Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 14/04/18

Posted
39 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

For the rest of this week the Ecm 12z ensemble mean indicates plenty more of what we've seen today..i.e..high pressure bringing beautiful blue skies and hot sunshine. As I've mentioned a few times today there is a risk of T-Storms spreading up across southern / southeast england from France from around sunday into the start of next week as it does look like becoming more humid further south during that period but then the mean shows a gradual change from the west from around next midweek as cooler / fresher atlantic air spreads in but of course that could change.:smile: 

EDM1-48.gif

EDM0-48.gif

EDM1-72.gif

EDM1-96.gif

EDM1-120.gif

EDM1-144.gif

EDM0-144.gif

EDM1-168.gif

EDM1-192.gif

EDM0-240.GIF

EDM1-240.GIF

The ECM mean is getting rather consistent about a westerly breakthrough mid-next week - though I agree it is a way off, when the mean does this, it's rarely a million miles away. 

But I also drawn to heights to the NE. Which may mean the Atlantic doesn't break in for long before the next draw from the south? 

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 5

I have a feeling that the breakdown will lead to either a Classic Summer with a July CET above 18C or a disgusting Atlantic destruction à la 2015 with a CET of around 15C. With what 2018 has brought already I just don't see an average/mixed summer. Now I say that it's probably gonna come out bang on average 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Well the BBC long ranger tonight is going full guns with the unsettled Atlantic breakthrough into next week...

32F3CAC5-D48F-4647-BC0F-CA362F04E727.thumb.jpeg.9bf81ad6d1888ebda93f81a0102997ba.jpeg

How exactly does that fit in with this from noaa?? Completely different there surely?!

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Well the BBC long ranger tonight is going full guns with the unsettled Atlantic breakthrough into next week...

32F3CAC5-D48F-4647-BC0F-CA362F04E727.thumb.jpeg.9bf81ad6d1888ebda93f81a0102997ba.jpeg

How exactly does that fit in with this from noaa?? Completely different there surely?!

It might fit in if the breakdown is D9/D10 - the NOAA 8-14 day chart is completely different, much flatter

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

BBC probably go largely with the Euro ensembles though both GFS and Euro tonight go for an Atlantic win at days 8 and 9. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Not had much time to look at the models today, but with ECM and UKMO so different at T144, there's no clarity at all beyond the weekend.  So it's in that spirit I post the first half of the GFS 18z:

tempresult_wfv2.gif

That cut off low starting to cause issues into the weekend.  But uncertain where we go from there.  The GFS parallel 12z seemed to side with ECM take on things, actually decent through to T192:

image.thumb.jpg.b53611cea1fdb933a51a425c9f0c8cf0.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
53 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

BBC probably go largely with the Euro ensembles though both GFS and Euro tonight go for an Atlantic win at days 8 and 9. 

GFS with a more concerted effort to turn gradually more unsettled into July on this evening's run. Could be some thundery activity initially, before the troughing takes hold to a greater extent

Netweather GFS Image

• Like 1

Posted

The eps clusters days 8/10 onwards continue to look a bit more mobile but we’ve seen the extended outlook quite wrong several times already this spring/summer. 

Note the ec 45 is pretty troughy last third July and beyond. First time I’ve seen this outlook so Monday nights forecast awaited with much interest. 

Edited by bluearmy

It’s a shame such a memorable spell of weather will go out with such a whimper, it deserves so much more. It certainly starting to look as through over the weekend temperatures will start to ease off and by the time we get into the middle of next one of those rare events ‘a front’ might starting crossing the country. At this range those like me who love sun and warmth will be hoping it’s just a blip and not a longer term pattern change however our luck can’t go on forever especially given May and June here will both of clocked up 250hrs of sun, the first instance of two months doing so on the bounce in 15years, so the chances of the third reaching that figure are tiny really with it only happening in 1976. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

End of June/beginning of July change from settled to mobile not a good time for a pattern change as it often sets the tone for the rest of the summer. Await the next missive from Tamara to see what the teleconnections are saying.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Uncle_Barty said:

End of June/beginning of July change from settled to mobile not a good time for a pattern change as it often sets the tone for the rest of the summer. Await the next missive from Tamara to see what the teleconnections are saying.

Yes I would agree however the majority of times gfs has introduced the Atlantic it’s only been briefly.

another thing to watch is the huge thermal gradient that will exit the eastern seaboard of the US in the coming few day, could be enough to really fire the jet up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
9 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

It might fit in if the breakdown is D9/D10 - the NOAA 8-14 day chart is completely different, much flatter

exactly, which fits perfectly imho with what you previously posted

9 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

The ECM mean is getting rather consistent about a westerly breakthrough mid-next week - though I agree it is a way off, when the mean does this, it's rarely a million miles away. 

But I also drawn to heights to the NE. Which may mean the Atlantic doesn't break in for long before the next draw from the south? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign
12 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Yes I would agree however the majority of times gfs has introduced the Atlantic it’s only been briefly.

another thing to watch is the huge thermal gradient that will exit the eastern seaboard of the US in the coming few day, could be enough to really fire the jet up

Yes, thats what concerns me. I think it was that scenario that kicked in the summer of 2015 from the start of July onwards. Continent hot and settled while we were under the influence of the jet caused by a large thermal gradient in the W Atlantic.

This might just be a blip similar to what we had a couple of weeks ago, we shall see!

Edited by Uncle_Barty
  • Like 1

Posted

First signs of things turning a lot more unsettled with much needed rainfall from sunday onwards!!ecm joins the gfs and bringing the biscay low northwards!!still.dont think this is nailed down for another couple of days or so!!turns a lot.more humid very briefly for the weekend before turning freshee next week!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The models are looking a lot more unsettled next week which is bad news for the first week of Wimbledon.. but at least centre court has a roof ☔☔☔:D

• Like 1

Posted

Indeed. Make the most of this week folks, things are on the slide into next week!

the ecm actually looks decent again at 240, looks like the Azores high is buildings once again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

The models are looking a lot more unsettled next week which is bad news for the first week of Wimbledon.. but at least centre court has a roof ☔☔☔:D

Court 1 too next year, but yes, full model agreement of turning more showery from the south, staying warm though, good news for many

Posted
7 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

If they hadnt moved wimbledon forward a week, then this week would have traditionally been the first week! Think how good it could have been!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
20 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

the ecm actually looks decent again at 240, looks like the Azores high is building once again.

Indeed, beyond T+240 hours would go on to show fine weather returning.:smile:

240_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

I think people are being a bit pessimistic. While I now don't think July will beat 2006 as I did a few days ago, I think their is still the possibility of this being a classic summer. Let's just wait and see. ECM amongst others are rebuilding the high within a week. 

• Like 1

Posted

Not time to post links to anomaly charts but all three I use now have some kind of troughing in the UK area rather than ridging, that is 6-10 day period from now. This has been a rather uneven transition from the ridging set up.

Posted

Interestingly the ECM mean is unchanged from yesterday, with warm air holding on in the SE until midweek. 

No clusters last night were as progressive as this morning's GFS or ECM op - so I still don't think we've reached resolution yet for the weekend. 

• Like 2

Posted

Although it would stay warm to hot for some time it would appear that a marked downgrade has occurred overnight with both the Euro and GFS backing yesterday mornings solution of a thundery low moving north and then letting the Atlantic move through. Day 5 is when this process all begins to occur. 

ECMOPEU00_120_1.png

• Like 3