Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Lovely out there today. This is the upper limit of my comfort level though. BBQ for the next few nights I think

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

31c here in Cambridge too - scorchio. Humidity is 44% so not a full on soup, but not a nice as the early summer heat which was more around the 30% mark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
2 hours ago, Blazerblue said:

Feeling lousy this morning. No sleep last night hasn’t helped. The Beeb and meto saying 24c top temp tomorrow for here, but netweather saying much higher! I’m hoping the Beeb n meto are right, with northerly breeze. No recovery here for grass or trees as we didn’t get nearly enough rain over the weekend. Roll on autumn I can’t take much more of this incessant heat.

With you @Blazerblueon the feeling lousy and unable to sleep last night. After midnight it was 23 C with 78% humidity in my garden and 25.5C in my bedroom.  Today I’m at my Father’s house as part of my regular care routine. It’s 30C in the shade on his weather station, no breeze at all and feels so humid that I’m seriously concerned about him. As I have been throughout this long hot few months. He’ll be 96 in 4 weeks time and until this heat started has managed well to live well in his own home.  In the last 6 weeks though he’s suffered headaches and dizziness, loss of appetite, no energy and breathlessness too - all symptoms that older adults and those with health problems are struggling with.  He’s exhausted and his poor old heart will be under strain in this heat - not affecting his forensic mind and memory though!  For obvious reasons I’d welcome average temperatures (and some regular rain for farmers). 

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Soaring Hawk said:

With you @Blazerblueon the feeling lousy and unable to sleep last night. After midnight it was 23 C with 78% humidity in my garden and 25.5C in my bedroom.  Today I’m at my Father’s house as part of my regular care routine. It’s 30C in the shade on his weather station, no breeze at all and feels so humid that I’m seriously concerned about him. As I have been throughout this long hot few months. He’ll be 96 in 4 weeks time and until this heat started has managed well to live well in his own home.  In the last 6 weeks though he’s suffered headaches and dizziness, loss of appetite, no energy and breathlessness too - all symptoms that older adults and those with health problems are struggling with.  He’s exhausted and his poor old heart will be under strain in this heat - not affecting his forensic mind and memory though!  For obvious reasons I’d welcome average temperatures (and some regular rain for farmers).  

I've been saying this to anyone who listens, especially people with family members that are vulnerable. If you can get an air conditioning unit get it. For £200 you can keep a large area cool and make life so much more comfortable. I've never looked back since getting mine. Helped little one no end brining room temp down from 30oC to 23oC.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Made it to 30C here, but alas that might be it as a large slab of high cloud has moved over here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

A very interesting chart placing each summer into a cool/warm/hot/wet/dry quadrant. No surprise to see how close 1976 and 2018 are!

1213981162_SummerintheEastplotDanHolley.thumb.jpg.a948363ce9e67e265917bba1924e09f1.jpg

"Using the period May-June-July as a proxy for 'summer' (since we've still got 1 month of meteorological summer to go), it appears that 1976 is the closest match to 2018 - at least for temperature and rainfall. Highlights how extreme this summer has been relative to the norm."

With thanks to Dan Holley: https://twitter.com/danholley_/status/1024921132154204160

Amazing how many years of the 21st century are in the hot & dry category. Worrying times ! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
3 minutes ago, shotski said:

Amazing how many years of the 21st century are in the hot & dry category. Worrying times ! 

by 2050 you'll be able to fry bacon on the pavements of london and camels will be a common pet

Posted

@Soaring Hawk, I really hope he’s ok, all my neighbours are of the older generation and all are suffering in this heat, I believe it’s reached 30c here today, hoping for cooler days soon. 

@c00ps, is your air con unit noisy? My son has autism and hates noise, but in this weather it’s something I need to look into, where did you purchase yours?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
17 hours ago, Mark wheeler said:

Great weather today , baking and humid on the train home and also at work  but nice and bright on the way home  and felt some of the day was left after a long days work . Looking forward to tomorrow as surprisingly the hottest day of this spell falls on my day off , so time to get the paddling pool out again and top up my holiday tan . I’ll enjoy it whilst we have it , you never know what’s later around the corner . 

Has anybody else noticed how the grass has already started to recover in some areas after the rain we had recently?.

Still yellow in the hills here. Tree leaves still folded but may have been saved for now. Think grass would have faired better had this warm spell held off a few days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Some nice weather earlier this week - but today is one of many this summer where productivity is way down due to the heat.

I was going to go to Sainsburys just now...but it's 50.c in my car!!! My fault for having a 20 year old Mx5 with no air con, just a sort of cool fan that resembled a warm hairdryer!!

Sill, I have so many cucumbers and toms that I could open a greengrocers. And my melons are about the size of a grapefruit currently, oh matron.

The warm summer has hastened the maturing of some things - all my squash are ready and I'm really not in the mood for roasty/soupy things, I'll just have to take them to my dad's for storage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Beautiful day until the cloud arrived 30 minutes ago. 

Reached 30.5c and felt lovely, long may it continue. 

Its summer, it’s suppose to be warm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

The temperature is  31°C and there is warm breeze 8 mph coming from an East West East direction along with gusts of 10 mph.

Posted
1 hour ago, Blazerblue said:

@Soaring Hawk, I really hope he’s ok, all my neighbours are of the older generation and all are suffering in this heat, I believe it’s reached 30c here today, hoping for cooler days soon. 

@c00ps, is your air con unit noisy? My son has autism and hates noise, but in this weather it’s something I need to look into, where did you purchase yours?

Yes it’s a bit noisier than a fan. If it’s night time you need it cool for but it’s too noisy you can run it in the room during the day then when he goes to bed turn it off. It generally keeps the room about 3oC cooler than when we don’t do that. Of course if you kept it running you can keep the room a set cool temp all night.

I got mine from Homebase 

• Like 1

Posted

A real breeze here, a very pleasant summer evening. 

If very cloudy. 

Posted

Many places hitting 34oC on my drive through London. As you get into Kent it varies from 33oC down to 30oC here in north Kent 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
32 minutes ago, Katrine Basso said:

warm breeze 8 mph coming from an East West East direction......

I haven't got that on my compass, or even on my OS app....

Posted
4 minutes ago, c00ps said:

Many places hitting 34oC on my drive through London. As you get into Kent it varies from 33oC down to 30oC here in north Kent 

Hi @c00ps pretty similar for me driving back from NW4. 33c in north London and around 30c arriving back in Bedfordshire 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Soaring Hawk said:

Absolutely. My parents are under orders to stay inside when possible, open windows only on the shaded side of the house, keep all the curtains shut, drink lots of water and do nothing strenuous. Dad (89, with a pacemaker and increasingly frail) is fighting me (obviously, I am only his daughter and know nothing) but then admits defeat after about ten minutes in the garden.

Only 25.5 °C in the bedroom? It's not been below 29 in mine for weeks!

Edited by Crepuscular Ray
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

The heat and humidity is also making me ill due to chronic ill health.  It was so different in the early 2000's where I could sit in the sun for long periods of time and not feel any discomfort.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Was 30.3c in the Bedroom last night, that's with all windows open and a fan. I'm only sleeping because I am just drained. Woke up at 3am and it was down to 26c and felt chilly. 

At the Moment it's cloudy, a breeze and 26c outside but it feels more like 22c. says alot.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
2 hours ago, Soaring Hawk said:

Best wishes for you father.:sorry:  If it's any consolation for you, it was 28C indoors when I was trying to sleep last night.

• Like 1

Posted

Sitting in my garden on my 2nd beer. Still feels very warm hot even sitting in the shade. If only everyday in summer was like this. We have been spoiled this summer. Hopefully after breakdown midweek Summer will make a return at least once more

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

33c today and my dad is wearing a jumper and scarf☃️ probably be wearing a vest in the winter when it's -10c