Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
12 minutes ago, Crepuscular Ray said:

Give it time. Storms from across the Channel often perk up after dusk.

Agreed, however we are limited tonight due to the advancing cold front, the window of opportunity limits us now as it is just a little West of  the IOW.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Being far enough east this is a complete bust! Woops

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, whether or not tonight is a 'bust', I'm going to leave ma windies wide open...Anything to get this hot, humid crap out of my flat!:help:

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Agreed, however we are limited tonight due to the advancing cold front, the window of opportunity limits us now as it is just a little West of  the IOW.

Well I wish it would get a move on! 

• Like 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

The humidity in London this evening is worse than ever,and the sun is shining again. Still 27.5c.

So much for the cool down..

Beeb going for a wet Thursday and Saturday just now so maybe we see some of the wet stuff!

10 minute light / moderate shower here. Seem to be on the northern edge of the heavier stuff in south Essex.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
18 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

But, just like me, you forget all the 'let downs'?

There were plenty of those, of course. Some dreadful summers back then, too. But thunderstorms? Without doubt, they’ve become much less frequent. 

Posted

In a slightly odd way I like this slow burn weather, storms edging in and maybe or maybe not delivering, snow falling then stopping and keeping us wondering, hot weather thinking about it, thinking about it again and then either landing or heading back south.  It's the uncertainty that is part of the drama.  Right now in Reigate for the last 10 minutes it's been raining really heavily and there is the scent of battered lavender, oregano and rosemary in the air, their oils and aromas released by the sudden rain.  Just across the other side of the garden, the tomatoes and chillies grown from seed, ripe and bursting with flavour and heat, are going to get a boost from the rain.  And it's all after dark so is perfect.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Sorry about the wonky line but it was the only map I could find, to make my point. Safe to say, as some models suggested, just an east of Meridian event, and  then only in the south of the region. But a bit too early to call it, a complete bust. With a steering flow from SSW, not enough electrical initiation, west of Cherbourg!!

screen%20shot%202011-02-25%20at%2018.14.21.png

Regards,

Tom. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

There were plenty of those, of course. Some dreadful summers back then, too. But thunderstorms? Without doubt, they’ve become much less frequent. 

I don't know SB...

Last year, I had so many thunderstorms that I'd lost count by the end of July; this year, though, most of the action has either been to the west or to the east of me.

Maybe, the total number of lightning strikes over the whole UK would be a better indication of long-term thundery activity?

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes,the big storms have become less frequent.

However,we all recall the storm of June 22nd 2016, certainly in the London area,raged throughout the night,constant thunder and lightning and 50mm of rain,and that was during a fairly crap spell of weather.

The fact that some folk got up the following morning and voted for Brexit well that's another story!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I don't know SB...

Last year, I had so many thunderstorms that I'd lost count by the end of July; this year, though, most of the action has either been to the west or to the east of me.

Maybe, the total number of lightning strikes over the whole UK would be a better indication of long-term thundery activity?

We had a better year, last year, than for many years. Had that excellent thundery outbreak in April but since then, a brief thundery shower a week or so ago. Considering how warm it has been, I’m amazed. I’ve no idea about the rest of the UK but for this part of the country, compared to the 80’s-90’s, it seems very quiet generally regarding thunderstorms.

• Like 2

Posted

Night all!

I'll go and listen to LBC's Medical Hour and find out what's going to kill me, this week...It'll no' be being struck by lightning - that's for sure!⛈️

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Night all!

I'll go and listen to LBC's Medical Hour and find out what's going to kill me, this week...It'll no' be being struck by lightning - that's for sure!⛈️

Ooooh you should never say that!!

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Yes,the big storms have become less frequent.

However,we all recall the storm of June 22nd 2016, certainly in the London area,raged throughout the night,constant thunder and lightning and 50mm of rain,and that was during a fairly crap spell of weather.

The fact that some folk got up the following morning and voted for Brexit well that's another story!

The less said about Brexshit, the better!

The big storms in the past were generally all imports, MCS’s etc from France. They’ve become very rare. Still get homegrown storms occasionally but they hardly compare.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Night all!

Ooh a fellow LBC fan  Hats off to you 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Dew points continuing to fall west of London. 

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/point-de-rosee.php

And as the Meteociel map depicts, all activity west of Cherbourg, has died off now.

http://www.meteociel.fr/

As sunnijim, points out, the cold front isn't that far west of London, now. Think any thundery potential, for western and central parts of our region, is on it's last legs now.

Quote: "Agreed, however we are limited tonight due to the advancing cold front, the window of opportunity limits us now as it is just a little West of  the IOW".

Regards,

Tom. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Dew points continuing to fall west of London. 

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/point-de-rosee.php

And as the Meteociel map depicts, all activity west of Cherbourg, has died off now.

http://www.meteociel.fr/

As sunnijim, points out, the cold front isn't that far west of London, now. Think any thundery potential, for western and central parts of our region, is on it's last legs now.

Quote: "Agreed, however we are limited tonight due to the advancing cold front, the window of opportunity limits us now as it is just a little West of  the IOW".

Regards,

Tom. 

Seriously heavy rain now in Wimbledon! Very convective though nowt else....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I wondered what happened to the promised thunderstorm and rain which did not materialise.    There were a few spots of rain and that was all.  There was no thunder or lightning. It is a big disappointment but at least there is a better chance of rain on Friday even if there are no thunderstorms.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Very humid today, headache built steadily til storm about 7pm, then rain on/off since. Sky went a very strange colour half an hour ago and headache back...just starting to hear rumbles of thunder again.....

Unfortunately no where near as spectacular as it could have been!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
40 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I don't know SB...

I think I had no more than three last year if that, and at least one was an away storm. However that's two more than this year....

• Like 1

Posted

The rain here is still soft, steady and gentle.  In the last few minutes there's been a gentle hint of a breeze but not enough to deviate the falling rain beyond vertical. the humidity may have just dropped a little.  I could listen all night to the sound the rain is now making, steady and calming, rain after weeks of heat has a restorative and magical quality.  I have loved, truly loved, this hot summer, and I'd be happy for months more.   Doesn't mean to say that there isn't beauty in a storm at the end of a hot spell, a shower out of nothing that evaporates on contact, sea fog rolling in to Pembrokeshire before anyone apart from me can see it and disappearing so that I'm told I'm making things up when I try to describe it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
31 minutes ago, Hurricane Debby said:

Ooh a fellow LBC fan  Hats off to you 

And to you too.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

Sooooo typical.  I have waited all afternoon and evening for a flash of lightning, thunder or just a decent moment of torrential rain....I go into the kitchen (as I have a cheese addiction) and bam, best lightning bolt ever (according to my hubby and children) and now heavy rain.  

• Like 2