Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Rain really dieing out here now which is good to see. 

Wasnt half as wet as expected. 

Might be able to get a game of football in later on. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
38 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

says who? latest GFS showing highs of 31C next weekend.... ☀️

Says me.... that ok  

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Rain really dieing out here now which is good to see. 

Wasnt half as wet as expected. 

Might be able to get a game of football in later on. 

Call me old school but don’t you play football in the rain ? I wouldn’t call my under 8’s off because of a bit of rain especially in the summer. 

I’d be more inclined to call it off if it was 30 degrees and sunny. 

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, shotski said:

Says me.... that ok  

where's the downgrade for hot weather though? forecasts are saying hot again by next weekend...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
4 minutes ago, shotski said:

Call me old school but don’t you play football in the rain ? I wouldn’t call my under 8’s off because of a bit of rain especially in the summer. 

I’d be more inclined to call it off if it was 30 degrees and sunny. 

Hill sprints and outdoor HIT training was cancelled this morning. 

Football in the rain, of course, it’s just I prefer to play it in the heat and dry. Dodgy leg means less irritation from slipping and sliding. 

I run a class of u15’s not 8 

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

where's the downgrade for hot weather though? forecasts are saying hot again by next weekend...

I think you’ll find I said very hot weather ? Check out the ensemble mean and take a look at the Met office site, 24-25 max. Lovely  

Edited by shotski

Posted
8 minutes ago, shotski said:

I think you’ll find I said really hot weather ? Check out the ensemble mean and take a look at the Met office site, 25-25 max. Lovely  

depends what people consider really hot. anyway, Tomasz Sweatyknackers said possibly back into the 30's by next week.

• Thanks 1

Posted

The ensembles on the mad thread clearly show heat returning by next weekend. Starting off on tuesday incrwaing all the week. I detect a bit of biting in here at the moment. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
39 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Feels and smells autumnal today, looks warmer from tomorrow with summer returning next week. Shouldn’t be too hot and humid, 25-30C, perfect. 

A strange fast forward to October today , lovely autumn colours on Oxshott Heath !! Maybe back to August later in week ...?

09F50D1D-3CA0-4E42-8266-C88DF0345A2F.jpeg

4E12D085-CAE4-4D70-B7FD-1068A66F6D85.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
22 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

depends what people consider really hot. anyway, Tomasz Sweatyknackers said possibly back into the 30's by next week.

i thought his name was shabby knockers:oops:

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

The ensembles on the mad thread clearly show heat returning by next weekend. Starting off on tuesday incrwaing all the week. I detect a bit of biting in here at the moment. 

Forget what the met office say then, if it’s on the “mad thread” it must be correct 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Sadly there has be no more rain, hopefully there will be more rain at 3pm. By 6pm the humidity will increase to 90%.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!

It's been raining nearly all day, sometimes light, sometimes a bit heavier - yet none of the local rain gauges show more than about a mm - perhaps the wind is blowing it about too much  cos we've certainly had enough to get puddles on the paths. 

Could do without the gusty wind though, it is giving everything a good thrashing, considering the trees and plants are already weak from the drought we might get a few casualties :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, lassie23 said:

by saturday it will be sticky again

What will??! Eww

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, Badgers01 said:

A strange fast forward to October today , lovely autumn colours on Oxshott Heath !! Maybe back to August later in week ...?

09F50D1D-3CA0-4E42-8266-C88DF0345A2F.jpeg

4E12D085-CAE4-4D70-B7FD-1068A66F6D85.jpeg

Yes, very autumnal today. The heath looks pretty. Had a roast lunch, definitely the weather for it. Not especially cold here (20C), the rain hasn’t stopped all day, just had varying intensities of it. It’s given the plants a drink. Looks like our region will be enjoying warm sunshine this week, even hot by the weekend.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
On 28/07/2018 at 11:38, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I'm rather concerned about the effects on my health of trying to sleep last night.  Our central hating control has a digital display showing the temperature inside the house, and it was at 30C when we settled down.  In addition, though th external temperature had dropped to 18C, the dew point had been around 95% earlier when I last checked Wunderground.  I was initially unable to sleep, but dozed off for around an hour or so.  When I woke up, the temperature had dropped to 29C, but I felt rather "out of it" and slightly light-headed.  After around 30 minutes laying on top of the bed, I cooled-off enough to sleep for a couple or three hours, but, even now, I have a headache and I'm not thinking clearly.  Could I have experienced heat stroke overnight?

On 28/07/2018 at 11:56, Blazerblue said:

@chrisbell-nottheweatherman If it persists then obviously see a doctor. Don’t over exert yourself, maybe cool water on a cloth on your forehead too to lower body temp.  Overheating to the best of my knowledge won’t leave lasting problems. Drink plenty and take it easy.

@chrisbell-nottheweatherman I hope this reassures you  - I asked my other half (a doctor) as you seemed concerned - that you won’t have suffered neurological damage and it is more likely to have been very mild symptoms of heat exhaustion rather than heat stroke.  

Blazerblue’s advice is spot on and as it warms up again during this week remember especially to drink lots of (non alcoholic) fluids.

I definitely will need to drink more water as I had headaches and light headed episodes too and got told off for not drinking enough! 

I hope you feel better now

Light shower this morning and a fine drizzle for a short time about an hour ago. Was hoping for more rain but seem to be under a giant umbrella here

Edited by Soaring Hawk
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
20 minutes ago, Soaring Hawk said:

@chrisbell-nottheweatherman I hope this reassures you  - I asked my other half (a doctor) as you seemed concerned - that you won’t have suffered neurological damage and it is more likely to have been very mild symptoms of heat exhaustion rather than heat stroke.  

Blazerblue’s advice is spot on and as it warms up again during this week remember especially to drink lots of (non alcoholic) fluids.

I definitely will need to drink more water as I had headaches and light headed episodes too and got told off for not drinking enough! 

Light shower this morning and a fine drizzle for a short time about an hour ago. Was hoping for more rain but seem to be under a giant umbrella here

Thanks SH - I have anxiety which usually manifests as health anxiety (what used to be called hypochondria), and I therefore tend to catastrophise if I feel unwell or am concerned about symptoms.  I'm seeing a therapist at the moment and have had CBT in the past which has helped me eliminate the more outlandish worries, but some situations still concern me, I'm afraid.

Anyway, back to our regional weather - if UEA's weather station on Wunderground is accurate, we've had just under an inch of rain here which, after what we had on Friday evening, has refilled our rainwater collection butts, topped-up our wildlife pond (sounds rather more impressive than it is LOL) and damped-down the dust.  I seem to have developed a reputation on here recently as a moaner regarding warm weather; in fact the Met Office forecast for the region over the next 4-5 days sounds very pleasant - sunny and warm summer weather without the extreme of heat and humidity of last week.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, Soaring Hawk said:

Very kind of you  

Just had a walk in my local park and there’s puddles all over it, seems the hard baked ground is taking its time to absorb the moisture. Glad the rain wasn’t too heavy as there would have been floods.

Posted
6 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Thanks SH - I have anxiety which usually manifests as health anxiety (what used to be called hypochondria), and I therefore tend to catastrophise if I feel unwell or am concerned about symptoms.  I'm seeing a therapist at the moment and have had CBT in the past which has helped me eliminate the more outlandish worries, but some situations still concern me, I'm afraid.

Anyway, back to our regional weather - if UEA's weather station on Wunderground is accurate, we've had just under an inch of rain here which, after what we had on Friday evening, has refilled our rainwater collection butts, topped-up our wildlife pond (sounds rather more impressive than it is LOL) and damped-down the dust.  I seem to have developed a reputation on here recently as a moaner regarding warm weather; in fact the Met Office forecast for the region over the next 4-5 days sounds very pleasant - sunny and warm summer weather without the extreme of heat and humidity of last week.

Hopefully your anxiety is lessening now, with the few days of cooler weather. It can’t be easy dealing with that condition. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 hours ago, shotski said:

Forget what the met office say then, if it’s on the “mad thread” it must be correct 

Fine but gfs and ecm this morning bith showed heat returning. So i was quoting what i saw from tfe ensembles posted. I think its open to interpretation, but i dont take the met office as gospel i go for both

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
14 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

You are most welcome. I sensed there was anxiety in your post so broke a self imposed rule and asked for physical symptomatic input on how to phrase my reply. (My clinical background is mental health, not the medicine that he deals with).  I hope the therapy helps build on the CBT and understand how easy it is to feel concern with anxiety issues. It’s hard for those who have never experienced anxiety to understand just how challenging it can be to understand what can be an exhausting and debilitating condition and find coping mechanisms to deal with it, so congratulations with the progress you’ve made and I’ll bet your openness helps others too. 

Wow your rain outcomes sound impressive to me! The only noticeable difference here is that the bird bath hasn't evaporated since refilling it on Friday. Refilling has been a daily ritual lately. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Jimmyh said:

Now even the met office is going for a heat up now wow

Read my original post. I said no very hot weather, like weve just had, over 30 degrees.