Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 14/04/18

Posted

I’m a bit confused that there’s still no solid agreement for the the beginning  part of next week but also pleased to see heat potentially returning middle of next week

Edited by Dominic Carey
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, johnholmes said:

Not time to post links to anomaly charts but all three I use now have some kind of troughing in the UK area rather than ridging, that is 6-10 day period from now. This has been a rather uneven transition from the ridging set up.

surely though, its only shallow troughing, and no real return to serious troughing with gales and heavy rain, id have thought the pressure is still on the +ive side of neutral , so some unsettled weather but a lot of fine mainly dry conditions?

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/500mb.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Interesting gfs 06z!!biscay low slightly further south and west and pulls in a drier flow off the continent for sunday and into monday with south east winds!!result is more hot and sunny weather and not as unsettled on sunday either!!apart from a light band of showery rain midday sunday pushing north across england it looks like a pretty good day either side!!saturday looks pretty darn good on this run!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

As some were saying a few weeks ago every classic summer has its unsettled breaks. 2003 and 2006 both had their heatwaves put on hold for some unsettled blips.

Edited by 38.5*C
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Exactly, bit of perspective needed! Every great summer in the UK has had some unsettled blips...for all we know we could be back here towards the middle of July in a similar set up with more heat.

• Like 2

Posted

The progressive ECM op run with its deeper trough by the UK was in the smallest cluster between D5 and D7, with the other clusters maintaining better heights locally:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018062600_120.  ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018062600_144.  ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018062600_168.

though we are nearing the point where op runs should be ahead of ensemble members more consistently.

Beyond D7 still messy, and very much dependent on whether heights can build successfully to our NE - ensembles that do so are much keener on keeping the Atlantic at bay longer term.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Although it would stay warm to hot for some time it would appear that a marked downgrade has occurred overnight with both the Euro and GFS backing yesterday mornings solution of a thundery low moving north and then letting the Atlantic move through. Day 5 is when this process all begins to occur. 

ECMOPEU00_120_1.png

We're obviously going to be exposed to umpteen upgrades/downgrades between now and whenever/if ever the weather/model-output materialises...?

Whenever I used to witter on about what I might have or what might happen (whenever) my mother always told me that 'tomorrow never comes.' I suppose that same logic applies equally to next week?:good:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, 38.5*C said:

As some were saying a few weeks ago every classic summer has its unsettled breaks. 2003 and 2006 both had their heatwaves put on hold for some unsettled blips.

yes they did, as long ago as 75, and 76. it was never 3 months of continuous heat, in fact i believe the longest continuous run of heat (25c+ ) here was in 1995 at 11 days, although there might have been more in '76 i dont know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

yes they did, as long ago as 75, and 76. it was never 3 months of continuous heat, in fact i believe the longest continuous run of heat (25c+ ) here was in 1995 at 11 days, although there might have been more in '76 i dont know.

16 successive days at 32C or higher in June-July 1976, I believe?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

2 hours ago, 38.5*C said:

As some were saying a few weeks ago every classic summer has its unsettled breaks. 2003 and 2006 both had their heatwaves put on hold for some unsettled blips.

The blips are often my favourite bits

?⛈

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
Quoted the wrong post
  • Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

16 successive days at 32C or higher in June-July 1976, I believe?

no i mean in one locality, not nationally. :)

but if you mean one locality, fair enough !

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

no i mean in one locality, not nationally. :)

but if you mean one locality, fair enough !

In which case, either way, we are most definitely both posting in the wrong thread...

Posted

Just one Q please, Tamara: Do you have any idea of how long it would take the developing El Nino signal to overwhelm the inertia contained within the overall ocean-atmosphere system? Does the burgeoning Nino have sufficient momentum to force a major pattern-change, this side of Autumn, do you think? I do struggle with teleconnections!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: High pressure, snow + alll extremes of weather

12z UKMO is looking much more like it. We keep more separation of the Iberian low and Atlantic trough.

This keeps pressure higher through the uk and look at the very warm 850’s being pumped north. GFS doesn’t agree tho, let’s see what the ECM has to say about it. 

56B0F7BF-73D8-4F41-A045-0E584D4E8ADF.jpeg

2557991D-1964-41E3-9F64-8867E3A08D7E.jpeg

BAC75548-98E8-49EA-A379-742DD75103DD.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted

Still quite astonishing differences for that troublesome Iberian low!!

As it's getting close, maybe it's now worth a guess - I guess the GFS is overdoing the low (which is what it tends to do), and the UKMO is under doing it (which is also what it tends to do).

Therefore, can we speculate that the truth is somewhere in the middle - thundery weather reaching the SW earlier than UKMO so Sunday or Monday (hot in the E + N), but not reaching the whole of the UK till later than GFS, so Tuesday or Wednesday?? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: High pressure, snow + alll extremes of weather

12z ECM siding with the UKMO at 120!

201C0160-8009-49CC-928D-86713A1690EE.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Still quite astonishing differences for that troublesome Iberian low!!

As it's getting close, maybe it's now worth a guess - I guess the GFS is overdoing the low (which is what it tends to do), and the UKMO is under doing it (which is also what it tends to do).

Therefore, can we speculate that the truth is somewhere in the middle - thundery weather reaching the SW earlier than UKMO so Sunday or Monday (hot in the E + N), but not reaching the whole of the UK till later than GFS, so Tuesday or Wednesday?? 

You cant make this up lol!!ecm has gone further south again with the biscay low and for england and wales its another hot and sunny day on sunday!!ukmo maybe on the money here!!wiked stuff!!and what a chart at 144 hours!!hot for england and wales again!!biscay low west of portugal lol!madness!!

Edited by shaky
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Or maybe not given the 12z ECM @Man With Beard... the fascinating uncertainty grows even larger! 

I wasn’t expecting such an outcome from ECM at first, but then I had a look at the 12z ARPEGE and saw that it was heading along similar lines to UKMO and that started me wondering.

It’s now west of N Atlantic v east of N Atlantic, as GEM is similar to GFS.

Now here’s a thing longer-term; despite the similarity at the weekend to GFS, GEM manages a good move toward the Atlantic trough, Euro-UK ridge pattern as the following week progresses. 

Which is to say, the weekend uncertainties are independent of the ‘how long changeable for’ question for next week.

To be honest, even the notion of more than ‘peripheral’ influence from troughs is coming under fire with today’s trend. Probably still enough to bring some useful rain across 1-3 days, but with temperatures staying on the warm side, perhaps even very warm in any sunnier interludes.

Edited by Singularity
  • Like 8

Posted

Yes EC is a good run for those wanting more warmth.

Much less involvement of the trough to the south on the 12z- looks like there might be a few more twists and turns but i feel after viewing the UKMO the chances of the warm weather lasting through the weekend have increased.

• Like 3