Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Well October didn't turn out too bad overall:

2091176253_OctintheEast.thumb.jpg.bafa04d55f7dfacbf21808c99d7a2333.jpg

Extremes:
26.0C | 13th | Weybourne
-3.0C | 31st | Santon Downham
49mph | 12th | Marham

Chart & stats courtesy of @danholley_ Weatherquest.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Up early again but change of routine, this morning. Have come into work with my wife. Colette is a Senior Carer, in a Residential Care Home, in Chislehurst. So glad I only put a thin t-shirt on, the heating is on full blast for the elderly residents!! We got a cab in so it was door to door but could still feel the chill in the air, through my jacket. On the way in, noticed quite a ground frost on the fields adjacent to Mottingham Lane (for anyone that knows the area.) A few shallow mist patches hanging over the fields, too.

Managed to have a quick look at, " Weather for the week ahead*, before I left home. Not much to add to yesterday's summary. This morning's frost looks to be the last for the foreseeable future. As the remnants of ex-Hurricane Oscar track to the N.W. of the U.K over the weekend, it will be come quite windy with some strong gusts.  But no rain is expected to reach, our "neck of the woods" Looks like we'll stay on the mild side of the Jet-Stream into next week,with temps., into mid-teens and not falling too low overnight. We may experience a little rain but nothing too substantial, at the moment.

I think Colette's got her eye on a room to place this 'ole "raspberry", into. :D Can think of worst places to be in mind!! My Father lived here for 13 years, before finally dying last October aged 95. Think that bears testament to how well the staff here, look after their residents!! Hope Colette doesn't put me in here though, some of the rooms are £1,500 per week, fortunately Dad didn't have to pay though. 

Wish it wasn't so hot in here though and can't open the window, the elderly residents feel the cold!!

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters

seriously icy this morning at 0615 following the light rain last night. had to defrost the door handles to open the car and the windows wouldn't go down for a good few mins until the car had heated up.

Posted
3 hours ago, username home said:

seriously icy this morning at 0615 following the light rain last night. had to defrost the door handles to open the car and the windows wouldn't go down for a good few mins until the car had heated up.

Very similar in the Surbiton part of town two hours later, a lovely crisp start but a race to clear the ice from the car before a large delivery truck reversed down my road! Nonsuch Park had plenty of white grass remaining underfoot for the dog walk at 9am and I finally dug out a winter scarf.

Nonsuch november.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

First time Ive had to deice the car this morning since last winter. Heating on again tonight but probably the last time for a while now as temps are rising again for the next week or so according to the forecast.

As much as I loathe the cold and dark, I must admit it is nice to be snuggled up and toasty when it's bitter outside.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

An extremely cold end to winter and then a record dry and hot summer, could this be the reason for the demise of the Cranefly and it’s possible knock on effects. 

8A5F70A8-B160-4DB9-95F8-5B7284007ED0.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A much better day here than yesterday, plenty of sunshine but not feeling too warm. The boiler packed up 5 days ago, great timing lol but new boiler installed today and all working fine, thankfully, was getting a bit chilly and cold showers were no fun at all

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Up early again, to perform my usual early morning routine. Had breakfast with wife, before seeing her off at 6.20. But declined Colette's offer of accompanying her to work today!! She has a double shift (12 hours) but that's a shift too far for me, at the moment.

Despite really enjoying my time at her place of work yesterday, having been up a 5 AM, was really flagging by Midday!! :help: Wanted to get out of there, dead on 1 PM, get home, have my lunch and get to bed, for my afternoon nap. I had a really lovely time there, was able to take my Laptop and stay in touch with Netweather. Have plenty to occupy myself today, continuing to host a "Fantasy" Competition on the Sports Zone (which our very own LASSIE, pot noodles n' all, is currently leading!!) :clap:

Was a real eye-opener at my Wife's work yesterday. I sat quietly on my Laptop, looking up occasionally to see some residents wandering about haphazardly, in a scene reminiscent of, "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest". Expected Jack Nicholson to walk in at any moment!! 

I'd better be careful what I say though, after my CVA (Cerebrovascular Accident). Doctor's could not guarantee that I would regain all my faculties. when I came out of my coma. But thankfully, I soon regained the ability to talk, walk and eat properly. It's been a long hard struggle though!! Colette was worried that I may develop Vascular Dementia, a definite risk after suffering a CVA. Touch wood, I'm a lot better now. I can only venture out if accompanied by an adult though. The CVA has left me with, "inattention to my left hand side" and that 'aint clever, if crossing roads on your own. 

When I came out of hospital, I'd even forgot that Meteorology was my hobby and that I was a member of Netweather!! Thankfully my short and long term memory has returned, in the main. One of the first memory tests I gave myself was to recite the Shipping Forecast areas, from Viking through to S.E.Iceland. I struggled at first but with a little practice, can now complete the task. Also, to recite the Celsius and equivalent Fahrenheit temp. scale, all the way from 38c(100f) down to Minus 20c (-4f). I'd been able recite these from my mid-teens, I'm now sixty-three.

Back to the Weather for the Week ahead, last night with Ben Rich. Not much to add to the last couple of summaries really. Ben emphasised that last night's frost, probably the last for the foreseeable. We look like being stuck in a mild S.W. flow for the weekend and through the coming week. For those of you having a firework display tonight, quite breezy but mild, min. temps no lower than 9c or 10c. Remaining mild next week  and mostly dry with sunny spells and max temps, in the mid-teens and no frost at night.

Hope you all enjoy, the weekend.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Bit windy this morning but some sun has appeared. Nice satellite pics showing the storm to the NW very clearly 

11997F77-BE01-4828-A61F-3E1563D7ADA3.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Today is a strange weather day, it is not dull nor sunny. The weather is supposed to be mild but feels colder when it was sunny with a chill in the air. The temperature is 12 °C but feels much colder even with the heating on.

A lot of the time I feel like I am living in a cross between the Twilight Zone and the Outer Limits.

I miss the shipping forecasts and listening to the recordings  of them help me relax and go to sleep.  As I was getting interested them they took it off.  I remember the time every year the weather forecaster would give the annual barometer settings.  The Met Office used to have a page where you could find your local barometer settings but not any-more.

Simba my cat has been keeping me on my feet with opening the door for him and feeding him etc.  It is difficult to understand his meows.  He likes to meow at the window.

I have seen that November has been forecasted to be very mild, very wet and very windy and with a strong SW winds and with a jet stream going North.

Good Day Tom and I hope you are having a lovely day too.

Edited by Katrine Basso
edit sentence and add information
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
11 hours ago, Katrine Basso said:

I miss the shipping forecasts and listening to the recordings  of them help me relax and go to sleep.  As I was getting interested them they took it off. .......

The shipping forecasts are still broadcast  daily on Radio 4  Katrine. Early morning and late evening :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qfvv

It's been another decent day down here on the South Coast, feeling quite pleasant in the sunshine and still no frost here so far...

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

It started off as a beautifully sunny morning with a blue sky and scattered cumulus clouds but it did not last and has become overcast.  The temperature is 10°C but feels more like 8°C.

Posted

Earlier on it was sunny with scattered clouds but it has quickly clouded over with stratocumulus clouds.  The temperature is 12 °C  but feels like 11 °C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

A very respectable maximum today of 16.2c locally despite being mostly cloudy. Sitting on the seafront in Hastings this afternoon it felt anything but Autumnal with no breeze and mostly clear blue skies just a few miles to the east.

I've yet to record a frost here this Autumn, the closest call so far was 1.8c on October 31st. Nearby Herstmonceux reported -0.2c that night, making it the first frost there since March 29th if I'm not mistaken.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Foggy old start this morning with a chill that turned into a pleasant autumnal day. 

Give me this to the miserable wet Atlantic dross anyday. 

Any delay of rain here most welcome, I have dogs to walk and work outside! 

Meanwhile the ‘hunt for cold thread’ are wetting their pants because an ice age isn’t showing up on the models in the next 3 weeks on 5th November 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Foggy old start this morning with a chill that turned into a pleasant autumnal day. 

Give me this to the miserable wet Atlantic dross anyday. 

Any delay of rain here most welcome, I have dogs to walk and work outside! 

Meanwhile the ‘hunt for cold thread’ are wetting their pants because an ice age isn’t showing up on the models in the next 3 weeks on 5th November 

It will be gone in two days and back to mild, although i think we just hade the shortest winter ever as we skipped straight back into spring today with 17c

Posted

Nice enough day here, quite a lot of mid to higher level cloud but some warm sunshine too, reached 16C. 

Posted

An hour ago, it was a lovely sunny morning with scattered fair weather clouds.  This did not last long as the cumulus clouds have changed to stratocumulus clouds. The temperature is 12 °C but feels more like 10 °C. 

Posted

Breaking News...................Croydon Council have ditched the MetO and signed a long contract with MeteoGroup..................MeteoGroup had a horrid time with the BBC in the beginning............Let's see how they cope with the Croydon Council.........................Oh yes, looks like a much cheaper contract with MeteoGroup!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

This thread has now been locked with a fresh new thread started below.