Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Super sunny day , first air frost proper down to -0.7c . End of the pumpkin mania at Garson’s Farm !

1D372687-D59E-43EF-96BF-A3F33CA2CA84.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Not long been up after my afternoon nap. Even with the heating on, still feels fairly chilly in the house.

Thought I'd share this with you all. Happy memories for me but not for Paul Sherman!!:nonono:

Earlier today, I sent a friend a youtube clip of Croydon Feb 2nd 2009 In the snow, after the all night "Thames Streamer" event but noticed on the Platform information screens it states, "DISRUPTION", due to extreme weather conditions but the date - FEB 2nd 2008. Typical British Rail, can't even get that right!! Thought my Stroke damaged brain, was playing tricks on me!! But of course, it was 2009. Anyway, any excuse to play this clip again:

Did you spot British Rail's error? The Office where I worked, was a mere five minutes walk away, from where the majority of this video was shot. Never thought I would see scenes like this in Central Croydon. It was my day off, on that Monday and I went for a "snow walk" into Bromley from Lee, with my wife. Snow was around 6" thick in Lee, about another couple of inches in Bromley. Bromley High Street was like a "ghost town", with a lot of shops closing early or not opening, at all!

Got to work the following day to find 8"-9" of level snow in Central Croydon. In all the time I'd worked in Croydon and lived in the Bromley area, I'd never seen Croydon "out-snow" Bromley, in a "Thames Streamer" set-up. Croydon is 8 miles, WSW of Bromley, therefore obviously further away from a source of moisture (Thames Estuary). Snowfall was even heavier in towns, such as Guildford. Below, is Paul Sherman's brilliant "Polystyrene Balls" account of why this strange snowfall distribution, occurred:

Sorry to remind you of the pain again, Paul! Hope you don't mind me reproducing that article, it's really informative. Hope you get more opportunities for Southend to regain it's rightful position, at the top of the "Thames Streamer" league table, this Winter!!:clap:

Regards,

Tom.  :hi::cold:

• Like 3

Posted

Up really early, to share breakfast with my wife before she started her early morning shift. Came downstairs and put the heating on for half an hour, to take the chill off the lounge. It soon became too toasty though, in our "dolls house" sized house!! The heating is now off. When Colette left and opened the front door, I could feel,quite a nip in the air.

Watched a recording of, "Weather for the week ahead", with my early morning cuppa, and the low that spun up from the Med, during yesterday, is now entering the southern N.Sea. The rain associated with this low, in the main, is well to the east of us. Just some light rain, in the extreme east of our region. It's possible that the east of E.Anglia could see a heavier pulse of rain, for a time. 

Then it gets a bit messy, synoptically. A few fronts (What do you call a group of fronts in the plural, a gaggle??) :cc_confused:

So, a little bit of light rain maybe tomorrow and Thursday, with temps returning to average, for the time of year, as winds turn into the S.W. 

Then remnants of ex.T/S Oscar hitches a ride on the Jet-Stream and tracks to the N.W. of the U.K., over the week-end but it doesn't look as if it impacts on our weather down here, apart from maintaining a S.W., flow. So, certainly feeling milder than it has done, for the past few days.

Early signs that the Atlantic will move up a gear, as we head into the following week. So, the weather looking more mobile and unsettled, then.

Just saw a graphic, on the ITV forecast for today. A broad swathe of Eastern districts under, spells of rain. Think that "ship has sailed", already and looks well off!! Just seen Laura Tobin again and she just has the extreme east of E.Anglia, under a bit of rain. Perhaps they've had a rethink, already!!

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What an horrendous morning!

Constant moderate rain, a moderate NNW breeze and 7.3C. It's a gloomy as heck!

Posted
40 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

What an horrendous morning!

Constant moderate rain, a moderate NNW breeze and 7.3C. It's a gloomy as heck!

Hi Pete,

Perhaps it has edged a bit further west now. Apologies to Ms. Tobin!! I was a bit premature but then I was when I was born, scrawny little thing at 5 lb 13 oz.:D

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Posted

Just spoke to Weatherman acquaintance of mine, Ian Currie. He moved down to Storrington, West Sussex from Coulsdon, just south of Croydon, in May. He was quite animated, he's already recorded 13 ground frosts at his weather site, in Storrington. That's the most he's ever recorded , by this time of the Autumn. When he lived in Coulsdon, Ian had weather stations in his garden at Coulsdon and on his allotment at Chipstead Valley (quite a notorious "frost hollow").

Ian has kindly agreed to come up to S.E.London next Friday, to perform a talk based on his book, Frosts, Freezes and Fairs, at our local Church Group. Although I've seen the talk twice, I'm really looking forward to seeing it again. It's very informative and entertaining. I have a copy of this book and would thoroughly recommend it to cold weather fans!! You can still get copies on Amazon.

Frosts, Freezes, And Fairs: Chronicles Of The Frozen Thames And Harsh Winters In Britain Since 1000 Ad
Want to Read

Frosts, Freezes, And Fairs: Chronicles Of The Frozen Thames And Harsh Winters In Britain Since 1000 Ad

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

A grim day here in Surrey, just 5.9c still dry though ,not sure if that rain will edge this far west  ..?

• Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Just spoke to Weatherman acquaintance of mine, Ian Currie. He moved down to Storrington, West Sussex from Coulsdon, just south of Croydon, in May. He was quite animated, he's already recorded 13 ground frosts at his weather site, in Storrington. That's the most he's ever recorded , by this time of the Autumn. When he lived in Coulsdon, Ian had weather stations in his garden at Coulsdon and on his allotment at Chipstead Valley (quite a notorious "frost hollow").

Ian has kindly agreed to come up to S.E.London next Friday, to perform a talk based on his book, Frosts, Freezes and Fairs, at our local Church Group. Although I've seen the talk twice, I'm really looking forward to seeing it again. It's very informative and entertaining. I have a copy of this book and would thoroughly recommend it to cold weather fans!! You can still get copies on Amazon.

Want to Read

Cheers for the head up about the book. 

May just treat myself to that. 

Bit nippy today. 5.8c here. No rain on way though. Dull and dry. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Grim here too - 7.1C, dull and rainy, and windy with it!

• Like 1

Posted

Hi, W88.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm sure you will too, if like me you're a cold weather fiend. Ian's talk is thoroughly enjoyable too.

Regards,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
7 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Grim here too - 7.1C, dull and rainy, and windy with it!

For a minute I thought you wrote MINUS 7.1C 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
On 28/10/2018 at 16:41, stainesbloke said:

Got the butternut squashes in today. The sun appeared here around lunchtime which was nice but still a very cold wind.

Now to make soup.

8C927AF5-9932-4AF4-8D0F-73E0D3B07C14.jpeg

never saw these pictures, they are impressive.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

mmm. It was cloudy and although we missed the rain, there was a dampness to the air. The Breeze was a few C above a real Icy 'goes right though you' kind of breeze, could feel the potential, mind. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very unpleasant day here, grey, windy and cold but at least it is dry. Currently 8C. My family in the SE of the Czech Republic are reporting nearly 20C with gale force SE’ly winds, very unusual for there, that storm appears to be affecting many parts of Europe. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
13 minutes ago, Dami said:

mmm. It was cloudy and although we missed the rain, there was a dampness to the air. The Breeze was a few C above a real Icy 'goes right though you' kind of breeze, could feel the potential, mind. 

and so the endless days of cloud and gloom begin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

and so the endless days of cloud and gloom begin

I didn't wear my gloves to pop out and grab bubs from school. It was needed. The woolly Hat has returned and I'm not sorry at all. But I could of killed for my gloves. 

Posted

Mr.Murr has just posted this on the MAD thread. Now wouldn't this be a veritable, "Feast from the East",a few weeks further down the line.  Apologies to Sun, headline writers!! :D

A20E2E8F-2FCB-4A52-895C-DD9E34528FEA.thumb.png.afe11b8d3d623d83e35bcfa05f2353a2.png

Regards,

Tom. :hi::cold:

• Like 1

Posted
On 29/10/2018 at 15:19, Badgers01 said:

Super sunny day , first air frost proper down to -0.7c . End of the pumpkin mania at Garson’s Farm !

1D372687-D59E-43EF-96BF-A3F33CA2CA84.jpeg

We were at Garsons Farm too yesterday, enjoying the Christmas displays and buying pumpkins from the farm shop rather than picking them! As you say, it's all starting to look quite bare over there. It was a beautiful autumn day to walk through the woodlands; the recent blue skies and sunshine weather has been great. Autumn proper is here:)

IMG_20181029_152542.jpg

IMG_20181029_141332.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Up early again, to take B.P. medication. Already had breakfast and viewed last night's recorded forecast, with Nick Miller.

Another pretty chilly morning, sub zero in quite a few parts of our region. Have had to put the heating on briefly. Very pleasant day ahead, just the chance of a shower. Wind has now turned back into the S/S.W. Some sunny spells then, with temps around 13c, in the London area. A milder night to come, no frost, with cloud increasing from the south and outbreaks of rain developing for our region, as a couple of fronts, amalgamate. Tomorrow, looking to be a cloudy day with some rain from tome to time, which maybe slow to clear the extreme, E. of our region. Max. temps similar to today's. Perhaps a touch of frost tomorrow night, under a ridge of high pressure. Ex Hurricane/Tropical Storm Oscar, then tracks to our N.W but having little impact on our region, apart from it becoming a little breezy, on Fri/Sat but it helps to maintain a S./S.W flow. So milder than of late, with no frost, sunny spells during the day and temps, back up into the mid-teens. We look like staying on the mild side of the Jet-Stream, as we head into next week. So, mainly dry with sunny spells and temps,, in the mid-teens with milder nights than of late, with no frost.

So, some very "useable", weather ahead for our region.

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

A lovely crisp, frosty morning here with no cloud and not even a hint of breeze. Finally a decent frost too with air temps down to -0.2C, so lawn and roofs white and bird bath frozen over. Here's how the minimums look across the Region:

512964102_MinTempEast31Oct.thumb.jpg.fb337e0ea25c79b9c16165698dbd6320.jpg

Chart courtesy of @danholley_. Weatherquest.

• Like 3

Posted

Just off out for, what should be a very pleasant walk to Lee Green with my wife, to pick up some ingredients for another one of my wife's excellent, Lasagna's. Already been spoilt, culinary wise, this week, with an excellent pork loin roast plus all the trimmings, on Monday evening. Went down very well, especially as the weather feeling much more seasonal, now.

Keep enjoying the Pot Noodles, Lassie!!:D

Regards,

• Like 1

Posted

-1.8.c this morning according to my unreliable window thermometer, lovely crisp morning. Those low temps are kicking off a leaf fall despite no breeze, it's a beautiful autumn morning.

We complete on our flat today and by tonight we'll be renters in our former home as we sold to an investor and are now his first tenants until we find somewhere new. This process started in the 30.c heat of July, now look at it! While I'm looking forward living in a house and to a weather station, barbeque and not hauling the shopping up 3 flights of stairs, unless I win the lottery tomorrow, I very much doubt I'll be living amongst the tall trees and sweeping lawn of the communal garden  of the former hotel these flats are built on.  It's been a privilege to watch the leave fall and the squirrels building nests and I mill miss that enormously.

It's November tomorrow - winter weather watching - yay! But I don't know whether to follow the main model thread...or the hunt for cold thread!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Gorgeous clear morning, sunny skies, light winds and with a chilly start but the temperature has already reached 9C here. The sunlight is showing off the autumn colours nicely. 

• Like 2