Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

When will we get a warm sunny month in 2018?

Sunny76

Posted

I guess we will have to wait until May this year, before any real warmth kicks in. 

This time last year, the weather was improving, despite still having some chilly days in between. The lack of sunshine recently has been depressing.

Posted

Here in Reading we did have a consistent hot spell with near 100% sunshine from 17 to 20 June 2017 (the 21st was the hottest day at 32.8C but it clouded over in the afternoon) - but then the summer went downhill rapidly and I don't think we've had any more really sunny warm days since. We did get a couple of exceptionally sunny days with 7.5 hours plus in early December 2017, but of course these were hardly warm.

The worst year I can remember in recent times for sunny days was 2012, when I don't think we had a single day in the summer with 12 hours of sunshine.

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
On 31/03/2018 at 07:56, weatherguru14 said:

The facts we NEVER get one day  that starts off sunny and stays sunny all day is depressing. Its virtually impossible for that to happen.

As per usual, you are talking absolute rubbish.

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Yeah  name  the last day it happened then???

I don't know as unsurprisingly I don't make a detailed account of every single day of the year - but it isn't 'virtually impossible' and certainly happens more than just once. At the Leeming weather station for instance there were several days last year that had more than 15 hours of sun. One day had more than 16. Virtually impossible indeed.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
On 31/03/2018 at 07:56, weatherguru14 said:

The facts we NEVER get one day  that starts off sunny and stays sunny all day is depressing. Its virtually impossible for that to happen.

not here it won't because of north sea mist, but E'ly winds can bring blue skies without convection or cloud for a few days, especially Wales and W Scotland

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

I don't know as unsurprisingly I don't make a detailed account of every single day of the year - but it isn't 'virtually impossible' and certainly happens more than just once. At the Leeming weather station for instance there were several days last year that had more than 15 hours of sun. One day had more than 16. Virtually impossible indeed.

Your not so detailed account goes back  nearly a year.Until the last  time we had a full day of sunshine.. thanks.

Posted

The UK  weather can be summoned  up in 1 word "cloud". Even this so called warm up at the weekend will end up being a cloudy squid. But the weather forecasters  teeth will sparkle.. wow 18c for places on Saturday. Until we get to Saturday and the sun doesn't come out.. Until we rinse and repeat the next  time its going to happen. That ties in with the current topic when will get a sunny month in 2018. I want accurate forecasts this summer. Not the keep pushing back the nice weather.and over egging  the truth.

Posted

my issue is with contrails, more and more aircraft are in the sky,   on clear morning you can see the aircraft activity increasing and more and more contrails criss crossing the sky , eventually becoming cirrus clouds and then turning into a huge canopoy veiling the sun shine , factor in the possibility of more clouds due to a so called warming planet , we will have to learn to live with more cloud in the sky , 

when you see clear blue skies , treasure them 

Posted
29 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Your not so detailed account goes back  nearly a year.Until the last  time we had a full day of sunshine.. thanks.

Unsurprisingly, full days of sunshine are much scarcer outside of spring and summer. If you knew anything about weather or climate, that would be painstakingly obvious. Just like last year, and the year before that, full sunshine days will probably congregate in the May to September period, which is the sunniest period of the year (unsurprising to anyone who has even a very basic grasp of UK weather and climate).

Please, for the sake of this forum and everyone that uses it, go educate yourself. And learn some proper grammar for goodness sake's - every time I read your posts I feel like I'm on the comments section of The Sun.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
13 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

probably flaming june

Even that'd be better than waiting for flaming August?:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Even that'd be better than waiting for flaming August?:D

flaming uk weather:bad:

Posted
1 hour ago, weatherguru14 said:

Yeah  name  the last day it happened then???

25th February this year?:shok:

Posted
2 hours ago, cheese said:

Yep, it can happen anytime of the year under the right conditions.

This was the 2nd January last year

8th April 2017

Posted
38 minutes ago, cheese said:

Unsurprisingly, full days of sunshine are much scarcer outside of spring and summer. If you knew anything about weather or climate, that would be painstakingly obvious. Just like last year, and the year before that, full sunshine days will probably congregate in the May to September period, which is the sunniest period of the year (unsurprising to anyone who has even a very basic grasp of UK weather and climate).

Please, for the sake of this forum and everyone that uses it, go educate yourself. And learn some proper grammar for goodness sake's - every time I read your posts I feel like I'm on the comments section of The Sun.

Sorry to butt in, but check your grammar,  I will give you a clue , it should be used as a singular not a plural

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, IanR said:

Sorry to butt in, but check your grammar,  I will give you a clue , it should be used as a singular not a plural

Sorry to butt in, but check your punctuation - you're not supposed to put spaces between a comma and the word preceding it. Tut tut.

Edited by cheese

Posted
7 minutes ago, cheese said:

Sorry to butt in, but check your punctuation - you're not supposed to put spaces between commas and words. Tut tut.

This is interesting, peeps - and maybe not as simple as it might, at first glance, seem...?

Are we on about 'for goodness sake', 'for the sake of goodness', 'for goodness's sake? If so, I refer y'all to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Loo99IUUA :yahoo:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, weatherguru14 said:

The UK  weather can be summoned  up in 1 word "cloud". Even this so called warm up at the weekend will end up being a cloudy squid. But the weather forecasters  teeth will sparkle.. wow 18c for places on Saturday. Until we get to Saturday and the sun doesn't come out.. Until we rinse and repeat the next  time its going to happen. That ties in with the current topic when will get a sunny month in 2018. I want accurate forecasts this summer. Not the keep pushing back the nice weather.and over egging  the truth.

That's one thing I don't like about tv forecasts is the fact they tend to talk down colder temperatures as a really negative thing, whilst making out any sort of warm up is to be universally welcomed, and mentioning it in a relief type of way. Bearing in mind in Winter especially higher temperatures are usually associated with cloudy and wet conditions, which surely are more depressing than clear skies with frosty nights. I imagine though because they're aimed at the general public they're designed to cater to the general populations prejudices. I do wish they'd just report the weather without any bias at all though as not everybody welcomes milder and warmer temperatures at all times and it takes more than that, like wall to wall sunshine and light winds to feel nice anyway.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

This is interesting, peeps - and maybe not as simple as it might, at first glance, seem...?

Are we on about 'for goodness sake', 'for the sake of goodness', 'for goodness's sake? If so, I refer y'all all to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Loo99IUUA :yahoo:

For goodness's's sake's. That song reminds me of Heartbeat.

Edited by cheese

Posted
7 minutes ago, cheese said:

For goodness's's sake's. That song reminds me of Heartbeat.

It reminds me of a summer day, in 1964, when it was the first song played on Go Man Go...There was a humdinger of a thunderstorm shortly afterwards, too!:good:

• Like 1