!

This is why I keep saying that until the breakdown is modelled at T120 or less, I’m not convinced. Doesn’t matter what the EC15, EPS or whatever say because they are all susceptible to large scale flips.

Posted

Really like the Gfs 12z operational, it prolongs this predominantly settled very warm / hot spell even further and shows high pressure building in again following a changeable blip! 

12_123_uk2mtmp.png

12_123_mslp500.png

12_147_uk2mtmp.png

12_147_mslp500.png

12_171_uk2mtmp.png

12_171_mslp500.png

12_195_mslp850.png

12_195_uk2mtmp.png

12_219_mslp850.png

12_219_uk2mtmp.png

12_219_ukthickness850.png

12_219_ukcape.png

12_219_precipratec.png

12_240_uk2mtmp.png

12_312_mslp500.png

12_360_mslp500.png

• Like 7

Posted

My initial conclusion from the 12Zs is that any idea of a breakdown by the end of next weekend is dead in the water. Still looking like there may be a chance of a breakdown by 17/18th (on some outputs). Will it? 

• Like 6