Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Newbie85

Travel Insurance

Recommended Posts

I do not know if it is relevant here but if you have a Barclays Bank account you can add an addition that provides you and your family with unlimited world wide travel insurance plus RAC breakdown cover at a cost of £10.50 per month. Worth checking out?

Edited by Snipper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have Barclays bank account, does that cover storm chasing though?  

Maybe i should check out my banks insurance policy

 

Thanks though :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Snipper said:

I do not know if it is relevant here but if you have a Barclays Bank account you can add an addition that provides you and your family with unlimited world wide travel insurance plus RAC breakdown cover at a cost of £10.50 per month. Worth checking out?

Normal travel insurance often doesn't cover storm chasing though, not sure if it's any different with insurance included with financial services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Normal travel insurance often doesn't cover storm chasing though, not sure if it's any different with insurance included with financial services.

Can you recommend a different company than dog tag ?? for some reason they wont cover for pre existent condition though been stable for 5+ years - tbh its ridiculous.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Newbie85 said:

Can you recommend a different company than dog tag ?? for some reason they wont cover for pre existent condition though been stable for 5+ years - tbh its ridiculous.  

Unfortunately I can't. However, Tom Lynch was turned down by Dog Tag and was searching for an alternative. He's one of the drivers. @Tom Lynch can you possibly offer any advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Normal travel insurance often doesn't cover storm chasing though, not sure if it's any different with insurance included with financial services.

To be honest not surprised. Who in their right mind wiling puts themselves potentially into a major metrological event?

Edited by Snipper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Newbie85 said:

Can you recommend a different company than dog tag ?? for some reason they wont cover for pre existent condition though been stable for 5+ years - tbh its ridiculous.  

Insurance co.s look at cases and risk assess; after all that is what insurance co.s do - balance between risk and safety.

Re your existent condition if it still is a condition, even though as you say you've "been stable" they will still regard it as a "condition" for insurance purposes.

Someone else mentioned annual cover. I've used annual multi-trip for years but you must, and i stress must, inform the co if there are any changes to your health during that 12-month period or suddenly you begin treatment for a medical condition after you've purchased an annual policy. Dont assume an annual policy covers you, in full, for a whole year.

Travel insurance policies linked to bank accounts (freebie policy with some current accounts) are often basic policies; read the small print. Does it cover for trips outside of Europe, for example. 

And on another point, some policies now exclude countries you might think are automatically included. Mexico is a classic example; a popular UK visitor haunt esp for All Incl. But some co.s are NOT covering for Mexico. And here's a surprise one in "no longer covered"........

The Canary Islands.

No joke. Some travel ins co.s wont cover for The Canaries because docs on some of the islands send sick tourists to private hospitals on the islands.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Snipper said:

To be honest not surprised. Who in their right mind wiling puts themselves potentially into a major metrological event?

Someone who has an interest in weather other than grey skies and drizzle that our appalling climate offers up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Insurance co.s look at cases and risk assess; after all that is what insurance co.s do - balance between risk and safety.

Re your existent condition if it still is a condition, even though as you say you've "been stable" they will still regard it as a "condition" for insurance purposes.

Someone else mentioned annual cover. I've used annual multi-trip for years but you must, and i stress must, inform the co if there are any changes to your health during that 12-month period or suddenly you begin treatment for a medical condition after you've purchased an annual policy. Dont assume an annual policy covers you, in full, for a whole year.

Travel insurance policies linked to bank accounts (freebie policy with some current accounts) are often basic policies; read the small print. Does it cover for trips outside of Europe, for example. 

And on another point, some policies now exclude countries you might think are automatically included. Mexico is a classic example; a popular UK visitor haunt esp for All Incl. But some co.s are NOT covering for Mexico. And here's a surprise one in "no longer covered"........

The Canary Islands.

No joke. Some travel ins co.s wont cover for The Canaries because docs on some of the islands send sick tourists to private hospitals on the islands.

 

Not surprised Mexico isn't covered, basically a war zone in many areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Insurance co.s look at cases and risk assess; after all that is what insurance co.s do - balance between risk and safety.

Re your existent condition if it still is a condition, even though as you say you've "been stable" they will still regard it as a "condition" for insurance purposes.

Someone else mentioned annual cover. I've used annual multi-trip for years but you must, and i stress must, inform the co if there are any changes to your health during that 12-month period or suddenly you begin treatment for a medical condition after you've purchased an annual policy. Dont assume an annual policy covers you, in full, for a whole year.

Travel insurance policies linked to bank accounts (freebie policy with some current accounts) are often basic policies; read the small print. Does it cover for trips outside of Europe, for example. 

And on another point, some policies now exclude countries you might think are automatically included. Mexico is a classic example; a popular UK visitor haunt esp for All Incl. But some co.s are NOT covering for Mexico. And here's a surprise one in "no longer covered"........

The Canary Islands.

No joke. Some travel ins co.s wont cover for The Canaries because docs on some of the islands send sick tourists to private hospitals on the islands.

 

Great Essay and my condition medication hasnt changed at all in 5+ years I dont even see a specialist anymore, Meh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot get a Dog Tag insurance as I am not an UK resident but I will try to bug some local insurance companies that offer "extreme sports" insurances to see if they would also cover "storm chasing".

I bought the comprehensive travel insurance when booking my flight to cover the normal, flight, cancellations, medical risks and I will be in the look out to complete is with something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mihai_necula said:

I cannot get a Dog Tag insurance as I am not an UK resident but I will try to bug some local insurance companies that offer "extreme sports" insurances to see if they would also cover "storm chasing".

I bought the comprehensive travel insurance when booking my flight to cover the normal, flight, cancellations, medical risks and I will be in the look out to complete is with something else.

I was informed you cannot have 2 insurances as it invalidates both the insurances,  so i am looking at just getting fully comprehensive to cover everything else and one illness!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Newbie85 said:

I was informed you cannot have 2 insurances as it invalidates both the insurances,  so i am looking at just getting fully comprehensive to cover everything else and one illness!

I understand you case is different than mine (you have a precondition and I cannot get a dogtag insurance because I am not residing in the UK or US).

It is my understanding that you cannot have (or it is pointless to have) 2 insurances with identical coverage. In case multiple insurances would cover an event than they would all need to be informed so they would split it accordingly.

In my case I am already covered somehow by my credit card travel insurance but it has many exclusions.

I also bought the trip cancellation policy coming with my flight booking which also covers normal medical expenses.

I am looking right now for an pure travel medical insurance that would offer a "broad carte blanche" for most activities.  I found this telegraph article as most informative (they talk about anual insurances but gives a good example of how insurances work and companies):

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/expat-health/9858125/Extreme-sports-expats-should-read-health-policy-small-print.html

Sent an email to Bupa Global Travel for a confirmation for storm chasing as it seems they would insure everything with the exception of:

Expeditions, mountaineering and trekking in Antarctica, the North Pole and Greenland are not covered by the insurance. Mountaineering which requires specialized equipment, regardless of destination, is not covered.

 

 
Edited by mihai_necula

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bupa Global Travel said that storm chasing is fine as it is not on their list of exclusion. So I got their single trip medical cover for the duration of the tour on top of my normal travel insurance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 22:39, mihai_necula said:

Bupa Global Travel said that storm chasing is fine as it is not on their list of exclusion. So I got their single trip medical cover for the duration of the tour on top of my normal travel insurance.

Do you have their phone Number as I tried emailing I not got a response?? 

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Insurance update.

Well i have to say i received a shock when i started to arrange for my travel insurance and found out that Dogtag had an age limit of 64.  I looked around for an alternative and found none, well none that I would like to trust. Some companies didnt know what storm chasing was when i explained they said no.  

So being slightly irritated i sat down and made a complaint to Dogtag.  I have made use of their services for several years and now i find that i am too old, 

Surprisingly  I received a reply from a director of the company. i explained my situation and that 65 was not old these days. He understood and took the matter to his next board meeting. They agreed to allow the director to approach the underwriters. This he did successfully. 

As a result Dogtag have introduced a new band onto their insurance which covers all those people between 65 and 69. 

So i am now happy and insured.  This is so off the press some at Dogtag are not aware about the new banding. Send a message to me if you have any problems obtaining your insurance with them. 

Price isnt too bad considering.

Tom

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...