Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
22 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Heavy rain, thunder and lightning in dover.

Thundersnow under better circumstances. E Kent would have seen a lot of snow nice streamer.

• Like 2

If only we were a month or so later with this cold spell and some of us would be waking up to snow with the prospect of a very wintry day in store... 

Instead, we are left with a very cold wind and even colder rain with some hail although yesterday afternoon some snow was reported over northern parts of the region and on my Facebook snow apparently started falling around the higher parts of Surrey..It didn't here mind.

Looks more and more likely we are going to go back to a pattern we are more "use" to that being an Atlantic onslaught as the cold air once again to our East is shunted away and cold air digs south over not so favorable places (North america/East coast)

Also note on the current radar is London UHI pumping up the showers a bit? Or am I imagining that 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

And we have hail!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

As suggested by the radar returns, that I viewed before retiring to bed plus reports from those members, in E.Kent, quite a lively night, in that area of our region. With 850 temps of around -2c, interacting with a sea surface temp. of around +14.4c, off the Southend coast at the moment, that 16+c differential giving rise, to some decent instability. On that note, Regional members might like to Bookmark the following links. Firstly, SST's around the U.K:

https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/united-kingdom/

And now, which most of you no doubt have already, Belgian/Dutch Radar:

https://www.buienradar.be/

Agree with Daniel above, had we been a few more weeks further down the line, think Mid/E.Kent, south-westwards into E.Sussex, would've seen some heavy thundery, wintry/snow showers, on that strong north-easterly flow!!

Perhaps some more heavy showers, in the same areas today. Perhaps a touch of frost tonight, as the N.E. wind, eases off.

Come Tuesday, forecasts suggesting an area of low pressure that started life in the Med, will spin up northwards, into the N.Sea. Just how wet and windy, forecasts not too sure, yet. But certainly looking to turn less cold, as winds turn back into the S.W., by mid-week. Wet and windy again, by the end of the week.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

PS. Some showers, have now reached here in Lee, S.E.London.

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

well, it's a garbage day weatherwise, 4 c cloudy and rainy, no hail. Anyone looking for another shot of cold early next month, seems to be out of luck.

Posted

Heavy rain here now!!

https://en.meteox.com/en-gb?fc=0&lightning=1

In the last frame some sferics approaching the Norfolk/Suffolk coast.

Regards,

Posted
17 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Heavy rain here now!!

https://en.meteox.com/en-gb?fc=0&lightning=1

In the last frame some sferics approaching the Norfolk/Suffolk coast.

Regards,

Tom. 

Perfect wind direction ENE, how rude! :nonono:

CF7BAE4C-BAF3-4D1F-BBBF-5866FF432A4D.thumb.jpeg.0636ce3a0f183cf8f07ed7909e45d5cd.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Good Morning everyone.

Just brightened up here now with patches of blue sky after a continuous belt of heavy showers. If only it was late December we could have enjoyed a winter wonderland.

My attention is drawn to late Monday/Tuesday with the very deep system over southern France which is projected to move north. Depending on its ultimate position we could end up with a lot of heavy rain. I was hoping to watch a football match on Canvey Island Tuesday evening, but it must have an element of doubt attached to it going ahead. Even if it is played it is not the warmest of grounds in winter.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

If only it was January, there’d be a lot of excitement. In reality, a miserably cold and wet morning here, no sign of any sunshine yet though hopefully that’ll change soon. Had a brief but heavy rain shower earlier. Best nip to the allotment and harvest my remaining butternut squashes in case we get a frost.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Good morning everyone.

Yesterday was a miserable day which consisted of fine rain and drizzle.

There has been moderate to heavy rainfall earlier on in the morning approx 6:00 am which stopped approx 9:30 am which brightened for a while.  There has been some bright sunshine but it did not last long.  The temperature now at 10 am is 7°C.

Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Perfect wind direction ENE, how rude! :nonono:

CF7BAE4C-BAF3-4D1F-BBBF-5866FF432A4D.thumb.jpeg.0636ce3a0f183cf8f07ed7909e45d5cd.jpeg

Yes Daniel, how very rude indeed!! :DReally hoping we see a lovely ENE snow-laden, Thames Streamer, as we move into Winter, in our neck of the woods!!

Regards,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

What a difference a week makes. I had two weddings last weekend, my pictures were full of sunshine and guests in strappy dresses drinking outside.
Yesterday's wedding was just so cold (during dinner I checked and it was 2 degrees), I didn't even see the smokers go outside! A shock to the system as they said it would be. 

Today however I am enjoying the rain so I can have cosy Sunday at home, editing all the pictures.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Afternoon all.

After a short, sharp hail shower, a couple of hours back, it's now 9C with a moderate NE breeze and good sunny spells...T-shirt weather again!:good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Got the butternut squashes in today. The sun appeared here around lunchtime which was nice but still a very cold wind.

Now to make soup.

8C927AF5-9932-4AF4-8D0F-73E0D3B07C14.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

A real stark transition, from Summer like to more seasonal weather, when I think about the weather today compared with last Sunday.  

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Got the butternut squashes in today. The sun appeared here around lunchtime which was nice but still a very cold wind.

Now to make soup.

8C927AF5-9932-4AF4-8D0F-73E0D3B07C14.jpeg

Wow! Fabulous looking crop.

Might try growing them next year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
On 27/10/2018 at 20:59, bluebell said:

Evening all! Extremely fortunate all day on the East Sussex coast, a pic from the final stage of the Beachy Head marathon, we bought up the rear guard of those walking it , 7hrs 45mins, about 10min improvement on last year! I’ll stand down snow watch for here tonight since I don’t think we’re in with a shout;all the best for those who are though!

E2D79211-C179-4190-9604-CFDCF376A28D.jpeg

Well done for completing that and pleased the weather held out for all who took part.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Up really early!! Damn Blood Pressure medication, makes my skin very itchy. A necessary evil though and very important to keep taking it, rather than risking another Brain Haemorrhage/Stroke but it is very uncomfortable, which only seems to affect me, during the night!! :angry:

So, have watched a recording of "Weather for the week ahead". Certainly a chilly start to the day (have had to put the heating on, feels very "parky", in the lounge!!).

As that N.E. wind has dropped out, showers have retreated back to parts of E.Anglia/N.Sea. Max. of about 10c, in the London area today, so will still feel pretty chilly.

During today, an area of low pressure will track north, from the Med., across France. the low countries and on into the N,Sea, deepening as it does so. It looks as though most of the ppn, will stay to our East, although the East of our region may catch some heavy rain, for a while. By Tuesday P.M., this low and attendant rain, will be departing away to our N.E.

By Wednesday, the winds will be turning back into the S,W, so it will start to feel, milder. Bit of a synoptic "mess" across our region. with a front bringing some rain. for a while. By the end of the week, we await the arrival of the remnants of Tropical Storm, "Oscar". This looks like being gathered up by the Jet-Stream and tracks its way towards the N.W, of the U.K. and potentially delivering a wet and windy spell, as the week draws to a close.

That's the way the weather looks to be shaping up, for the week ahead, then.

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12

Posted
12 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Wow! Fabulous looking crop.

Might try growing them next year.

Thanks! They are one of the easier crops to grow, they like a fertile soil though with lots of added compost/manure.

I was up early this morning and it was frosty, the temperature dipped to 1C. Nice and sunny day, so far.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Cold and frosty this morning but sunny. A few houses down they were obviously celebrating the fact because I have never heard music as loud as it was this morning, and this family like their music loud. Awful for any one trying to have a lay in. Anyway a road away someone was cooking Breakfast and it smelt like Bacon, so I had to make Bacon rolls and coffee when i got home for myself and coldy hubs. 

Dressed like I did when it was snowing last year, I don't know how people are still wearing thin hoodies and t-shirts. BRRR.

Oh well B'day next month, xmas concert to look forward too (:closedeyes:) and my present should arrive today in with other stuffs. I take no responsibility if buying winter stuffs makes the temperature head up to the 20's again, although you may thank me.