Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
3 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

If I were him, I’d do a Phil Avery and quit. They clearly have no input into the forecasts. To not even give more details by saying temps could be somewhere between two values, depending on storms?

Yes odd, what model do they derive their temps from?

Posted

Evening all,

Gorgeous evening down here in Folky, breeze coming off the channel - absolutely beautiful. 

Need a breakdown though, I do however have a gig tomorrow evening in Thanet, so am in two minds what I want. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

2 main UK media weather sources going for 29c and the other 37c for tomorrow in the same areas. 

Thats quite a difference. I wonder who will be right 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
1 hour ago, Surrey said:

Quite the opposite, as the fronts slowly make there way over and mix with the heat hey presto storms.

It is really good to see so much activity breaking out to our west and south already..Was not really expecting this as most of the the high res models I have been posting don't have anything breaking out till earliest 9pm.

Slowly that line out west will make eastward movment expect more thunderstorms to break out as the evening goes on with the greatest risk midnight on wards..

As ever though some will miss out some will get a deluge .. 

Area in red most at risk tonight 

storms.thumb.jpg.2e729efa1d035bb430b3d6c61fa26bf9.jpg

After 3.5 hours sleep last night, driving to Norwich (29.5c at Baldock 10:15; 33.5c as I drove north on A11 towards Thetford at 11.15 but lower at 32.5 once I got to outskirts of Norwich. That coincided with a brisk breeze for which I was truly grateful. Left my car with son (it’s his now ) and sampled the hell of a very delayed train with NO air conditioning from Norwich to Cambridge, except it terminated at Ely because the announcer said “it is a very, very poorly train”.  I rather suspected he’d then muttered something about ‘it was fuc**d’.  Or that may have been just the voices in my head by then. 

Train to Cambridge was at least cool but managed to be slow enough to miss train from there to my nearest town. The next one was, unsurprisingly, cancelled.. Waiting for almost an hour squeezed on hideously overcrowded boiling platform, as at least 6 trains had either been cancelled or had broken down, with cross, sweaty crowds and suddenly realised was having murderous thoughts towards people, young people who can cope with extreme temperatures, that continue to claim this summer heat is great, fantastic etc. 

Finally, nearly 5 hours after I started idiotic idea of using public transport on hottest day, arrive home to my oven of a Devil designed house in Hell, with garden shade temperature still at 31c :shok: (sunny here) and find that we are likely to get blasted thunderstorms, strategically timed to ensure no one in that red area sleeps tonight.  Dehydrated, headache, swollen feet and dizzy. God. Where’s the gin....

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

No idea!

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think they use ECM data as well as others, sure I read that somewhere.

Posted

It was 33oC here at 7:30pm! Crazy hot  

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

2 main UK media weather sources going for 29c and the other 37c for tomorrow in the same areas. 

Thats quite a difference. I wonder who will be right 

Well it won’t be the BBC!  Can’t see any support for their outcome, unless it chucks it down pretty much all day. Which it won’t.

The Meto forecast with Alex Deakin mentioned some uncertainty due to not knowing where storms may form, but also ssid that the temps could be shown. Good to see a pro forecaster being allowed to use his knowledge rather than Shafernacker who doubtless had zero input into his forecast.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
28 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

so much for low solar activity

It's a load of rowlocks!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Yep the Metoffice have tweeted 37c again in the last 30 mins so obviously at odds with the Beeb. Judging by this chart we are looking at East Anglia hitting this high temperature.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1022558382845321217?s=20

Edited by Mark wheeler

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

It was still 31c at around 4pm but tempered with a very blustery onshore breeze - I found it quite easy to deal with a large diseased shrub around 2pm without melting! 

• Like 1

Posted

37c for EA tomorrow 

32c- 34c around the London area. 

Posted

Beautiful late afternoon and evening now that pesky mid-level cloud has disappeared and just a few cirrus line the sky; feels more like an evening on the Med. Happy for a cooler spell - difficult to work at home with no air con and the added temptation to get outside and make the most of the amazing weather.

On a literary note, heatwaves always have me reaching for The Go-Between, a fabulous novel written in 1953 and set in the UK summer of 1900 about a young boy in love with the heatwave who, for those of you who haven't read it, is desperate to see temperature reach 100°F. Can only assume that LP Hartley, who wrote it, must have been something of a weather obsessive, so interesting to see that it's East Anglia, where The Go-Between is set, will probably get closest to 100°F tomorrow.

Edited by Mac_SE
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Source?

Metoffice 

one of their forecasts going for things heating up in Far East. 

Been the case for a couple days now

Edited by Ben Lewis
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It was still 30C here at 8pm, a very warm evening and it is going to be a tough job to cool things down.

36/37C still looks possible tomorrow if the sun stays out. I feel I am a little to far west for the extreme heat though the metoffice forecast did have 36C over the Cambridge/Peterborough area. 

Even with temperatures of 25/26C possible over the weekend it will feel quite chilly after the last few days and of course tomorrow.

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
2 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Got my 16 year old down with heat stroke, now, and she's not even been out in the sun. She has been in all day. Got her lying down with a drink monitoring her, incase she gets worse. She's borderline anorexic, and will only drink juice, never water on it's own. That's probably why she's feeling a bit off. Really need a cooler day tomorrow. 

Don't really know what else to do, the house is so hot, and still got the sun heating it.

Oh love I hope she feels better soon... Very best wishes to you x

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Met Office tweeting Wisley as today’s high with 35.1C.

Sod that...Let the cooler air win!❄️:D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Does anyone know what time tonight the thunderstorms are going to develop across East Anglia? I'm just too excited 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sidsnake said:

Oh love I hope she feels better soon... Very best wishes to you x

I must admit that I was one of those teenage scrotes what set fire to hedges, down by the viaduct, in June 1970...But we did put them all out -Thank flock!

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, zakarias285 said:

Does anyone know what time tonight the thunderstorms are going to develop across East Anglia? I'm just too excited 

They’re not! Any storms expected further west.