Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations

Just started raining here. And i can hear very distant thunder.

Posted
1 hour ago, James Gold said:

Looks like I’m going to miss these ones from the south :(

yep london storm shield is up and running... love to know whats causing these storms to be active crossing the channel , break up once hit land, then reform again once north of london.. strange one

Posted

The London storm shield that was breached Saturday, Monday & Tuesday?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
1 minute ago, nanu said:

yep london storm shield is up and running... love to know whats causing these storms to be active crossing the channel , break up once hit land, then reform again once north of london.. strange one

I wouldn’t worry to much. 

Your not missing much, bog standard rain with thunder every 2 minutes. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Jason H said:

The London storm shield that was breached Saturday, Monday & Tuesday?

i know that but, i would love to know from someone a bit more of an expert than me as to whats causing that gap of nothing from south coast to london?

Posted

In Dorking and have just heard a distant rumble of thunder. We had tropical rain showers about an hour. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I wish the weather would make it's mind up...It's either clammy, dull and grotty, or it's unbroken sunshine...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

got some light rain. go me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I'm gonna go ahead and call it a bust for my area.

• Like 1

Posted

Thankfully the worst of the downpours missed here. Only half hour of moderate rain. 

Everything out west, they can have it. Ground can’t take anymore rain here and we need a few days of drying out, hopefully the next 3/4 days will deliver that. With fairly fine weather forecast.

I want my morning runs and dog walks back without having to contend mud and bogged ground. 

• Like 1

Posted

Blue sky and late evening sunshine here in Coulsdon.  Very muggy though. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bazza118 said:

Blue sky and late evening sunshine here in Coulsdon.  Very muggy though. 

Yep blue sky moving overhead here. 

Nice 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,snow+gales

Sunny for a bit this evening but back to dull grey low level cloud again just for a change.Just my opionion but what dreadful forecasting

The supposedly professionals have spouted the last day or two,thunderstorms,hail etc what a flippin joke.

Edited by Paul1968
Typo

Posted

Oh dear, the fog's coming down again!

Posted
1 hour ago, Paul1968 said:

Sunny for a bit this evening but back to dull grey low level cloud again just for a change.Just my opionion but what dreadful forecasting

The supposedly professionals have spouted the last day or two,thunderstorms,hail etc what a flippin joke.

Yes,totally agree.

Good job they are not forecasting in parts of the world where severe weather is a matter of life or death.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Absolutely freezing. Grey and clammy. I'd rather have snow...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Made it up to 23C this afternoon and it did feel warm when the sun came out. No real sign of storms developing throughout with the morning low cloud just replaced by some high towerng cumulus. The low cloud has rolled back in now though.

Looking at the surface pattern it is amazing how somehow despite this low drifting up from France somehow the surface flow has remained north easterly and will continue to do so until this low clear north and pressure rises from the south when finally we will get an offshore wind. The next few days looks drier and sunnier though once the mist/low cloud breaks up tomorrow.

arpegeuk-41-26-0.png?31-18   arpegeuk-41-50-0.png?31-18   arpegeuk-41-74-0.png?31-19

Look where the warmest places are for instance. Other models agree with either London or eastern parts of East Anglia being the warm spots for the next couple of days. There are still the risk of showers or thunderstorms over the coming days but well scattered.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Loving this fog , what a grim start yet again. No let up in this dreadful Norfolk weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Foggy here too this morning. Quite warm though at 16C. My old weather book says fog in summer means a heatwave is on the way.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Up early with the missus, before she went off to work at 6.30, for a 12 hour shift, at a Care Home in Chislehurst, bless her!!

As someone with Brontophobic tendencies, really felt like  I "dodged a bullet", yesterday!! Couldn't believe we ended up having a  thunder free, day!!

With sferics popping off to our south and east, around this time yesterday  morning, felt sure we were going to have  some thundery rain, at least.  Missing that, with such high humidity, felt it was sure to go "bang", during the afternoon but managed to miss that as well and from a selfish pov, was pleased about that too!!

I stated yesterday,re the very high Dew Points we've been experiencing, they've been up to 16/17c, here in S.E.London, very unusual for this time  of year, in this area. Not surprising we've had all this thundery weather.

Since I've been up, have been watching that huge M.C.S.(I certainly think it's one), over Belgium/Germany, safe in the knowledge it's not coming this way!! Sorry Brontophiles!!

We certainly seem to be stuck in a rut at the moment, with this long lasting sluggish, weather pattern. You hear in the Summer a lot, the oft quoted adage, three fine days and a thunderstorm but although it has only been late Spring, the atmosphere has failed to "freshen up", which is normally the case, after a thundery breakdown, in the Summer. I read on a thread, the other day, someone had a theory that this continued spell of blocking to our north, was a legacy of that very potent S.S.W., back in January but I really don't have the technical knowledge, to comment on that.

And looking at the models this morning, this mostly fine, warm spell, looks like continuing for the first half of June. Models and Meto further outlooks have "hinted" at it becoming more unsettled, towards mid-June.

Should this come to pass, I wonder which daily newspaper will use a phrased headline, on the grounds of, "Pest from the West about to ruin Summer". My money's on Nathan Rao and the Daily Express, what say you?

After my stroke, I still get very fatigued and from a selfish pov, hope we don't have a very warm, thundery Summer. I did have the foresight, a few days ago to switch our lounge and bedroom fans around. The expensive, more efficient fan, now sits in the bedrrom and has certainly made the last few nights, much more comfortable. I bought it from Argos a few years ago, for £75, quite expensive but certainly money well spent and the most efficient fan I've ever had. The £20 Sainsbury's chap, now sits in the lounge. As you know, hot air rises and it certainly has in our "dolls house" sized bedroom. As those of you who live in the London area, know only too well, during very warm weather, our nights can become very uncomfortable!!

So where do we go from here, your guess is as good as mine but from my own pov, I really hope it's not a very warm, long steamy Summer, for the reasons, I've given above.

I actually typed the first half of that post left handed, as part of my "post-stroke" therapy, found it really hard, too!! Had a sock on my dominant right hand, felt like a glove puppet!!

Anyway, enough waffling from me. Hope you all enjoy your day, Brontophiles and Brontophobes, alike!!

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Just wanted to mention another passion of mine, horse-racing but it is weather related!!

Today sees the running of the second fillies classic, The Oaks and will be run at Epsom Downs, in Surrey, this afternoon.The equivalent day last year, was June 2nd. Just as the fillies were about to enter the stalls a thunderstorm erupted over the course. I vividly remembering watching it on tv, there was a huge bolt of lightning and an almighty, crash of thunder and understandably some of the fillies were quite "spooked". Don't think we'll get a repeat performance today, mind. 

Regards,

Tom.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

Just wanted to mention another passion of mine, horse-racing but it is weather related!!

Today sees the running of the second fillies classic, The Oaks and will be run at Epsom Downs, in Surrey, this afternoon.The equivalent day last year, was June 2nd. Just as the fillies were about to enter the stalls a thunderstorm erupted over the course. I vividly remembering watching it on tv, there was a huge bolt of lightning and an almighty, crash of thunder and understandably some of the fillies were quite "spooked". Don't think we'll get a repeat performance today, mind. 

Regards,

Tom.

Hello Tom.

Very well done with your other post by the way. It could not have been easy.

Epsom brings back memories for me as before I retired the consultancy I worked for had their head office at Epsom. In fact they designed the main grandstand. We often used to hire out space there for meetings.

As far as racing is concerned I live about 4 miles from the Chelmsford City Race Course and I can confirm that no fillies (equine or otherwise) were "spooked" at yesterday's meeting there.

In spite of severe storms being forecast we had nothing at all.

This morning has up until now been dull, grey and misty but feeling mild (car thermometer reading 18C.) but the sun is now attempting  to poke it's head through the crud.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Posted

And another day of never-ending gloom and grot has arrived.