Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Recommended Posts

horrible in Worthing this morning. the rain feels like ice and its very heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

East kent hit hard!

 

 

31517239_2339336659413570_7913033529808650240_n.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel sorry for the little fledglings in our garden - I know there are some young robins which have just come out of their nest...real grim weather :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't belive the small differences in the region, Marlow dry hardly a breeze.. Kent pouring with rain and blowing a gale.. 

Still, models really struggled on this one and still they are all wrong.. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still getting orographic lift in this corner, lot's of rain to come I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Can't belive the small differences in the region, Marlow dry hardly a breeze.. Kent pouring with rain and blowing a gale.. 

Still, models really struggled on this one and still they are all wrong.. 

 

How are they all wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

How are they all wrong?

PPN intensity and totals, all off at the moment hard to tell which is closest to the mark after this mornings massive shift east, which looks wrong now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Surrey said:

PPN intensity and totals, all off at the moment hard to tell which is closest to the mark after this mornings massive shift east, which looks wrong now 

Yep whole thing still moving west slightly, may even clear the SE in a few hours unless it stalls. Been raining since about 2 yearsterday afternoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did think the big East swing this morning look quite suspect based on the radar from yesterday evening and overnight.

Probably METO orginal warning was close to the mark, current warning isn't west enough I suspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Yep whole thing still moving west slightly, may even clear the SE in a few hours unless it stalls. Been raining since about 2 yearsterday afternoon.

Plenty more to come from the East and it's extremely slow moving. So many flood alerts out now. Most of Ashford is covered by one for the Stour.

Rain rates up to 5mm/hour now, heavier bursts in between. I don't think it's going to clear until 9-10pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently it's snowing in Rouen in Northern France, so cold air wrapped up down there. I wonder if that will head north to cover our region with any wintriness?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, seb said:

Plenty more to come from the East and it's extremely slow moving. So many flood alerts out now. Most of Ashford is covered by one for the Stour.

Rain rates up to 5mm/hour now, heavier bursts in between. I don't think it's going to clear until 9-10pm.

Yep the rain is getting heavier up over the downs, and funneling into the rivers, Canterbury will probably have a few problems around the stour too. Even the dour looked high this morning. 

Edited by alexisj9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, tcc said:

 I wonder if that will head north to cover our region with any wintriness?

 

No chance, temps in London now 7c and expected to rise to around 8c despite the persistent rain.:)

Edited by Frosty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Rain has started here. A strong and gusty N’ly wind is making the shockingly bad 5C here feel sub zero. Grim!

Truly yukky out there. Car temperature is showing 6 degrees, but with the biting wind it is freezing. Yesterday felt little better along the South Bank, where a stiff breeze seemed to be coming off the Thames making things feel very cold - especially for the wedding couple with the bride very 'lightly' dressed for photographs (her midriff must have been really regretting that clothing choice). Last night I gave up for the dog walk and reluctantly got out the winter coat again. Roll on next weekend. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still dry in Peterborough but very very windy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not as wet or as windy as i was expecting. 8.3c, so even if it was smarch and it fell as snow, i'd still get my usual 2-4cm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snowfall in Normandy/Rouen area, northern France this morning:

https://actu.fr/societe/neige-normandie-fortes-pluies-alerte-vigilance-orange-plusieurs-departements-eure-seine-maritime-calvados_16595792.html

Only 11 days after 27-28C was reported in the area.

I wonder if the highest parts of the downs might see a bit of sleetyness. Probably not.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I am to far north and west (Harrow) although raining steadily in central. May seem bizzare to want it to shift west, although ever since I purchased a waterbutt the rain always seems to miss us / be light. I suspect I have jinxed the storms too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really is a rotten day under the rain in the SE temps 4c at best in some parts with winds close to 50MPH

5ae702ae897c5_download(1).thumb.png.f08ba807a17b5840995911e74b460b84.pngdownload.thumb.png.e42ee4b121caa99127f2588e2a170714.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

It really is a rotten day under the rain in the SE temps 4c at best in some parts with winds close to 50MPH

5ae702ae897c5_download(1).thumb.png.f08ba807a17b5840995911e74b460b84.pngdownload.thumb.png.e42ee4b121caa99127f2588e2a170714.png

yep it unpleasant temp 5.6c dew p 2.2c fallen half a degree in last hour....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Looks like the western edge is beginning to go back east now, right on time. 

I think for areas West of Central London this was a dodge a bullet day. Its hardly rained and the wind is standard. In fact the sun just tried to peep through here in Marlow 

For areas east of London and into Norfolk you guys unfortunately have a fair few hours of rain to come as this system pulls away... 

But nowhere near as bad as we were expecting or looking at a few days ago. 

Edit: rain band loosing a lot of intensity also over last half hour 

 

Edited by Surrey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

not as wet or as windy as i was expecting. 8.3c, so even if it was smarch and it fell as snow, i'd still get my usual 2-4cm

North West London has been spared the heavy rain, strange because the rain is as far west in the south as the IOW and extends up towards Norfolk but NW of London there has been like a dent in the heavier PPN. Probably would not have been cold enough for snow even in a winter month though, temps in the SE way too mild at 5-8c, if it was Feb maybe 2-5c so still not cold enough for snow, maybe sleet.

Just one word for here, vile! I mean really vile, this is not me being OTT, and I am not joking one bit, its vile, vile, vile. Strong gusty winds, heavy now moderate rain, vile! Not often that I get the green guy out now is it!:bad:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Looks like the western edge is beginning to go back east now, right on time. 

I think for areas West of Central London this was a dodge a bullet day. Its hardly rained and the wind is standard. In fact the sun just tried to peep through here in Marlow 

For areas east of London and into Norfolk you guys unfortunately have a fair few hours of rain to come as this system pulls away... 

But nowhere near as bad as we were expecting or looking at a few days ago. 

Edit: rain band loosing a lot of intensity also over last half hour 

 

Yes, looks like our area has at least been spared the rain, must be dire further east. Windy here though and gloomy, just 7C, very poor.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No rain here either in Cambridge - despite being under ppn echoes on the radar all day, barring a bit of drizzle early doors, it's been dry here too. Dodged one I think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×