Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 14/04/18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

The other thing to note is that a lot of Europe has been above average temps wise in recent weeks....good omen for summer? Certainly a very different set of building blocks this year since the SSW throw the atmosphere into chaos.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

my imagination or does Friday look yucky? 6Z showed it too

ukmaxtemp.png

I take this chart with a pinch of salt.. for years its  done this.  100000c in france and just over the channel we struggle to get into double  figures.

• Like 3

Posted

More glorious charts this morning ..

Warm and dry this week with isolated storms and its looking like we may see a plume longer term, well according to GFS that is.

:)

• Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

More glorious charts this morning ..

Warm and dry this week with isolated storms and its looking like we may see a plume longer term, well according to GFS that is.

:)

Yes the longevity of the settled conditions looks quite staggering...hard to see where a breakdown will come from!

It's almost inevitable that the progression into next weekend will lead to some sort of plume scenario. 

• Like 3

Posted

This mornings runs....WOW!!

Growing support for a plume into the bank holiday. I mean look at this ridiculous ECM 168 chart today:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2018052100/ECM0-168.GIF?21-12

Nearly
the entire UK bathed in +12c uppers, touching +14c in places. Unreal for late May, and could be the third very hot spell of weather for 2018 already, and we're not even in the summer months yet. Superb.

• Like 9

Posted
59 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Nearly the entire UK bathed in +12c uppers, touching +14c in places. Unreal for late May, and could be the third very hot spell of weather for 2018 already, and we're not even in the summer months yet. Superb.

What sort of ground temps would those uppers give at this time of year?

Posted
8 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

All very up in the air....if it verified as shown you could probably expect somewhere to top 30c *if* it stayed sunny. A long way off at present, but one to certainly keep tabs on.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
19 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

All very up in the air....if it verified as shown you could probably expect somewhere to top 30c *if* it stayed sunny. A long way off at present, but one to certainly keep tabs on.  

Increasingly dry ground will also help temperatures be that little bit higher. The hot blip in late May 2010 was a good example.

11 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

I take this chart with a pinch of salt.. for years its  done this.  100000c in france and just over the channel we struggle to get into double  figures.

Problem is the source wind direction, same for Saturday. Warmer, moister air advected north over central Europe and then westwards over the north sea would deliver a complete clag-fest for the south half of the UK, while 20 miles across the channel temps would be in the high twenties in glorious sunshine.

Edited by Alderc

46 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

Depending on wind and cloud conditions London would get close to 30C in unbroken sunshine. 25-28C elsewhere in the south.

Posted
Just now, Alderc said:

Problem is though is the source wind direction, same for Saturday. Warmer, moister air advected north over central Europe and then westwards over the north sea would deliver a complete clag-fest for the south half of the UK, while 20 miles across the channel temps would be in the high twenties in glorious sunshine.

Yeah these types of days can be really frustrating.  Every now and then you get a slight thinning of the cloud and it's *boiling* for 30 seconds then it's gone.  Although once I did see a huge mid level MCS drift E>W just to my south with a complete clearance of the low cloud.  Nice lightning show then back to clag!

Posted
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

This mornings runs....WOW!!

Growing support for a plume into the bank holiday. I mean look at this ridiculous ECM 168 chart today:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2018052100/ECM0-168.GIF?21-12

Nearly
the entire UK bathed in +12c uppers, touching +14c in places. Unreal for late May, and could be the third very hot spell of weather for 2018 already, and we're not even in the summer months yet. Superb.

ECM temperature charts on weather.us raw data shows 28C for both Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday - however, the model seems to underdo the extremes of heat, so I'd say 30/31C is well in the game on this morning's chart.

Most models do seem to have upped the convection over southern areas for the next 7 days. This is the GFS by Friday:

108-777UK.GIF?21-0

ARPEGE is not too different. (Most rain in the north falls in the next 24 hours btw so Scottish sun seekers need not be too alarmed!)

So not wall-to-wall sunshine by any means. It's going to be a real mix - periods of clear blue sky and rocketing temperatures, and some periods of cloud and heavy rain. I'm guessing the sunny periods will be more than the cloudy ones, particularly further north, but it's always a tough game working out where continental convection will hit.

Into next weekend and it's not only some spectacular heat to watch out for in the south, but quite possibly some spectacular storms too. GFS for Monday:

186-109UK.GIF?21-0

The ECM gets the action going even earlier, with severe thunderstorms on both Saturday and Sunday night.

Meanwhile, the north looks set to carry on serenely with sunny and warm conditions throughout.

So it's going to be a fascinating week, more like early August than late May :)

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all :)

Been away due to a family bereavement and haven't looked at a chart for 10 days or more. The last I remember was plenty of northern blocking building for later in May with heights to the north and persistent LP over Europe leading to an easterly flow and the risk of showers for southern and south western parts.

As a man from Sheffield once said "that was then, this is now". The medium term analysis goes out to Thursday May 31st and starts as always with the morning's ECM output at T+240:

ECM1-240.GIF?21-12

Not a lot has changed. Heights over Scandinavia and a notable trough over Europe bring in a warm, if not very warm, SE'ly flow for many over the coming Bank Holiday but the HP retrogresses to Greenland meaning pressure drops near the British Isles and shallow Atlantic systems are edging in to the south west with a cooler NE'ly flow across the far north. Settled for now but the notion of things going downhill at speed is evident.

GEM 00Z OP at the same time:

gem-0-240.png?00

Some differences to ECM. Good agreement through the weekend with the warm SE'ly but GEM takes the trough further north across the British Isles before heights rise again to the NW and NE and we end with a light easterly flow but still with a risk of showers for southern and south western areas.

GFS 00Z OP at T+240:

gfs-0-240.png

The HP doesn't retrogress as with ECM but moves back into Scandinavia and declines SE but the pressure gradient over the British Isles is very slack. Some residual LP to the south west but very much a holding pattern with showers possible but very light winds. Further into FI and HP builds to the north and north west so another dose of easterly winds before a trough develops over Scandinavia and extends SW bringing in cooler and more changeable conditions.

GFS Parallel at the same time:

gfs-0-240.png

Again, a very slack evolution with a shallow trough over the southern North Sea so showers or thunderstorms possible in southern and eastern areas. Further into FI and a strong ridge develops NE from the Azores into June keeping the weather fine and warm for most.

GFS Control at the same time;

gens-0-1-240.png

Heights to the NE remains strong but the European LP has moved up into southern areas bringing in an enhanced risk of showers or storms. Further into FI and the HP and the continental LP re-orient to bring in a cooler ENE'ly flow with showers still a risk in the south.

IN summary, a fine and very warm Bank Holiday weekend for many albeit with a growing risk of showers or storms for the south and south west. Into next week and a range of options on offer - ECM offers retrogression but the percentage call looks to be a slack flow which would be reasonable for most but if you do get a shower or storm it would be very slow moving and consequently could drop a lot of rain on a localised area. Absolutely no sign of Atlantic influence and while Parallel offers a nice continuation of the fine spell into June via an Azores ridge other options maintain the pattern of heights to the north and lower pressure over Europe periodically extending across southern parts of the British Isles. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

sorry chaps, whilst there are some stunning outputs currently if you like it hot, the anomaly charts dont agree with the ops as to where the high will be centered, and the anomaly charts are more often then not correct. they have been suggesting high pressure evolution just west of north now for several days which to me suggests consistency.
so to my eye, this chart
610day_03.thumb.gif.5125ea3aa7eb78acddea7429ba93411f.gif

will not lead to this

GFSOPEU00_192_2.thumb.png.67a4d48d0352f9c632f984191c730fe0.png

• Like 2

Posted
44 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

sorry chaps, whilst there are some stunning outputs currently if you like it hot, the anomaly charts dont agree with the ops as to where the high will be centered, and the anomaly charts are more often then not correct. they have been suggesting high pressure evolution just west of north now for several days which to me suggests consistency.
so to my eye, this chart
610day_03.thumb.gif.5125ea3aa7eb78acddea7429ba93411f.gif

will not lead to this

GFSOPEU00_192_2.thumb.png.67a4d48d0352f9c632f984191c730fe0.png

That's a fair point. Just one to keep an eye on - perhaps the OPs have been teasing us!

The 6z is plume-tastic too for what its worth. Everything is going to hinge on the disturbance over Iberia in the next week, which will aid the advection of all this warm/hot air our way (if it materialises).

Posted

The anomaly charts have been wrong on numerous occasions. Not saying they are, but if all of the op runs contradict it, I wouldn’t be backing over them.

I have seen anomaly charts showing a black hole over Greenland at 7 days, only for them to be wrong.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

ECM temperature charts on weather.us raw data shows 28C for both Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday - however, the model seems to underdo the extremes of heat, so I'd say 30/31C is well in the game on this morning's chart.

Do you have a link to that please? I can't seem to find ground temps for ECM.

Posted

Regarding the D11-D15 period, we're now at 50/50 in the EC clusters between retrogression to the NW and a continuing Sceuro ridge.

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018052100_276.

The trend is definitely on the up for "clear" retrogression; it was 15% yesterday morning, and 30% last night.

That said, I generally look for 2/3rds support for retrogression (so say 65/70%) before really latching onto it - it seems to be one of the patterns that most easily collapses closer to T0 these days. So it's still in the pending file, and I'm still extremely open to a continuation of the continental flow of this week even into June.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

Do you have a link to that please? I can't seem to find ground temps for ECM.

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/great-britain/max-temperature-6h/20180527-1800z.html

zoom in on the darkest bits and you'll see they show 28C. Rare to see anything this high on ECM raw data output!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

dont get me wrong here guys, id love the ops to be correct as i love heat.

its true the anomaly charts can be wrong and i hope they are. but realistically they are usually near as damnit correct and are better at predicting the mean upper flow for the 6-14 day period then the ops are. dont know if hes still around as ive not been on, but John Holmes study into these charts some years ago proved this to be the case - when consistent. (for newer members).

i use them all the time now, and dont often view the ops, im not too bad at reading what conditions we are likely to get and this has proven very popular on a facebook page i broadcast to (by request). so  confidence at reading them is quite solid.

the chart i posted shows the anticyclone anchored just west of north to the uk. that wouldnt allow for the hot deep southeasterly the ops currently predict as they have the high anchored further east over northern europe/scandinavia.

but hey ho, its just an observation, my faith in the anomaly charts has been misplaced before, i hope it is this time! time will tell. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

Was it CFS showing a sharp breakdown at the start of June a short time ago?

I hope the anamoly charts are wrong, but......    year ending in 8......

• Like 1

Posted

Take care with that anomaly upper heights chart - its a five day average and the high heights push ne from the azores (hence the mean chart showing so far west) so plenty of opportunity for the surface ridge to settle in an advantageous place to advect a hot se flow for a couple days.

as MWB notes, the future remains threateningly retrogressive though still no analysis how sustained this could be, nor how far west the mean upper ridge settles.

• Like 2