Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

As I thought it would be, just had a wonderful walk with the Wife, to Lee Green. Weather absolutely glorious, bit of a nip in the air but felt reasonably warm in the sun. Superb Autumnal weather, with plenty more to come next week going by a forecast I saw earlier on, for our region. Only the WN.W. of the U.K, looking unsettled.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

To the man wearing shorts this morning I salute you. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Not one foggy night or day this October IMBY be lucky to even see sleet if the OFI is accurate, let's hope it's about as accurate as the OPI

• Like 5

Posted
16 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Not one foggy night or day this October IMBY be lucky to even see sleet if the OFI is accurate, let's hope it's about as accurate as the OPI

Or indeed the FLW. 

Front Loaded Winter.... Grrrrrrr. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
46 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Or indeed the FLW. 

Front Loaded Winter.... Grrrrrrr. 

Or even the OD - Overall Decipher?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Cold start but warmed up a bit - had late breakfast in Cobham, sat outside and it was a strange procession of either people in shorts and capped sleeved tops looking sporty, or fur trimmed hats and coats with people thinking it was winter. Lovely late afternoon walk on Esher Common.

JPEG image-E23487719B05-1.jpeg

JPEG image-982A4169BE4A-1.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted

Some rain about to move into our region

https://en.meteox.com/

Regards,

Tom, :hi:

Posted

Up already, to partake in my early morning ritual of "cuppa", viewing recording of "weather for the week ahead", B.P. medication, then breakfast.

Was kept awake by wife's snoring, the tell-tale "swish" of isolated traffic on the main road, a short distance from my house and some sad memories, from back in the late, 1960's. 

Was glad that my wife was in a deep sleep, as she has had problems sleeping recently. She has a very stressful job and has 12 hour shifts, tomorrow and Saturday, so really needs some beneficial sleep.

Enjoying cuppa and have just seen Nick Miller, with the early morning forecast.

Cloud and rain duly arrived in our region overnight, hence the "swish" of traffic, outside! So with the cloud and rain, milder overnight temps., ensued. Temps., around 10c and would imagine the Min., was in the early part of the night, before cloud/rain arrived.

Nick kept emphasising that the touch of frost tonight, would be the last for the foreseeable future. In our region, we'll be bathed in air originating, from way south, as we'll be entrenched on the mild side of the Jet-Stream, for the foreseeable. 

Today's rain, will probably take until late afternoon to clear the extreme east of our region. Then remnants of ex-Hurricane/T.S. Oscar, will track to the N.W. of the U.K, during the week-end. No rain, down here but likely to become very windy. Temps. back up to the mid-teens, on a mild S,W. flow. Perhaps a little rain on Sunday, as another area of low pressure makes inroads from the west, for a short while. For the early part of next week, our region looks to stay mainly dry, temps. average or a little above and as stated before, mild nights with no frost.

So, it's "Pinch, Punch", first day of the month. It's "All Saints Day" in the Roman Catholic calendar and along with "All Souls Day"(tomorrow), both very important days, for Italians and a very sad time for my family.

Back in the late 1960's, my Italian Grandmother, Giuseppina (you've guessed it, Josephine in Italian), was walking home after attending church, on either the 1st or 2nd November(can't remember which), for a service to celebrate these 2 Saints days. A small lorry mounted the pavement and knocked my Nan over, killing her instantly!! The impatient lorry driver swerved onto the pavement to try and beat the arm, of a descending level-crossing barrier, to get to the other side of the railway tracks, before an on-coming train arrived. My relatives home town of Caserta, Campania, southern Italy. has many level-crossings. The doctor carrying out the post-mortem on my Nan, who was in her 80's at the time, said she was as "fit as a fiddle" and would probably have lived a lot longer had this "B", not killed her!! I can still  remember returning home from school that day to a very solemn hosehold, in darkness and Mum in bed!! Dad told me that when the news reached Mum, she collapsed and screamed the house down. She took the news so bad that Dad had to call out our G,P, who gave Mum some sleeping tablets. Mum stayed in bed for a couple of days, trying to cope with her grief!!

Amazingly, despite there being many eye-witnesses and a mountain of Police evidence, the lorry driver escaped conviction. At the time in Italy and probably is, still to this day, it's a case of "who you know" and not "what you know", such is the "malaise" in the Italian Jurisdiction System. The lorry driver got off, "Scot-Free"!!:angry:

I can still picture my Nan, loads of silver hair piled on top of her head. Black rimmed spectacles, framing her tiny face!! Always dressed in black, seemingly the "uniform" of all Mediterranean women, of advanced years!!

Quindi, riposa in pace Nonna (So, rest in peace Grandmother)

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Morning All. 

Has anyone seen any Crane Fly (daddy long legs) yet this year ? I was wondering if the exception dry & hot summer we’ve just had may have impacted on the species seeing as they spend most of their life living as grubs under ground. Another impact of climate change maybe ?

Edited by shotski

Posted
47 minutes ago, shotski said:

Morning All. 

Has anyone seen any Crane Fly (daddy long legs) yet this year ? I was wondering if the exception dry & hot summer we’ve just had may have impacted on the species seeing as they spend most of their life living as grubs under ground. Another impact of climate change maybe ?

Seen a few but not many. Very few insects squashed on the front of my car but that might be something to do with aerodynamics of newer cars. 

Had no Tree Bee nests this year. They are a fairly  recent addition to this country and fairly prevalent until this year. 

Posted

Thick fog and temp of 8.4c this morning, definitely autumnal.

Barely seen any daddy-long-legs this year, maybe the odd one or two but certainly not experienced the dive-bombing of usual years in the slightest. Maybe the heat did do something good in retrospect 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
1 hour ago, shotski said:

Morning All. 

Hello there.

We had quite a few of them indoors about 3 weeks ago, but none since.

Very wet here this morning thoroughly depressing.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted

much milder, misty and damp today. Been raining but none when school run called. 

Can't say I've seen any cranie's at all this year. Can remember there was an underground walkway where I used to live and there would be tons there. 

Either that or the Cat's eaten them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather
3 hours ago, shotski said:

Morning All. 

I have seen crane fly cobwebs and at least two crane flies in my kitchen.  I have seen spiders and I have a favourite spider that keeps the flies away and makes a lovely web.  I have got quite a few spiders in my garden and they have weaved their webs on the washing line rotator which look so pretty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Good morning all.

It is a horrible dreich day with early morning rain.  The rain started yesterday evening and I woke to the sound of the rain.  It is cooler than yesterday and the temperature now is 9°C. The rain is forecasted to last until 5pm.  The grass in my garden is very green as Thurrock has had a lot of rain as Thurrock must have its own micro climate.  I am looking forward to getting my own weather station, so that I can accurately forecast the weather for Thurrock.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

Heavy rain and rolling thunder in Greenwich Park just as I’m walking the dog. 

Posted
6 hours ago, shotski said:

Morning All. 

You know, now that I think of it, no I haven't. Kitchen, which opens into the garden, usually plagued with them in autumn. Actually, not that many creepy crawlies in general this autumn. 

I have been so abjectly bored with the weather this autumn I haven't been paying much attention. 

Posted

We’ve had one Crane Fly make it’s way in, but that’s it.

Absolutely horrendous in Southend today. Lots of surface flooding/standing water on the roads. Awful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!

Crane flies? - only a few of them here, come to think of it - they usually drive the cat mad, but not this year.

A dreadful, blustery, miserable grey day, here.  It's not stopped raining since about 8am. Getting cold as well as it gets toward dark and lights have been on since before lunch,

The rain will help replenish the aquifers, if it doesn't all run off, but days like today aren't very nice if you do have to be out and about.

Posted

peed it down ( didn't hear any thunder) and still raining on/off. 8c which felt milder to the other day when it was 8c but there's no wind. Amazing the difference.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

No thunder here today, but lots of heavy rain, especially in the morning. Some surface water issues reported locally

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

yuck!...what a dreadful day, had about 15mm of rain (the most for ages we've had in a day), can't stand it when we get these slow moving fronts that get stuck over us, blame that bloody high pressure over western Russia

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

November........what a crappy month, at least it's the start of the wasp free season

no it's not!