Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
4 hours ago, Team Squirrel said:

The rumble and strobing is constant with occasional shotgun, longest, noisiest storm in years...and my partner is managing to sleep like a baby though this!!! How does he do it????

There is no let up here at all. Torrential rain now.

To be fair it wasn't that noisy just a lot of constant rumbles. Not one shotgun thunder heard here just down the road but some fantastic IC forks seen, which was great

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations

That was an impressive storm that lasted a good few hours. Reminded me of the good old 80s night time storms. 

Just constant lightning and constant deep rumbles of thunder. My son who is 12 loves storms and was shocked at the amount of lightning lol 

• Like 3

Posted

It was great and every part of it was reminiscent of the 80's. Night time with some crashy booms and forks amongst the strobing which lasted a few hours. pure joy! Let's have some more please :) all summer please :) lol

• Like 2

Posted
38 minutes ago, Mr Snowy said:

Did i sleep though a decent storm ? Or did just miss me and not even wet outside.

Wondering the same here, been up all night here in Chelmsford and it's bone dry and not a single rumble of thunder heard, in fact I wouldn't have known there were any storms at all the past few hours if I hadn't of read this thread lol

Edited by Mustang

Posted

So my 1 yr old slept through all the storms but step on a creaky floorboard and she’s wide awake lol. Cracking storms here in north Kent. The hail was crazy 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

What a beaut of a storm that was,hoping for round 2 tonight

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Morning all. Only thing that woke me was...  Yes....the wind . A real reminder of the 80s, 1987 to be precise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Sunny yesterday, a stunning light show overnight and have woken up this morning to more sunshine.

This weekend isn't going too badly is it. :)

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Omg I can’t believe what I missed stuck up here in Yorkshire. (I’m on holiday so shouldn’t complain too much) The videos from last night are amazing! 

Posted

I was under the impression that today was the best chance down here, looking at the latest forecasts it would appear not, looks like things have changed.

Posted

Well what a great nite last the lightning was awesome 

Posted

Estofex have a level 2 out for a lot of southern UK today through until tomorrow morning. I still think we are in with the potential for further 'thundery showers' but I'd be surprised if we see a more active system pass through than that of last night! Working in the catering industry, I can assure you bank holiday weekends are the busiest and I only managed to get five minutes storm watching last night before I packed it in and went to bed. Boo! Would welcome another storm in the early afternoon today, even just to give me working relief! Too humid!

Hope everyone enjoyed some popcorn lightning anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

I have now moved to East Midlands and sat looking at Blitzortung last night feeling incredibly jealous of the storms, though not of the heat. 

To be fair, doggy would have been beside himself and I would have had no sleep.

Anyhow, I'll bigger back off to the Midlands forum now. Have a great Bank Holiday!

Posted

Someone on my community FB page wrote "The world is coming to an end!". Certainly felt like it in the Wycombe valleys last night!!

I wonder how accurate a strike on lightningmaps is? If so, nearest strike was across the road and there were 5 or 6 strikes in the valley but I'm guessing the dots on the map are an estimate?

Can't remember the last time a storm made glad I was indoors, just hope that hard rain hasn't flattened my seedings.

What a night. What will today bring?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

That was quite some night, although the storms veered off west before reaching me (Suffolk). Apparently 15,000 strikes in the SE and 50,000 over Southern Britain. This morning's video tweet from Matt Taylor shows how it all developed. https://twitter.com/MetMattTaylor/status/1000601260503064576

Here's a couple of stills from the video showing the evening and overnight:

1819596363_Matttweetstorms1.thumb.jpg.e6071fdf36b48bb85c0b95034fd33b55.jpg123846421_Matttweetstorms2.thumb.jpg.2962277e11c0148d1cf5c80ed2bc715c.jpg

I thought it was a good forecast from Convective Weather yesterday. Here's their forecast from the morning and then shown again with the actual strikes marked:

101694838_ConvectiveOutlookSat26May.thumb.jpg.a1c487a628c0073d8ddff8c2a4eaaa68.jpg2034407052_ConvectiveOutlookSat26Mayactual.thumb.jpg.2ff71ba99654a11734f2bd8189f73c6a.jpg

An explanation of their probability percentages: 638617296_ConvectiveOutlookProbabilityTable.thumb.jpg.dad502ac869b2062bd03ae7d2fadcb34.jpg

And here's their forecast for today. I've shown the NMM CAPE & Lifted Index for 15.00 alongside which shows a good deal of instability developing this afternoon. But it's worth reading the Convective Weather analysis which explains the limiting factors at play, indicating less widespread and more scattered storms today.

855260172_ConvectiveOutlookSun27May.thumb.jpg.c1419f737da1d4a8914194295347c784.jpg756504457_NMMCAPELISun27MAY15_00.thumb.png.31fe4c9bd26182db2705b52fb1e9ba77.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Well that was incredible. Mainly CC lightning but constant and deep booms. Beat last year's storm. Best one in years. I'll try and get a video up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Still waiting for a repeat of 2015 although that was July. Rare to get anything reasonably interesting before then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Absolutely stunning last night, very similar to US storms in terms of lightning frequency! Let’s hope we get more of that this season! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Believe it or not, the atmosphere still feels, and looks, primed! It’s still very humid, and there’s lots of AcCas floating around too. Current temp. 18.3C Dew point 15.7C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
40 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Last night for me was hands down the most active storms I've seen in the UK personally.. Absolutely unreal what a night.. I have to say I was not expecting soemthing like that last week reading the charts.. Absolutely insane 

So our area copped it? I’m gutted! Got about an hour of very frequent strobe-like lightning here and lots of muted thunder around midnight, but not overhead. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Storm shield in action last night....

got a chance of something tomorrow though!