Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

DMAX Weather Station

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Just wondering if anyone has ever had one of these?

https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/dmax-6-in-1-wifi-weather-station-749-p.asp

I have around 15 weather stations across North Yorkshire currently, a mixture of Davis Vues/Pro 2, Oregon Scientific WMR300 and quite a few Maplin WiFi stations but this one has caught my eye.

It looks like a cheap clone of the Davis Vantage Vue, at a slightly less cost. The bonus being it has WiFi built in so data is uploaded straight from the console to Wunderground without the need of a datalogger and a PC on 24/7.

Always up for trying a new station, but when your not buying a Davis, quality of data and longevity of the station is quite often an issue.

Any feedback appreciated. Ta

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've not seen that station before, but it looks way overpriced.

I don't see the uploading to wundergound as a bonus, it's the only way to upload your data, and that is a flaw at that price. If your WiFi fails, or wunderground fails - no data at all! I would expect a data logger at that price, and allowing weather software devs to use the source code so that data can be retrieved via the USB port, either that or the company provide their own storage and a way of displaying data on a website or app. 

No mention on how fast data get's updated either.

I do agree with the sentiment of trying new things, but I wouldn't fork out 300 quid for that. I wouldn't price that above £150

You can buy stations between £100 and £150 that will log data and also let you connect it to a PC or laptop running weather display or Cumulus. That means you can send your data to 10+ networks free of charge.

• 4 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

That's a good point Mapantz.

However, as I am setting these stations up at other peoples houses, asking them to run a PC 24/7 is pretty unrealistic unless they are big weather geeks like us!

I of course run my data through Cumulus as a back up however bar one other station the rest I run through Raspberry Pi or WiFi stations, mainly for simplicity for the "hosts" of my weather stations.

I now own 20 weather stations across North Yorkshire, however I still haven't purchased a "DMAX" station as I've been able to get Davis Vue's and the Maplin WiFi stations for cheaper.

You say you can buy stations for £100-£150 that log data, but aren't these the kind of stations that break within a year and have poor temp shields?

Sorry for very late reply but I hibernate in Summer from Netweather

• 7 months later...

Hello

I have one weather station Dmax (Bresser). I use it near 2 months without any prblem. I can see the uploaded data only in Wunderground and in me indoor console. After some time i understand the need of a pc to save data. I dont trust WU, although it was working quite good till 3 days before, when they choose to make modifications.Bresser (or Dmax, or GARNI or Ambient Weather WS-8478, they are all clones of the same station) has 5 year guarantee. I choose this model because i wouldnt like to use pc and additional prgrams...now i am trying to make something to overcome it!!!!

Posted

I think you'd be better off going to someone like Ecowitt or Froggit and just buying a Sensor array and a data logger and that way you'd save money but not having the console if you are not there to look at it. Froggitt are just resellers of Fine Offset but they have the advantage of being local (Germany). Ecowitt on the other hand work directly with Fine Offset in Hong Kong and can tailor anything for you. They wont have the products itemised as you want on their website but if you drop Lucy an e-mail at Sales@ecowitt.com then I am sure she could put together a cheap system for you.

For instance the new GW-1000 data logger (sends data directly to ecowitt.net and the other sites like WU) is only $35. All you would need ontop is the sensor array.

People myself included are working on how to capture the data directly from the Gw-1000 to save into Cumulus, but this is not really needed if you are happy with the ecowitt.net site. (To be honest as long as you have a net connection its great)

Edited by Mandrake