Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
9 hours ago, Jimmyh said:

I work hard all year and am praying hard that my holiday to camber sands on the bank holiday weekend is not ruined by peoples desires for rain. Everything in the garden recovers including grass. I was lucky enough to get 2 days last week was wonderful. Sorry but theclast thing i want is rain and neither do i want cool cloudy days. As ben says we get 6-8 months of pointless un useable wet mulch this time it can wait 2 more weeks 

The weather will do what it wants it doesn’t cares about your desires. Rest of month looks nice and pleasant to me I was down that way two weeks ago, and it was actually too hot for me..that’s a first. This Saturday looks like it could be a wet and windy less so for us in southeast, it’s nice to have some variety. No sign of summer being ‘cancelled’ perhaps most pleasant spell of summer weather on way. No need to worry. 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Hubs treated bubs to the cinema yesterday, his work does a family trip every year so all he has to pay for is drinks and snacks. He took bubs as I am ill ( quelle surprise) and some popcorn, two drinks and some pick and mix cost him almost 20 quid. It's disgusting and just proves how greedy folk are and how stupid we are to pay such prices. However we wrote it off as a 'treat' . A belly of popcorn however decided to make a shocking sequel all over hubs car. 

Hopefully tomorrow will give me some thunder.

Posted
2 hours ago, Team Squirrel said:

summer!

1 hour ago, c00ps said:

Indeed - even this year a week in late Feb was remarkable by UK standards and only managed just below freezing during the day for 5 days. I miss my Canadian Rockies winters when snow fell in November and lasted til March. Longest stretch of below zero temperatures I counted was over 100 days. Now that's a cold spell lol.

Sounds like my kind of winter,and I think the summers are nice ,not too hot perfect for golf.Going to retire there I hope ,in the future ☺️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Sunny, light south west wind. 31c so it is hot out there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

This looks much more respectable, low to mid twenties and a bit of rain thrown in for good measure. Working on a roof today was absolutely blistering so I’m happy to see the back of the abnormaly high temperatures ?

65BF001C-CC96-4BB1-B052-4646DF4DEA18.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, SLEETY said:

Sounds like my kind of winter,and I think the summers are nice ,not too hot perfect for golf.Going to retire there I hope ,in the future ☺️

Indeed summers were good (when they were good)very low humidity warm sunny days and cool nights into single digits. Perfect. That’s a good plan. Bring British Canadian I’m gonna do the same

Edited by c00ps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Met Office seem to think that the warmth will last until October....☀️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
2 hours ago, Daniel* said:

The weather will do what it wants it doesn’t cares about your desires. Rest of month looks nice and pleasant to me I was down that way two weeks ago, and it was actually too hot for me..that’s a first. This Saturday looks like it could be a wet and windy less so for us in southeast, it’s nice to have some variety. No sign of summer being ‘cancelled’ perhaps most pleasant spell of summer weather on way. No need to worry. 

I don’t think he stated the weather cares about his desires. 

Just a guy that wants good weather for his holidays who works hard all year. 

@Jimmyh fingers crossed mate that the summer weather makes a return for your Camber Sands trip. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Met Office seem to think that the warmth will last until October....☀️

Let’s hope so... according to BBC it’s back to Atlantic gunk full pelt come Saturday with unusually high winds & rain sweeping across country. 

The next moans will be “my flowers are destroyed” 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!
Just now, Ben Lewis said:

The next moans will be “my flowers are destroyed

Us gardeners will certainly moan, when something we've raised and nurtured gets dried to dust by hot weather, despite our best efforts... I think it's understandable.

If you aren't a gardener, there's no need to knock people who are. we all have our own interests.  I don't like/watch football, but understand that most men do and just let them and the TV sports channels, get on with it ;)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Just wanted to give a quick update to how the 12z runs view the transition from heat, to something much fresher, tomorrow PM.

Will this heatwave recede, with a flash and a bang :shok: , or just a whimper?

AROME:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/arome.php?ech=32&mode=1&map=0

Arome, patently not interested and keeps a thundery breakdown over eastern France and Belgium.

ARPEGE:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpegee_cartes.php?&ech=33&mode=2

Arpege thinking that certainly eastern parts of our region, could see some "fireworks."

EURO4:

Precipitation EURO4 Tu 07.08.2018 21 GMT

12z not out yet. But 06z showed some ppn around our region, especially in the east.

GFS:

gfs-2-36.png?12

Again, GFS suggesting just eastern parts are at risk of seeing some ppn.

.Given the amount of heat forecast to be ahead of the cold front, would  be amazed if none of our region, experienced some lightning and thunder, tomorrow PM.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 5

Posted
11 minutes ago, interested & confused said:

Us gardeners will certainly moan, when something we've raised and nurtured gets dried to dust by hot weather, despite our best efforts... I think it's understandable.

If you aren't a gardener, there's no need to knock people who are. we all have our own interests.  I don't like/watch football, but understand that most men do and just let them and the TV sports channels, get on with it ;)

If you aren’t a outdoor fitness person and my income relies on good weather there’s also no need to knock those of us that love dry and warmth during a UK summer to fit our lifestyle and to those of us that vacation in the UK who deserve good weather.

we are well overdue, it’s not as if it’s common. 

Where as rain and wind is... 

Im sorry to hear about your plants that have dried to dust (looks like they will have a welcome relief this weekend) 

Watch out for the wind Saturday though, BBC going for autumnal low 

Edited by Ben Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Oddly around here there is little sign of drought thanks to thunderstorms on three seperate days last week. Everything is green again which shows how quickly things will recover after we get a bit of rain.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Captain Shortwave said:

Oddly around here there is little sign of drought thanks to thunderstorms on three seperate days last week. Everything is green again which shows how quickly things will recover after we get a bit of rain.

I was thinking the same today, we’ve had rain and actually it’s fairly green around Bedfordshire 

Few days of appreciable rain and it will be like it never happened. 

Nature recovers and will balance out very quickly. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Aye.

I can still remember September/October 1976 - things were so green (or at least it seemed that way, after so many months' persistent drought?) that it was as if we were having a second Spring...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
28 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Let’s hope so... according to BBC it’s back to Atlantic gunk full pelt come Saturday with unusually high winds & rain sweeping across country. 

The next moans will be “my flowers are destroyed” 

Looks like the unsettled weather won’t last long and warmer and sunnier conditions will return soon. With over 3 weeks left of summer, I certainly hope so. The countryside and grass around Salisbury was green this weekend, they must have had a good rain shower recently. Unlike here, no green grass at all. But I’m not bothered, watering the allotment and garden are a chore but am getting a bumper crop of tomatoes, peppers, sweetcorn and cucumbers, with the butternut squash growing like crazy.

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Looks like the unsettled weather won’t last long and warmer and sunnier conditions will return soon. With over 3 weeks left of summer, I certainly hope so. The countryside and grass around Salisbury was green this weekend, they must have had a good rain shower recently. Unlike here, no green grass at all. But I’m not bothered, watering the allotment and garden are a chore but am getting a bumper crop of tomatoes, peppers, sweetcorn and cucumbers, with the butternut squash growing like crazy.

Depends what you regard as warm weather ? The forecast even for later this week is for temperatures between 20-25 with plenty of sun around. Surely that’s warm enough weather to get out and enjoy ? Funnily enough I coach an under 8’s football team and we’ve just had an email from the league saying that the season may have to be put back as most of the pitches are hard & cracked and dangerous to play on. Not all out door activities are benefited by the abnormaly hot & dry conditions. Obviously same can be said for water logged pitch or frozen, I get that !

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, shotski said:

Depends what you regard as warm weather ? The forecast even for later this week is for temperatures between 20-25 with plenty of sun around. Surely that’s warm enough weather to get out and enjoy ? Funnily enough I coach an under 8’s football team and we’ve just had an email from the league saying that the season may have to be put back as most of the pitches are hard & cracked and dangerous to play on. Not all out door activities are benefited by the abnormaly hot & dry conditions. Obviously same can be said for water logged pitch or frozen, I get that !

We participate in abseiling, canoeing, orienteering, general fitness etc. Which all can be undertaken it the usual british crap of course.

But my salary relies on good weather = more money.

This stunning weather has seen a massive increase in my bookings... happy days! 

We have had no problem on our football Sunday games. 

Where do you coach @shotski

• Like 1

Posted

That’s great that your bookings and salary are up, happy days ☀️

Obviously 22 men running around on a Sunday morning is a different kettle of fish to 7 year olds when it comes to welfare. I coach for a club in Leighton Buzzard but can’t  put on here which one. If I get time this week I’ll take some photos of our pitch, you can literally put your hand in some of the cracks. 

Edited by shotski

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Saw this beautiful sight a couple of minutes ago. 

As the saying goes...I saw this and thought of you @Crepuscular Ray 

D7700784-CD8A-46D3-9CED-52B4EE7C13D9.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Aye.

I can still remember September/October 1976 - things were so green (or at least it seemed that way, after so many months' persistent drought?) that it was as if we were having a second Spring...

Does this summer surpass 1976 for sunny warm weather in your experience? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Another beautiful day today , I see the Met are going for highs of 34c tomorrow before a cool down to the weekend . I also see the Met have gone for above average until October , that sounds encouraging for the rest of summer , as long as it flips to below average from late November onwards . Some welcome rain at the weekend although I can’t sya I’m looking forward to it .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45085034

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 3

Posted

However the increase could be just one or two degrees above average temperatures - which are 19C, 16C and 13C for August, September and October respectively.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
14 minutes ago, c00ps said:

Does this summer surpass 1976 for sunny warm weather in your experience? 

I'm nae sure, c00ps. But it's certainly up there with the best. And, given that May was so good, should September turn out be an extension of Summer, then, yes, I think 2018 has every chance of surpassing 1976...?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

My facebook feed filling up with photos of crepuscular rays from around the UK, here's a few I took near Heathrow earlier:

CR_1.jpg

CR_2.jpg

• Like 4