Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
11 hours ago, Tilly said:

I feel ya Dami! I did see your other post and had to post my agreement on this 

Worryingly, something I have never seen before is happening outside my door. The trees in the park are losing their leaves. I’m guessing this is from lack of water. I’ve never seen this before, it’s July yet looking like Autumn out there. It’s going to be a strange Autumn if there’s hardly any leaves on the ground as they’ve lost them already! 

Just a natural reaction to abnormal dry weather. Dump excess leaves and it helps tree to go into a semi hibernation. 

If I have a very luxuriant plant and it is flagging I cut it right back so leaf cover is reduced. It then tends to sprout like mad when it grows on in better condition.

In the future if you did a trunk core it may show a smaller growth ring than usual. 

Must admit it seems strange to have an early Autumn. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Everyone loves a bit of summer heat just like everyone loves a decent cold and snowy spell, it’s what makes our weather great. 

Its when the weather gets stuck in an excessive pattern, be it rain, cold or heat , and starts to affect people’s lives it becomes a problem. Personally I’ve got no real problem with the current heat apart from finding it very hard and draining working out in it everyday but I have no health issues. 

Lets hope for more decent sunny weather but hopefully interspersed by some cooler rainy spells

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun
1 hour ago, Snipper said:

Just a natural reaction to abnormal dry weather. Dump excess leaves and it helps tree to go into a semi hibernation. 

If I have a very luxuriant plant and it is flagging I cut it right back so leaf cover is reduced. It then tends to sprout like mad when it grows on in better condition.

In the future if you did a trunk core it may show a smaller growth ring than usual. 

Must admit it seems strange to have an early Autumn. 

Thank you. I didn’t know that, every day is a school day ha! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
2 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Oh look the cloud has broken up just in time for the evening. Made it to 25c but rather disappointing.

Still if the cloud melts away then clear skies will deliver the hottest day of the year tomorrow.

Pretty much SNAP here in Bedfordshire 

Thick cloud cover all day that finally broke at 17:30. 

Just felt like a pleasant bog standard UK summer day. Cloudy and comfortable. 

Wont hold my breath for tomorrow, cloud cover seems the order of the days contuary to the appalling TV forecasts. 

Posted

Looks like Pershore was the hot spot today at 30c. The next few days appear warm with highs of 29-31c, perhaps a tad more in the usual areas.  Whilst this summer has been warm and very dry we have been without extremes. Let’s hope for a southerly from a baked Spain. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
7 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Pretty much SNAP here in Bedfordshire 

Thick cloud cover all day that finally broke at 17:30. 

Just felt like a pleasant bog standard UK summer day. Cloudy and comfortable. 

Wont hold my breath for tomorrow, cloud cover seems the order of the days contuary to the appalling TV forecasts. 

If it is clear to start the day then tomorrow is going to be hot. The Arpege is insistent on temperatures pushing to 90f and beyond.

arpegeuk-41-27-0.png?22-18

I think this will come off, actually this model was spot on today with temperatures (25-29C but rather scattered around due to cloud cover). I think some cumulus could build up but otherwise good sunny spells. Low cloud doesn't look likely on Tuesday and Wednesday as there appears to be enough instability to squeeze out a couple of showers and then we see winds veer southerly which should prevent cloud building up.

Posted

Summer 2018 you can disappear now, thanks, you're getting boring.

Hopefully we'll get a breakdown where the rain & storms last as long as the last few boring weeks. Either that or 2 months of snow in winter!

• Like 1

Posted

This is not condusive to sleeping when u have sleep apnea.... 

Posted
5 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Are you sure Yamkin, highest max I can see is 29c

Quite sure. I doubled checked my station and there was no direct sun rays at the time. Only lasted an hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Beautiful sunny, blue sky start here. Much better than the gloom of the weekend. 

Possibly up to 30c today.... what a summer! Long may it continue 

2 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Beautiful sunny, blue sky start here. Much better than the gloom of the weekend. 

Possibly up to 30c today.... what a summer! Long may it continue 

Met going for 32c somewhere today and even hotter as the week goes on.. 

Infact GFS goes for a temperature between midnight and 6am on Friday morning no lower than 23c add the usual 2c and London won't fall below 25c sweatyyyyy 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

23C already. Blimey.

Posted

Working all week making chips for a chippy - it's our towns Regatta Carnival week. Crowds have already been immense this weekend, Deal beach has seemed positively tropical at times. Wish me luck folks, the yard is a sun trap

Posted

Showing 24 here in london bridge and the horrendous south eastern no air con... every day this week is potentially above 30 degrees. Thats between 5 an 7 days above 30 wow. This is gonna go down in the books as a great summer. I just had a feeling the ssw was goong to knock everything out of kilter this summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Even here on the coast its showing at 23c at 8am.

Its to much, kids are moaning bedrooms are to hot and cant sleep.

Have air con for downstairs lounge and when you go upstairs its horrendously hot.

Bring back that sea breeze that has made this summer so wonderful up till now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Another sunny morning, 21 °C , UV index is 3, Air pollution 3 and the pollen is low. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Amazing start to the day here , gin clear skies already upto 23c if it stays like this 32c might be achieved which for me is always the mark of notable heat ...

Posted
30 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

Showing 24 here in london bridge and the horrendous south eastern no air con... every day this week is potentially above 30 degrees. Thats between 5 an 7 days above 30 wow. This is gonna go down in the books as a great summer. I just had a feeling the ssw was goong to knock everything out of kilter this summer

Question is will it keep going for the winter and knock that on its head so we have continental influence all winter....I wish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
13 hours ago, shotski said:

Everyone loves a bit of summer heat just like everyone loves a decent cold and snowy spell, it’s what makes our weather great. 

Its when the weather gets stuck in an excessive pattern, be it rain, cold or heat , and starts to affect people’s lives it becomes a problem. Personally I’ve got no real problem with the current heat apart from finding it very hard and draining working out in it everyday but I have no health issues. 

Lets hope for more decent sunny weather but hopefully interspersed by some cooler rainy spells

You make a valid point, in many recent years weather patterns seem to have been stuck for a few months at a time. Our climate was always notable for it’s variability, with the same weather type very rarely lasting long. I have no idea why this is happening. Must say that I’m loving this summer though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Global warming...we haven't had a poorish summer since the Olympic one in 2012 and by the British Isles standards that's eye opening. Looking at synoptics over recent summers continental heat has never been far away even in more unsettled periods with the south and south east continentally affected at times (June 2017 and later in August). The building blocks seem to be there in most springs to create heat, the first sign is higher than normal pressure over Scandinavia and that coupled with higher latitude pressure as we're experiencing this summer.

Can only see it continuing in years to come.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

W-2-W sunshine and already 25.8C...It's going to be a hot one!