Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
    35 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

I'm surprised it was  8.c today, on the allotment it felt very cool and damp. I could see my own breath and lit a fire to keep warm.

Those rainfall totals for Monday...should I buy a dinghy?

Looking for melon seeds. Any recommendations?

Maybe try rice instead.

Edited by alexisj9
    • Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 6.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taken by a pal Hunstanton 

glorious morning across Esher Common !! autumn is well and truly in full swing ..

With the official stats now out, here's the Met Office chart comparing Summer 2018 with other similar years. For much of our Region 2018 was the hottest, but with some variations such as Norfolk and K

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
    37 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

I'm surprised it was  8.c today, on the allotment it felt very cool and damp. I could see my own breath and lit a fire to keep warm.

Those rainfall totals for Monday...should I buy a dinghy?

Looking for melon seeds. Any recommendations?

I think you might need a greenhouse for melons.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
    11 minutes ago, snowray said:

i just took them out of a melon i ate and left them to dry. probably won't grow though

Posted
    18 minutes ago, snowray said:

I've built me a polytunnel. Boyfriend has one half and he's growing chillis/toms. I want to grow fun stuff in my half. I've already got some loofah seeds.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
    9 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

i just took them out of a melon i ate and left them to dry. probably won't grow though

I think you need really ripe juicy organic melons for them to grow. All the supermarket melons are not ripe, hard as nails, and completely inedible. They are probably GM melons that don't reproduce anyway.:bad:

3205fdc13968d25649eacb0777dc6339--monsanto-poison.jpg

Posted
    14 minutes ago, snowray said:

I think you need really ripe juicy organic melons for them to grow. All the supermarket melons are not ripe, hard as nails, and completely inedible. They are probably GM melons that don't reproduce anyway.:bad:

3205fdc13968d25649eacb0777dc6339--monsanto-poison.jpg

if the weather continues blowinh hot and cold then even the melony of melons:cc_confused: won't grow

Posted
    26 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

I've built me a polytunnel. Boyfriend has one half and he's growing chillis/toms. I want to grow fun stuff in my half. I've already got some loofah seeds.

OMG, I would love the space for a big polytunnel to grow organic veg, like this one.

böln_salat.jpg

• Like 3
    Posted

Really noticed a chill today a typical winters day plenty a winters day warmer for verging on final month of spring it’s very poor, summer not far off now. Some wet snow on Monday? Expect nada here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Miserable day here in North Surrey — topped out 8.2 c strange to see your breath in daylight like a chilly November day !! Having just come back from Barbados  it seems even worse - I don’t expect any sympathy mind !! 

Edited by Badgers01
    Posted
    17 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Really noticed a chill today a typical winters day plenty a winters day warmer for verging on final month of spring it’s very poor, summer not far off now. Some wet snow on Monday? Expect nada here.

The 18z HIRLAM is well OTT for snowfall on Monday.......But you never know, some places on high ground may be in for a surprise or two.

hirlam-45-40-0.png

Posted
    13 minutes ago, snowray said:

The 18z HIRLAM is well OTT for snowfall on Monday.......But you never know, some places on high ground may be in for a surprise or two.

hirlam-45-40-0.png

a covering maybe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

A slight covering of goat droppings?:oops:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, more snow and even more snow..Oh and I love a good old Thunderstorm

Massive changes again this morning, the eastward trend has definitely gained more traction anywhere west of IOW is dry now. 

Now then, snow wise I just can't see it happening really. I mean it's not impossible but highly unlikely. 

The reason for the flooding risk is 2 things. 

1) intense PPN due to the source of the low way down south in France where its relatively warm. 

2) The track it takes means for a time the area of rain will almost stop dead where it is as the low pivots round on the east coast. 

• Like 5
    Posted
    1 hour ago, Surrey said:

Massive changes again this morning, the eastward trend has definitely gained more traction anywhere west of IOW is dry now. 

Now then, snow wise I just can't see it happening really. I mean it's not impossible but highly unlikely. 

The reason for the flooding risk is 2 things. 

1) intense PPN due to the source of the low way down south in France where its relatively warm. 

2) The track it takes means for a time the area of rain will almost stop dead where it is as the low pivots round on the east coast. 

they even talking about shutting our main  bridge on monday ,plus expecting a lot of flooding

Edited by tinybill
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Updated warning

Reason for update

The likelihood of disruption has been increased to low and the warning has been made a dual rain and wind warning. The warning has also been limited to Monday.

Further details

Heavy rain is likely to affect southeastern parts of England through Monday, peaking during the morning period. Accumulations of 25-35 mm seem likely widely, with 60-80 mm possible in places, this perhaps most likely for parts of Norfolk and the North Downs; the westward extent of these higher totals remains less certain. Strong winds are also likely with gusts of 40-45 mph likely inland, particularly during Monday morning, and possible gusts to 50-55 mph along exposed coasts and over hills. Coming from an unusual (northerly) direction may increase the likelihood of wind-related impacts. Note that these winds will also lead to large waves, and spray and overtopping around some coasts.

It may also be cold enough for a little sleet or wet snow on high ground but this is unlikely to settle.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-04-30

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Back last night from 4 days away visiting relatives in the Czech Republic. Beautiful weather there, sunny and 24C. Absolutely vile here, had to put the heating on this morning. A high of 6C tomorrow, apparently. My Czech relatives just laughed and asked why we live here lol. Good question!

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Seasonal

Back from walking the dogs on the marshes. 6C and persistent drizzle - much the same as yesterday! And, on the face of it, this is the better day of the weekend. As for tomorrow, I have picked a bad day to travel over to Yarmouth?

• Like 1
    Posted
    35 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Back last night from 4 days away visiting relatives in the Czech Republic. Beautiful weather there, sunny and 24C. Absolutely vile here, had to put the heating on this morning. A high of 6C tomorrow, apparently. My Czech relatives just laughed and asked why we live here lol. Good question!

Must have something going for us, awful lot of people from eastern Europe want to come here

• Like 1
    Posted

Miserable is the only word to describe tomorrow - the only upside is that it looks like it will be the low part of the week weatherwise:

preciplables_30.thumb.png.3dd76642e67535b824fae58885ffcc7b.pngmaxtemp_34.thumb.png.4d8b13170759d163c494a0af8c6ce726.pnggustnew_30.thumb.png.4cdbbd2e5ac7df2559cb39fcabd3a10d.pngwindchill_34.thumb.png.9c459b1d11e75a4084fc7fe8a3a2cfe3.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Good Afternoon everyone.

Another grotty day here in mid-Essex.

Yesterday I went to Eastbourne to watch the mighty Clarets win and secure third place in the Vanarama South and a home match in the playoffs next Sunday.

The weather there was not too bad with occasional sunny intervals but I returned back to Essex to be greeted by more light rain and drizzle. My wife told me it had been drier at home for a while in the afternoon before the rain had returned. Thee had certainly been no sunny intervals.

In the meantime my lawn has grown since the last cut and my allotment is far too wet to work on. As a result I have a lot of plants at home waiting for some drier weather before I can plant them out.

The next few days look particularly concerning but hopefully from mid week onwards we will tart to see an improvement

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,snow+gales

Another dull dreary chilly day I hate to think how much rain we are going to get down here tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Rain already starting here, but it's light for now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    48 minutes ago, huntso said:

Must have something going for us, awful lot of people from eastern Europe want to come here

But bugger-all to do with our weather, I'd wager.:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
    1 hour ago, huntso said:

Economically, we definitely have something to offer. Until Brexit, that is. The Eastern Europeans do all the work the Brits don’t want to. They work very hard, save and have a good life when they go home eventually. They certainly don’t come here for the climate!

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, more snow and even more snow..Oh and I love a good old Thunderstorm
    11 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Economically, we definitely have something to offer. Until Brexit, that is. The Eastern Europeans do all the work the Brits don’t want to. They work very hard, save and have a good life when they go home eventually. They certainly don’t come here for the climate!

Yes very true, but brexit will not mean we shove people out, I think a lot are going to go on thier own because of tensions rising within a certain minority of English people.. Sad really we all need to get along and grow our economy! 

Anyway back to the weather, going tv draw up a risk map later of where I think the heaviest rain will be and totals. Hirlam would require us to build an ark, although if we haven't started yet it might be a bit to late.. 

• Like 4