Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 14/04/18

Posted

MUCH better 00z runs from GFS/UKMO , now keeping the trough to our west and prolonging the heat -

Tricky evolution for the models but less impact from the low this morning.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 00z looks very summery this morning, lots of high pressure, plenty of sunshine, very blocked and warm / very warm with temps widely into the low to mid 20's celsius..lovely jubbly!:D☀️

• Like 8

Posted

As northwestsnow said, much better 00z runs from the Gfs / Ukmo which both look really summery this morning, the Ukmo charts below indicate it becoming very warm with plenty of sunshine and light winds but a thunderstorm risk too, especially further south..?️

UKMOPEU00_72_1.png

UKMOPEU00_96_1.png

UKMOPEU00_120_1.png

UKMOPEU00_144_1.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted

Looking at the Ecm 00z for the next week or so..it looks very good to me if you like very warm summery weather with sunshine and if you're a thunderstorm enthusiast..it's right up your alley too!:D?️?️☀️

24_thickuk.png

24_mslp850.png

48_thickuk.png

48_mslp850.png

72_thickuk.png

72_mslp850.png

96_thickuk.png

96_mslp850.png

96_thick.png

120_thickuk.png

120_mslp850.png

144_thickuk.png

144_mslp850.png

• Like 7

Posted

Another very warm Bank Holiday..seriously, what's going on with the British weather :shok:!!..amazing stuff and looking further ahead, the Gfs 00z looks very impressively summery I think most would agree!..can't hide my enthusiasm for summery weather!?️

63_uk2mtmp.png

00_63_uk2mtmp.png

00_63_mslp850.png

00_63_ukthickness850.png

00_87_ukthickness850.png

00_111_ukthickness850.png

00_135_ukthickness850.png

00_159_ukthickness850.png

00_183_ukthickness850.png

00_207_ukthickness850.png

00_231_ukthickness850.png

00_240_ukthickness850.png

00_276_ukthickness850.png

00_300_ukthickness850.png

00_324_ukthickness850.png

00_348_ukthickness850.png

• Like 7

Posted

For the most part, high pressure dominates the Gfs 6z although during the next week or so there are some thunderstorms, mainly further south but plenty of dry and sunny weather too. As for temperatures, most of high res shows generally warm / very warm conditions, the warmest further s / se..there is a cooler blip but then it becomes warm again and further into June stays blocked warm and anticyclonic..hopefully June will carry on much as most of May has..summery! 

• Like 3

Posted

Looking at the week ahead, most of the uk will be summery with warm / very warm weather and plenty of sunshine but across central and especially southern areas an ongoing or even an increasing risk of thunderstorms, both homegrown and imported from france. Further ahead the GEFS 6z mean indicates further blocked but generally settled with high pressure in control through the end of may and well into early june with the jet staying way to the north.

21_132_500mb.png

21_156_500mb.png

21_180_500mb.png

21_204_500mb.png

21_294_500mb.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GFS 12z shows the messy evolution predicted over the next week or so might transform into a more warm settled pattern, here to T192:

tempresult_ate6.gif

Which leads to this at T240:

gfs-0-240.png?12

Roll on summer ☀️

• Like 4

Posted

High pressure firmly in charge even next weekend extending right through the following week on the Gfs 12z operational..really loving this blocked / summery late spring pattern which looks like extending into early summer too!..As for the nearer timeframe, warming up further with plenty of sunshine but some thunderstorms continuing to break out across southern areas and also drift up from france with a very continental feel to our weather.

12_168_mslp500.png

12_192_mslp500.png

12_219_mslp500.png

12_240_mslp500.png

12_264_mslp500.png

12_288_mslp500.png

12_288_uk2mtmp.png

12_312_mslp500.png

12_312_uk2mtmp.png

12_324_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

After a hiccup with the 12z's and 18z's yesterday, things look much better with the cool air associated with the low pressure in midweek hanging back further west.

Today in Southampton has also been a cracking day with temperatures upto 26C and a sunny afternoon too. June 2012 this aint , with high pressure staying in control for the next week according to the 12z. Though the UKMO 12z still looks iffy

Fingers crossed the storms deliver tonight... and for the rest of the BH.

• Like 4

Posted

If you like it very warm with sunshine and a risk of thunderstorms..the Ecm 12z will delight you, really continental feel to our weather from tomorrow and throughout next week..

24_thickuk.png

24_mslp850.png

48_thickuk.png

48_mslp850.png

72_thickuk.png

72_mslp850.png

96_thickuk.png

96_mslp850.png

120_thickuk.png

120_mslp850.png

144_thickuk.png

144_mslp850.png

168_thickuk.png

168_mslp850.png

192_thickuk.png

192_mslp850.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 8

Posted

Early June looks very warm and settled under high pressure..great Ecm 12z run for summery weather!

192_mslp500.png

192_thickuk.png

216_mslp500.png

216_thickuk.png

240_mslp500.png

240_thickuk.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Hope so Frosty, because GFS is pants, 15C max next saturday rubbish

Netweather GFS Image

Too much of a NEly flow like yesterday most of the week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Too much of a NEly flow like yesterday most of the week.

Ay, bring on the SW'lys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening All. So the Atlantic remains dead for the forseable future and I would imagine Scotland  have had there driest period for some time. The operational model's have been absolutely useless as of late  ,but with a blocking pattern this is nothing new. If I had to have a stab at a forecast for the next ten days well a very similar setup  ,risk of thundery downpours for southern Britain  drier and more settled further north and never no heatwave for the uk. 

h850t850eu-27.png

ecmt850.240-8.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

At T144, it's a dog's dinner but at least it's a nice one. Here's the main models ECM, GFS and UKMO:

ECM1-144.GIF?26-0

gfs-0-144.png?12

UW144-21.GIF?26-19

All have jet well north but a problematic low to the SW.  Leading to interesting weather for the UK, warm but with thunderstorms particularly for the south. 

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

I'm sure I'll get flak for this, but I'm a bit disappointed by the weather the last few days. Good temperatures, but largely ruined by high winds and quite a bit of cloud. This was the case today especially. Very strong sun and a base temperature of 25c, but it felt more like 18-19c in the high wind. A little disappointing compared to what looked on offer a few days ago. Hugely downgraded to be honest. It's certainly not bad, sure, but a little underwhelming to what we could of had. 

Posted
36 minutes ago, matty007 said:

I'm sure I'll get flak for this, but I'm a bit disappointed by the weather the last few days. Good temperatures, but largely ruined by high winds and quite a bit of cloud. This was the case today especially. Very strong sun and a base temperature of 25c, but it felt more like 18-19c in the high wind. A little disappointing compared to what looked on offer a few days ago. Hugely downgraded to be honest. It's certainly not bad, sure, but a little underwhelming to what we could of had. 

'Hugely downgraded' from what exactly? There were one or two runs showing some really high temps but they were the exception rather than the rule.

It was always going to be breezy in such a setup as this, whether we had imported the really warm air or not.

If you expect extreme runs to verify every time you are going to be disappointed a lot.

Posted
1 minute ago, Scorcher said:

'Hugely downgraded' from what exactly? There were one or two runs showing some really high temps but they were the exception rather than the rule.

It was always going to be breezy in such a setup as this, whether we had imported the really warm air or not.

If you expect extreme runs to verify every time you are going to be disappointed a lot.

I wouldn't exactly say I expect extreme. 

Fact is, even as little as 2-3 days ago, the forecast was extremely dry, sunny and low wind. Every time I look at the forecast, there's more rain, more cloud and the temps are declining. 2 days ago, Monday was forecast as 28c and sunny, now, 22c with wind, cloud and thunder etc. 

Look, I'm not saying this is bad weather. I would have bitten your arm off for this last year, but you can't argue that it has downgraded quite a lot. Not exactly the lovely settled, warm and sunny outlook it was looking. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
9 minutes ago, matty007 said:

I wouldn't exactly say I expect extreme. 

Fact is, even as little as 2-3 days ago, the forecast was extremely dry, sunny and low wind. Every time I look at the forecast, there's more rain, more cloud and the temps are declining. 2 days ago, Monday was forecast as 28c and sunny, now, 22c with wind, cloud and thunder etc. 

Look, I'm not saying this is bad weather. I would have bitten your arm off for this last year, but you can't argue that it has downgraded quite a lot. Not exactly the lovely settled, warm and sunny outlook it was looking. 

f9d.thumb.gif.b1e8ab17fc9185adec083ce12f042b1e.gif

Posted
1 hour ago, Ice Man 85 said:

f9d.thumb.gif.b1e8ab17fc9185adec083ce12f042b1e.gif

Probably true haha. 

Posted

A lot lot of lightning here. Virtually constant. And rolling thunder. Struggle to remember the last time I saw so much lightning. 

Posted

Amazing ECM this morning if its heat and some storms you are after- high pressure in charge and temps in the low to mid 20s - pressure slack enough at times to bring thunderstorms i would imagine..

On the other hand GFS, while lovely in the medium term does retrogress the pattern sufficiently to allow for a northerly to pull down , so nothing conclusive longer term...

Be interesting if the background signals are supportive of a durable Greenland high..

• Like 5