Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 14/04/18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

WEE.NL have this for next weekend

36352024_304782923395613_6298941646960590848_n.png

Load of old rubbish - no date stamp, doesn't correlate with any model output, and why it has a photoshopped 48c put on there I'll never know. The all-time European record of 48c is in Greece, and won't be reached in France.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

What has the GFS parallel been on?  This is some anticyclone at this time of year, it looks like a big red flat fish sat over the UK!  T240:

image.thumb.jpg.ae9915a1d50fd792baa3aecb2a320418.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

GFS maximum temperatures for this afternoon. Gives a high of 21'C in Stoke. It's 24'C already....

5650EEF2-7C5E-40D4-BDB2-616D72E5D0F4.png

Looks like its gona be 5 or 6 degrees out lol!!!madness!!its already nearly 26 in leicester!arpege has been the most accurate for around here so far so tomorrows forecast from the arpege for temps of 30 31 degrees might not be far of

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
5 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

GFS maximum temperatures for this afternoon. Gives a high of 21'C in Stoke. It's 24'C already....

Same here, shows 26 max but it’s only 1pm and it’s already 25C and rising!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

GFS max temps are a joke, it's 25C here too. I swear that GFS max temps never used to be this inaccurate. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, 38.5*C said:

I think GFS forecasts the shade temps and not the max temps when actually in the sun. so if in shade its 21c it could be 24c in the sun. Might be wrong as I don't really know.

All temperatures are recorded in the shade so that shouldn't make a difference. I've seen thermometers in the sun showing temperatures over 40C!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
12 minutes ago, 38.5*C said:

I think GFS forecasts the shade temps and not the max temps when actually in the sun. so if in shade its 21c it could be 24c in the sun. Might be wrong as I don't really know.

more than that I would think, 21C in shade surely would be late 30's in sun?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
33 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Hopeless mate!!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

Annoying  to have lost the eps clusters for the past three runs ..........

Yes done this a couple of times recently! 

Looking through individual ECM ensembles, the overwhelming majority keep the high pressure in charge well into the D11-15 period, with temperatures not too different to what we're seeing now. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Sun temperature currently 500yrds from Bmth airport where I’m golfing is 52c. In the shade my kestrel is recording 27.2c almost the same as the station a few hundred yards away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the GEFS 6z mean in the short / medium / longer term..one word sums it up..BEAUTIFUL..right out towards the middle of july, more of the same glorious weather as we have now, hottest further south.

21_204_500mb.png

21_204_2mtmpmax.png

21_276_500mb.png

21_276_2mtmpmax.png

21_300_500mb.png

21_324_500mb.png

21_348_500mb.png

21_348_2mtmpmax.png

21_372_500mb.png

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Sun temperature currently 500yrds from Bmth airport where I’m golfing is 52c. In the shade my kestrel is recording 27.2c almost the same as the station a few hundred yards away.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
31 minutes ago, cheese said:

All temperatures are recorded in the shade so that shouldn't make a difference. I've seen thermometers in the sun showing temperatures over 40C!

Which is more likely.

On the subject of GFS temperatures they do seem to be under doing the temperatures at the moment. However still doing better than the met office for our area which is about 2C to 4C out and corrected upwards as the day goes on.

Posted

You can't measure temperature in direct sunlight. The thermometer itself will heat up and store solar radiation, so it will give a false reading.

Anyway, the models, particularly the GFS, have been way too low on temperatures all week. Therefore, automated forecasts have also been too. I don't know why they are often too low in such setups but it shows that the GFS temperature output for next week is probably too low as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Sea surface temperatures.

The Met Office contingency planners forecasts from May and June cited cool temperatures in west northern Atlantic and warm temperatures in vicinity of the UK as a reason for higher likelihood of high pressure for UK, and followed the GloSea5 model predictions of higher probability of above average temperatures.  

Here's the current situation, temperatures and anomalies:

image.thumb.jpg.94ca069e196a055967f90d3aa4e4ed5a.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.1c03bd494bb348cb64f270619bb2cd65.jpg

The Azores ridge is clearly enhancing the sea surface temperatures, but are the sea surface temperatures also enhancing the longevity of the ridge i.e. a positive feedback system? It's worth remembering how unusually cold the North Sea temperatures were back in March.  Not any more.

Meanwhile, the GFS parallel 6z isn't letting go, here at T240:

image.thumb.jpg.bd2ded7d41a9b37a5249fddb7ca65b87.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 5

Posted
14 minutes ago, Dominic Carey said:

Fantastic output again today 

Indeed, and I think we will see many more charts like this in the coming hours, days and weeks..summer 2018 is currently firing on all cylinders..long may it continue!?️

ECM1-240.GIF

• Like 8

Posted
3 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

Sea surface temperatures.

The Met Office contingency planners forecasts from May and June cited cool temperatures in west northern Atlantic and warm temperatures in vicinity of the UK as a reason for higher likelihood of high pressure for UK, and followed the GloSea5 model predictions of higher probability of above average temperatures.  

Here's the current situation, temperatures and anomalies:

image.thumb.jpg.94ca069e196a055967f90d3aa4e4ed5a.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.1c03bd494bb348cb64f270619bb2cd65.jpg

The Azores ridge is clearly enhancing the sea surface temperatures, but are the sea surface temperatures also enhancing the longevity of the ridge i.e. a positive feedback system? It's worth remembering how unusually cold the North Sea temperatures were back in March.  Not any more.

Meanwhile, the GFS parallel 6z isn't letting go, here at T240:

image.thumb.jpg.bd2ded7d41a9b37a5249fddb7ca65b87.jpg

The other day the sea temp in Penzance was 17.2c compared to June max previously of 16.5c although its dropped back to 16.7c today

• Like 2

Posted

It's really a perfect outlook next week as the ukmo 12z shows, which is representative of the 12z output so far and indicates generally settled very warm / hot weather with plenty of sunshine right across the uk. 

UKMOPEU12_144_1.png

• Like 2