Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Well. What a 24hrs i've had. Poorly bubs, phone call from school. Child of mother who hates me has been horrible to bubs, reported by another mother who's own child was upset it was happening, but is also good friends with the mum that doesn't like me. So i'm a little confused if it been done in good faith or i should take up self defense classes. (yes it would be that bad) Had an  idea something was up but bubs wouldn't say. I am now going to be updated with events and probably will end up with the head discussing it.  Oh my's.

Well it could be 30C all winter and I wouldn't care atm.

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

If Sir Michael's forecast pans out we could be in for one or two thunder-days next week...?⛈️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

another pleasant evening in superbia , was almost like a Californian evening with the beautiful golden light !

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_3081.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3075.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Visits to North Norfolk are always good, but it is a bit like the land that weather forecasting forgot. No rain forecast at any point this week and still only '10%' on the bbc nowcast yet it has been belting it down in West Runton since it went dark.

Maybe they should stick to this method of forecasting:image.thumb.jpeg.69ea83905736a36263b3273551941f37.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

high pressure still around, next month onwards if it settles in the right place then an early taste of winter could be on the cards

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

A beautiful sunny, blue sky with Cirrus clouds. The temperature is 11 °C  and it feels like 9 °C .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Up early with my wife, before she started her 12 hour shift, at a Residential Care Home in Chislehurst. 

Weird feeling day for myself and Colette, exactly 3 years ago on this date, I became violently ill in the early hours of the morning. I thought I was suffering from food poisoning but I was experiencing a brain haemorrhage/stroke. I can vividly remember having an excruciating headache and pain, at the back of neck. Evidently, the bleed had pushed my brain down into the cavity, in my neck.

Colette and I were separated at the time and I was living with my son, daughter and her boyfriend in Chislehurst. My younger sister and her daughter, were also staying with us .My sister's fiance was self-employed and hadn't been paying his tax, correctly (tut, tut) and they were evicted. I gave up my bedroom to my sister and niece and I was sleeping on a mattress, in the lounge.

I can remember crawling on all fours to the downstairs bathroom and was violently ill. I called out to my daughter's boyfriend and he came downstairs, cleaned me up and got me back on the mattress. My daughter and her boyfriend came downstairs in the morning to find me unconscious. They quickly called an ambulance and I was whisked away to Bromley's PRU, hospital. The same day I was transferred to King's College (Denmark Hill) and underwent emergency brain surgery. Evidently I "died" twice, once in front of my poor wife, caught two lots of Meningitis and Encephalitis and a surgeon caused a tear to a ventricle, when removing a drain from my brain. 

After spending much time in a high dependency unit I was transferred to a rehabilitation ward in Lewisham hospital, in Dec.2015. Then transferred to Orpington hospital for the last ten days, of my hospitalisation. I returned back home with Colette on Feb.8th 2016. 

I have nothing but praise for our NHS staff who saved my life and have facilitated my excellent recovery. My illness had completely wiped my long term and short term memories, so much so that I'd completely forgotten my hobby was Meteorology and I was a member of Netweather!! Fortunately both long term and short term memories, are pretty much restored now.

I must also give praise to my darling wife, Colette, without whose love care and attention to detail, has made my excellent recovery, possible. I owe her so much!! She has valiantly fought my corner with Benefit Agencies and Hospital departments, to gain me extra Physio sessions. Despite my excellent recovery, still have compromised balance issues and cannot venture out, without an adult.

I stated on a thread the other day, that I had finally realised where my Brontophobia had come from. My highly superstitious Italian mother, would make the sign of the cross and invoking Santa Barbara, the Patron Saint of lightning and storms in general, in Italy. So as a young lad I developed a fear of lightning and thunder, unwittingly my lovely Italian mother had passed this on to me.

We have to be so careful, as parents, not to pass on our on fears and implant them on our children. My son and daughter would often see Dad with pillow over his head and cotton wool in his ears and putting lights on, all over the house, when lightning and thunder, were about!! I've been so lucky that my children havn't developed the same fear.

My brain haemorrhage/stroke, was partly due to my own phobia regarding health issues, implanted by my Hypochondriac of a Father. Every little twinge with him, was the "big C"!! He didn't do too bad, he died last October, aged 95, bless him(R.I.P.). But no doubt would still have had put on his tombstone that famous Spike Milligan-ism, "I told you I was ill", had he had the chance!!

Consequently when I moved in with Colette had to change GP's. Knowing I would have to undergo a raft of tests and thinking that severe headaches I was suffering, was something serious, kept putting off an appointment and kept referring to Colette as a "drama queen" (poor thing), for wanting to make me go to a doctor!! The headaches were probably due to extremely high blood pressure, which almost led to my demise!!

When I lived in Anerley, S.E.20 (Some of you may remember me as TOMSE20), I was on medication for high blood pressure. In fact my GP informed me that should I not control my blood pressure I had a 15% chance of a stroke/heart attack (how she arrived at that figure, I have no idea!!)  So by not registering with Colette's GP, I stopped taking my medication and the stroke, came to pass!!

So those of you on similar medication, please be warned, don't suddenly stop taking it, please learn from my stupidity!!

To keep it weather related, I attended our local church's over 50's community group on Friday. I had a chat with our Vicar, who informed me that the church (St. Mildred's Lee, on the South Circular), had been struck by lightning on a Friday afternoon, sometime during July, I think. Can vividly remember an almighty "gun-shot" crash of thunder, didn't see the lightning, as was in full Brontophobe mode, with lights on all over the house. Colette hearing the thunder, at work in Chislehurst, decided to come home early to sit with her panicky husband, fearing my blood-pressure would go through the roof!!

Our Vicar said all the electrics were "blown", in the Church. Can remember thinking that our own house had been struck, as the thunder seemed so close and the house was shaking (we're only ten minutes walking distance, from the Church)

Sorry about the "War and Peace" post, just wanted to share what today, means to me.

I'm going to spend the afternoon with my sister, who lives around the corner and rejoice in the fact that I'm still "here"!!

Hope you all enjoy, your Sunday. I'll make sure I will.

Very Best Wishes,

Tom. :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

Up early with my wife, before she started her 12 hour shift, at a Residential Care Home in Chislehurst. 

Weird feeling day for myself and Colette, exactly 3 years ago on this date, I became violently ill in the early hours of the morning. I thought I was suffering from food poisoning but I was experiencing a brain haemorrhage/stroke. I can vividly remember having an excruciating headache and pain, at the back of neck. Evidently, the bleed had pushed my brain down into the cavity, in my neck.

Colette and I were separated at the time and I was living with my son, daughter and her boyfriend in Chislehurst. My younger sister and her daughter, were also staying with us .My sister's fiance was self-employed and hadn't been paying his tax, correctly (tut, tut) and they were evicted. I gave up my bedroom to my sister and niece and I was sleeping on a mattress, in the lounge.

I can remember crawling on all fours to the downstairs bathroom and was violently ill. I called out to my daughter's boyfriend and he came downstairs, cleaned me up and got me back on the mattress. My daughter and her boyfriend came downstairs in the morning to find me unconscious. They quickly called an ambulance and I was whisked away to Bromley's PRU, hospital. The same day I was transferred to King's College (Denmark Hill) and underwent emergency brain surgery. Evidently I "died" twice, once in front of my poor wife, caught two lots of Meningitis and Encephalitis and a surgeon caused a tear to a ventricle, when removing a drain from my brain. 

After spending much time in a high dependency unit I was transferred to a rehabilitation ward in Lewisham hospital, in Dec.2015. Then transferred to Orpington hospital for the last ten days, of my hospitalisation. I returned back home with Colette on Feb.8th 2016. 

I have nothing but praise for our NHS staff who saved my life and have facilitated my excellent recovery. My illness had completely wiped my long term and short term memories, so much so that I'd completely forgotten my hobby was Meteorology and I was a member of Netweather!! Fortunately both long term and short term memories, are pretty much restored now.

I must also give praise to my darling wife, Colette, without whose love care and attention to detail, has made my excellent recovery, possible. I owe her so much!! She has valiantly fought my corner with Benefit Agencies and Hospital departments, to gain me extra Physio sessions. Despite my excellent recovery, still have compromised balance issues and cannot venture out, without an adult.

I stated on a thread the other day, that I had finally realised where my Brontophobia had come from. My highly superstitious Italian mother, would make the sign of the cross and invoking Santa Barbara, the Patron Saint of lightning and storms in general, in Italy. So as a young lad I developed a fear of lightning and thunder, unwittingly my lovely Italian mother had passed this on to me.

We have to be so careful, as parents, not to pass on our on fears and implant them on our children. My son and daughter would often see Dad with pillow over his head and cotton wool in his ears and putting lights on, all over the house, when lightning and thunder, were about!! I've been so lucky that my children havn't developed the same fear.

My brain haemorrhage/stroke, was partly due to my own phobia regarding health issues, implanted by my Hypochondriac of a Father. Every little twinge with him, was the "big C"!! He didn't do too bad, he died last October, aged 95, bless him(R.I.P.). But no doubt would still have had put on his tombstone that famous Spike Milligan-ism, "I told you I was ill", had he had the chance!!

Consequently when I moved in with Colette had to change GP's. Knowing I would have to undergo a raft of tests and thinking that severe headaches I was suffering, was something serious, kept putting off an appointment and kept referring to Colette as a "drama queen" (poor thing), for wanting to make me go to a doctor!! The headaches were probably due to extremely high blood pressure, which almost led to my demise!!

When I lived in Anerley, S.E.20 (Some of you may remember me as TOMSE20), I was on medication for high blood pressure. In fact my GP informed me that should I not control my blood pressure I had a 15% chance of a stroke/heart attack (how she arrived at that figure, I have no idea!!)  So by not registering with Colette's GP, I stopped taking my medication and the stroke, came to pass!!

So those of you on similar medication, please be warned, don't suddenly stop taking it, please learn from my stupidity!!

To keep it weather related, I attended our local church's over 50's community group on Friday. I had a chat with our Vicar, who informed me that the church (St. Mildred's Lee, on the South Circular), had been struck by lightning on a Friday afternoon, sometime during July, I think. Can vividly remember an almighty "gun-shot" crash of thunder, didn't see the lightning, as was in full Brontophobe mode, with lights on all over the house. Colette hearing the thunder, at work in Chislehurst, decided to come home early to sit with her panicky husband, fearing my blood-pressure would go through the roof!!

Our Vicar said all the electrics were "blown", in the Church. Can remember thinking that our own house had been struck, as the thunder seemed so close and the house was shaking (we're only ten minutes walking distance, from the Church)

Sorry about the "War and Peace" post, just wanted to share what today, means to me.

I'm going to spend the afternoon with my sister, who lives around the corner and rejoice in the fact that I'm still "here"!!

Very Best Wishes,

Tom. :hi:

My mam used to be a nurse (state-registered, midwife, district nurse, paediatric nurse and tropical diseases) and was adamant about cleanliness and were told off if we used the tea towels to dry our hands.  She was ahead of her time and knew the importance of washing of hands.

Today is a horrid dull overcast morning of boring-weather. No sun or rain. It is 16 °C  but because there is no sunshine, it feels colder than yesterday.  Yesterday morning was a perfect morning with sunshine and light winds.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Very Best Wishes,

Tom. 

Have a good afternoon mate. Always good to read your posts. Especially if there's a Spike Milligan gag thrown in! 

Boring non-event weather continues. Dull and 17c in London. May get some proper weather later in week. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Kids football called off

Rugby called off

we need rain and lots of it.... I don’t give a monkeys if people want to top up their tan and walk around in flip flops, it’s mid September now so let’s have some seasonable weather. 

All the best Tom, have a great Day. 

Enjoy reading your posts. 

• Like 4

Posted

The sun has finally appeared but I would not mind rain and sunshine, enough for my wild-flowers, flowering herbs, trees and bushes to grow.  Quite often I keep on thinking I can hear rain in the early hours of the morning but sadly, I must be dreaming.

• Like 2

Posted
On 15/09/2018 at 08:26, Team Squirrel said:

Light fog (or heavy mist?) here, can't see the hill opposite. Quite exciting to see it!

Fog index starts here!!!!

Not long to go before the OFI starts

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Lovely day here, lots of warm sunshine and 23C currently. My Australian in-laws arrive this week to stay with us for 5 weeks (as my partner and I are marrying on October 13th) so hopefully some decent weather around for their stay and not too much rain/wind/cloud. Though I think the reality might be somewhat different! I reckon we’re in line for a very stormy autumn, worryingly, and the sea temperatures are pretty high around much of the UK. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Lovely and warm here too, 24c recorded at Heathrow this afternoon, mild couple of days coming up.

I'm personally looking forward now to our lovely jubbly looney season, not long now.... I mean it could snow in 2 months time, I'm starting to get all excited!!:good:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

After a fairly chilly start this morning (9.0c) the earlier patchy cloud has now given way to clear blue skies and a very respectable 21.3c locally.

It's been a good weekend here weatherwise.

Wishing you well Tom.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, snowray said:

Lovely and warm here too, 24c recorded at Heathrow this afternoon, mild couple of days coming up.

I'm personally looking forward now to our lovely jubbly looney season, not long now.... I mean it could snow in 2 months time, I'm starting to get all excited!!

It could snow in 6 weeks time at end of October like it did in 2008. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
23 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

It could snow in 6 weeks time at end of October like it did in 2008. 

Didn't snow here that time but I know what you mean, that was the earliest snowfall in a very long time to hit many places in North London and the Home Counties. The opposite of that was what turned up a couple of years later right at the end of November when the South and East of London got lots of snow on an exceptionally cold Easterly, (for the time of the year anyway).

Posted
9 minutes ago, snowray said:

Didn't snow here that time but I know what you mean, that was the earliest snowfall in a very long time to hit many places in North London and the Home Counties. The opposite of that was what turned up a couple of years later right at the end of November when the South and East of London got lots of snow on an exceptionally cold Easterly, (for the time of the year anyway).

I think it will be early this year

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, lassie23 said:

I think it will be early this year

I hopes so!:rolleyes::laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Some very disturbed charts being churned out by GFS for next weekend, the one below is from the 18Z run. Autumn looks like blasting in, after a couple of quiet first weeks. Unusual to get such stormy weather in September. Hopefully, it won’t be quite as bad as modelled, the poor trees would take a battering, still being in full leaf. 

B6322BDA-21EB-47A3-AB77-9B031A9DC84C.png

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted

A lovely sunny morning where there is a partly cloudy blue sky.  The temperature now at 19 °C and humidity is at 86%.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Feels so nice out there this morning. 

Going to feel warm later in the sunshine. 

Wish it could be like this everyday until the snow arrives, skipping the mind numbing, boring, rain and wind.

• Like 3