Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

Come on, we can't complain about our summer this year as it's been brilliant up to now.  i for one am glad to see it raining (and with cooler temperatures) again after the past 2 months heat and sun.  I'm not saying i want it to stay that way for months on end now but the recent heat really didn't do much for me and temperatures in the early to mid twenties are far far nicer an easier to handle.  Britain (or rather the British) don't do heatwaves very well.  It's not in our genes :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

The showers are really lining up in streams atm with some places getting minimal rain and others getting a hammering.Looks like Orpington/Locksbottom could be in for a bit more rain in next 10mins.Just had a crack of thunder so think its on its way!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

beddy missing out again.

oh well, there's always chocolate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
6 minutes ago, Dami said:

beddy missing out again.

oh well, there's always chocolate.

i prefer chocolate personally

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

absolutley hammering down again here in Locksbottom!!Temp dropped down to just 15 degrees!!This makes up for all the times we missed the heavy showers in June and July.The garden is loving this rain as it is soaking in nicely

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

i prefer chocolate personally

would just love to hear a bit of thunder. Just a few bangs not asking for the storm massive.

sunny here now.

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
25 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

absolutley hammering down again here in Locksbottom!!Temp dropped down to just 15 degrees!!This makes up for all the times we missed the heavy showers in June and July.The garden is loving this rain as it is soaking in nicely

I meant to reply but cleverly sent a sticky note by mistake - didn't even know that functionality existed! Anyway, I was only thinking that our garden had turned from yellow to mostly green in about 5 days!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

There was a lovely downpour of rain with several rumbles of thunder.  It was an added bonus of having the thunder with the rain.  I am looking forward to more of this type of weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

My back and front garden is still very yellow and I do not know how long it will take to go back to it's natural colour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very interesting convective skies this afternoon, not seen this for a while. Bit cool out, just 18C currently with a very blustery SW’ly blowing. 

320E7F8C-D079-4048-AB30-EDCAD6974C98.jpeg

C4F7861A-5BFD-4C6F-B269-2DE58DDB19F3.jpeg

B03EA823-5BDD-4496-84F3-48631248EC77.jpeg

921BAB2A-CF12-44F8-9641-38446B56386A.jpeg

E20A576C-3981-4D5D-AB91-32B33AB83BB0.jpeg

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Biblical rain right now.

• Like 2

Posted

Cold wet and thoroughly miserable.

The last two days have sadly taken the shine off this summer. 1995 and 1976 has no days as truly awful as these two back to back. Such a shame and so very depressing. Warm and wet is passable. Cold and wet no.

• Like 1

Posted

seems my thunder rain dance has worked. I can hear thunder and the winds got up.

• Like 2

Posted

Incredibly black skies to the east of the Excel centre when we came out at 3pm must have been the back edge of the storms everyone seems to have experienced; I missed out! As @stainesbloke posted, there are some convective looking skies to the south west of London now, fingers crossed for more of the top-up for nature and evening storms for us. And then we can enjoy another round of sunshine:) PS, we were NOT attending the Love Island Live event!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

It has rained from 11am through to 15:00, then bright sun which I missed sitting out in as am defrosting the freezer. Rain started 15 minutes and have two loud thunder rumbles. Not forecasted and unexpected but nice to hear.  Currently sunny and raining. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Yesterday’s and today’s rain has already helped the lawn. Well, a bit anyway.

87718010-DD98-44E5-9BFE-8499393FB212.jpegTaken Sunday 5 August

63DAE35A-4B14-4640-A376-23BDBF97D098.jpegFew minutes ago

Edited by Soaring Hawk
  • Like 3

Posted
53 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

The last two days have sadly taken the shine off this summer. 1995 and 1976 has no days as truly awful as these two back to back. Such a shame and so very depressing. Warm and wet is passable. Cold and wet no.

Really?

Some are never satisfied.

This has been the best summer we've had for many a decade, yet still people have cause to grumble.

Depressing my weeble. Two wet days in months, ha ha.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather

Wow what completely nuts weather! Just driven home from Hastings, bone dry there, get home to absolute chaos, the most torrential rain I’ve seen in a while, the roads flooded, looks like the guttering round the side of the house is knackered and a mini Niagra falls has emerged! Ooh matron what a day! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

A little taster from today and yesterday that UK summer days can throw autumn at you just like that....  

Thankfully our beautiful summer this year has eased the pain of just how crap the past couple of days have been. 

Driving home from work just now through that shower that passed through Bedford - 11c, that’s right 11c.... insulting! 

Only managed 16c today in any sunshine.

Would love the warmth & dry to return - how anyone can prefer this dank over what has been, is beyond me, but as I said before ‘each to their own’ 

The August curse looks to be in full swing...  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C
1 hour ago, Djdazzle said:

Don't let nostalgia fool you, a quick look back of the stats from both 1995 and 1976 at London Heathrow & Gatwick Airport showcase that there were about 4 or 5 days in those summers that were sub 18c and raining during the day. This summer particularly because of the fantastic May still sits alongside those two summers at the moment. 

With that said, I'm really missing being able to be outside like on Monday & Tuesday, now this is only possible with a fleece which is never fun, and you can forget sitting outside when everything is so rain soaked.

Edited by 95 Degrees
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

A little taster from today and yesterday that UK summer days can throw autumn at you just like that....  

Thankfully our beautiful summer this year has eased the pain of just how crap the past couple of days have been. 

Driving home from work just now through that shower that passed through Bedford - 11c, that’s right 11c.... insulting! 

Only managed 16c today in any sunshine.

Would love the warmth & dry to return - how anyone can prefer this dank over what has been, is beyond me, but as I said before ‘each to their own’ 

The August curse looks to be in full swing...  

I love thunderstorms, there has been some interesting weather here over the last 24 hours and some very photogenic skies. Otherwise, am in agreement with you, especially regarding the temperature. Didn’t get as low as 11C here, thankfully, that’s utterly hideous for early August. Should warm up somewhat from tomorrow.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted

Was lovely and sunny this morning, loads of washing dried in the breeze, then 4 hours of fairly heavy rain, no thunder though, then back to sunny for an hour or so and now coming over dark again. Pretty decent day really, but then I like the cooler weather with sunshine and showers.  Just had to take several watering can loads out of the pond as it was close to overflow thanks to the rain of the past several days. 

• Like 2