Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 hour ago, tomp456 said:

An absolute furnace outside, and its less than 5 months until Christmas Day. Best get them trees up in the shops ASAP! 

I agree!!

Edited by West Sussex Kate

Posted

I think tomorrow there is a good chance of 37 if a spot has sun all day, thats a big if.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Im with you all the way SR. Ridiculous heat and if you feel like moaning,moan away,theres plenty on here feel the same! About to get on Central Line so god knows how hot its going to be on there.

Surely its only a matter of time before the Atlantic gets its act together and sends us some good old fashioned wild weather. Bliss!!!! Autumn just aroind the corner......

Don't panic, we live in a temperate climate evidenced by recent horror show summers where June, July and particularly August have been grey, cool and very soggy. I'm sure our normal summer weather of 'two fine days and a thunderstorm' will be back next year.

Edited by Mac_SE
  • Like 1

Posted

And when Autumn comes  with rain and wind,people be wishing it was summer like this year  

Edited by SLEETY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Showers never made it this far east; I'm not expecting anything now before tomorrow evening and suspect the fronts will fade before they get here against this wall of high pressure and searing heat.  I find myself wondering whether anything except seasonal change will bring us rain or cool weather.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Showers never made it this far east; I'm not expecting anything now before tomorrow evening and suspect the fronts will fade before they get here against this wall of high pressure and searing heat.  I find myself wondering whether anything except seasonal change will bring us rain or cool weather.

Quite the opposite, as the fronts slowly make there way over and mix with the heat hey presto storms.

It is really good to see so much activity breaking out to our west and south already..Was not really expecting this as most of the the high res models I have been posting don't have anything breaking out till earliest 9pm.

Slowly that line out west will make eastward movment expect more thunderstorms to break out as the evening goes on with the greatest risk midnight on wards..

As ever though some will miss out some will get a deluge .. 

Area in red most at risk tonight 

storms.thumb.jpg.2e729efa1d035bb430b3d6c61fa26bf9.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
10 minutes ago, Mac_SE said:

Don't panic, we live in a temperate climate evidenced by recent horror show summers where June, July and particularly August have been grey, cool and very soggy. I'm sure our normal summer weather of 'two fine days and a thunderstorm' will be back next year.

So true. 

The media hype claiming that summers will be hot with 38c the norm makes me cringe. 

You watch next summer will be a total wash out.

The media like to bang about comparing this to 1976 - (42 years it’s taken to see a prolonged dry spell) and yet we are now going to face this every year apparently. 

Laugable! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
26 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Im with you all the way SR. Ridiculous heat and if you feel like moaning,moan away,theres plenty on here feel the same! About to get on Central Line so god knows how hot its going to be on there.

Surely its only a matter of time before the Atlantic gets its act together and sends us some good old fashioned wild weather. Bliss!!!! Autumn just aroind the corner......

I'm rather worried about what the bay of Biscay may throw at us later this year, with all the heat that's built up in that body of water this year. It did form a hurricane type storm a few years back, that went south. May do similar but head in this direction for all we know. Would give it more building time too, channel water is not all that cold this year.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Quite the opposite, as the fronts slowly make there way over and mix with the heat hey presto storms.

It is really good to see so much activity breaking out to our west and south already..Was not really expecting this as most of the the high res models I have been posting don't have anything breaking out till earliest 9pm.

Slowly that line out west will make eastward movment expect more thunderstorms to break out as the evening goes on with the greatest risk midnight on wards..

As ever though some will miss out some will get a deluge .. 

Area in red most at risk tonight 

storms.thumb.jpg.2e729efa1d035bb430b3d6c61fa26bf9.jpg

With respect, you've just proven my point for me; not only is your risk area well to the south of here, it's also well to the west.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
Correcting typo.

Posted
Just now, Surrey said:

Right but there is always tomorrow and Friday night and Saturday.. 

I rather doubt I'll see anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Right tonight there is the risk of pulse storms breaking out across the west of the region. These will be elevated in nature. There looks to be a clear slot during the morning before showers break out in the west in a similar manner to today, these will become more widespread and elevated as the cold front pushes eastwards. The key to the highest temperatures is keeping skies clear(ish) for as long as possible.

Posted

Stopped at Ringwood en route to Bournemouth. Rain drops (a handful), a rumble of thunder and 23 degrees on car temp which showed 37 when we left Surbiton

Edited by Reefseeker

Posted

Weather station in garden says 33.8c here this afternoon. Hottest recorded on it since I got it in 2012 and second warmest day I’ve ever experienced in the UK 

3 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Right tonight there is the risk of pulse storms breaking out across the west of the region. These will be elevated in nature. There looks to be a clear slot during the morning before showers break out in the west in a similar manner to today, these will become more widespread and elevated as the cold front pushes eastwards. The key to the highest temperatures is keeping skies clear(ish) for as long as possible.

Im just not sure now those showers look like breaking out west very early.. The "Lull" is very evident in the models but it does not last long.. 

arpegeuk-1-10-0.png?26-18 arpegeuk-1-12-0.png?26-18arpegeuk-1-14-0.png?26-18arpegeuk-1-16-0.png?26-18arpegeuk-1-18-0.png?26-18

Not sure why images are all strange.. 

Edited by Surrey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Hottest day so far for me. Looking forward to a bit of a cool down over the weekend

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

According to the Met Office, it will be very unlikely that Thurrock will get any rain tomorrow night, as earlier on it had 70% chance of rain and that has halved in the past 4 hours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
5 minutes ago, shotski said:

Hottest day so far for me. Looking forward to a bit of a cool down over the weekend

Indeed, same here 34.2c and need rain.

Just had a Cobra meeting, took one out of the fridge, lid off and ready for some storm action on Friday's day off.

Bring on the cool...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!
3 minutes ago, Katrine Basso said:

According to the Met Office, it will be very unlikely that Thurrock will get any rain tomorrow night, as earlier on it had 70% chance of rain and that has halved in the past 4 hours.

Our odds are going down as well :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
27 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Im just not sure now those showers look like breaking out west very early.. The "Lull" is very evident in the models but it does not last long.. 

London south from what I have seen probably has a chance of staying dry tomorrow, the overnight storms will tend to fade which is consistent with a lot of mornings where there has been a lot of mid-level cloud drifting north which tends to melt away after sunrise. Convection looks surface based during the afternoon with Cambridgeshire/Northamptonshire northwards being where storms will fire up (I am right in the middle of the metoffice warning). 

South and east of this region look like being quite dry until the evening when the front will likely initialise some elevated thunderstorms. The east has the potential to get very hot as skies will probably be quite clear for a good part of the day, it is just a case for the highest temperatures of whether there will be too much modificaion of the heat from area onshore element to the breeze.

Going for 35/36C close to Norwich, probably around 33C for my location and probably reached quite early in the afternoon.

A sunny and absutely steaming evening developing now ad the cloud clears. Still 33c!!!

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Got my 16 year old down with heat stroke, now, and she's not even been out in the sun. She has been in all day. Got her lying down with a drink monitoring her, incase she gets worse. She's borderline anorexic, and will only drink juice, never water on it's own. That's probably why she's feeling a bit off. Really need a cooler day tomorrow. 

Don't really know what else to do, the house is so hot, and still got the sun heating it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Clear skies in beddy . didn't want any storms any how.