Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Bit of a different day here. Started off chilly with overcast skies from North Sea muck. That rapidly cleared around 10am to leave much of the day sunny but with a cool breeze. Then mid level muck moved in around 4pm, which is still there and the temperature has dropped to 17C. Hopefully, sunnier and warmer this weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, Surrey said:

Will get on computer shortly and post up some charts, anyone with access to the arome might wanna check it out for tonight... Where as the euro4 says no

Quite a few storms exploding into action across the Belgium/Holland border, look like they’re moving this way, fairly rapidly too. Wonder if we will see something tonight?

Okay finally managed to get some time on the computer at home.. 

This evening is one of those times that surprises us a little ..

High res models for tonight...

AROME is probably the one showing the biggest risk of thunderstorms tonight...Wont include tomorrow as it also has potential for storms

Current thinking tonight is that the stuff over France will slowly migrate over here given that these storms are most probably elevated or soon to be there is a chance they will make the very short trip over the channel. Infact, of all the times I have watched night time storms and hunted them across the channel this is the shortest trip they have had to make LOL! 

As these storms cross MOST models break out more storms around these as indicated by the various high res models below..

AROME goes with the general theory really well, I think this model as I always mention does over do it slightly ... 

preciprate_010.jpg?2018052312 preciprate_011.jpg?2018052312preciprate_012.jpg?2018052312preciprate_013.jpg?2018052312preciprate_014.jpg?2018052312

preciprate_015.jpg?2018052312 preciprate_016.jpg?2018052312preciprate_017.jpg?2018052312preciprate_018.jpg?2018052312

EURO 4 it actually is quite similar to the AROME in a way that it breaks out some storms around the French imports.. HOWEVER it only really liked the idea on todays lunch run

Precipitation EURO4 Th 24.05.2018 00 GMT Precipitation EURO4 Th 24.05.2018 03 GMTPrecipitation EURO4 Th 24.05.2018 06 GMT

I wanted to use the NMM also but it does not show the current storms over Belgium/France that well so have discounted it.. 

ICONs take on it..Little less enthusiastic to the above 2 

overview_009.jpg?2018052312 overview_012.jpg?2018052312overview_015.jpg?2018052312overview_018.jpg?2018052312

I have never used this model before I have viewed it a few times in winter .. AND actually done really well on the current storms there..

426893026_light1.thumb.jpg.9232b208354501ba4d5e5be89eb1d159.jpg

overview_008.jpg?2018052312 overview_010.jpg?2018052312overview_012.jpg?2018052312 overview_014.jpg?2018052312overview_016.jpg?2018052312

I guess my "Our best chance looks to be Monday", is out the window... Lots more chances to over the next 4-5 days...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,snow+gales

Wouldn't expect too much tonight in the way of storm activity indications across the channel are as the storms get to Bruge/Calais die off before making the short hop towards the uk.Oh well plenty of time yet as it's still early enough in the storm season not to get too despondent.

18 minutes ago, Paul1968 said:

Wouldn't expect too much tonight in the way of storm activity indications across the channel are as the storms get to Bruge/Calais die off before making the short hop towards the uk.Oh well plenty of time yet as it's still early enough in the storm season not to get too despondent.

These storms are just an indication that there is the ingredients brewing for storms most of the storms are expected to fire up later in the night our side, that lot will slowly drift over and may have the odd rumble 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,snow+gales

Sorry still can't see it myself,all i can see is a decaying unorganized mess heading to some parts of our area in the next hour or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Seen a few flashes way to my South over the past hour. Nothing heard though :o

Posted

3.3mm of rain overnight, was quite heavy for a time but no thunder.

12c currently and cloudy but less wind at least

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL

We had quite a full-on storm about 2.20am that lasted about 30 minutes then some random flashes of lightning and rubles of thunder every 10 mins or so as it edged away towards 3am. I didn't get up as I'm ill, but the lightning looked particularly bright - I'm sure it would have been amazing to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Looks like everything went to the West of me, although I did get woken briefly by heavy rain at about 1am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

NE wind is lighter today and the sunshine is unbroken. 15C, so already warmer than yesterday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Overcast here with light rain at the moment as the overnight rain starts to clear away .

Posted

Vile wet morning here, but I suppose we could do with a bit of rain. Feeling very chilly at only 11C. Hurry back, sunshine ☀️ 

Posted

Light rain arrived at 6pm yesterday and dull and damp today, some rain overnight which is good for the allotment. Might be tricky planning outdoor stuff for the next few days what with the unpredictability but likeliness of storms?

Just had to share a spring moment - the cygnets on the river opposite my flat hatch yesterday, cuteness overload!

DSC00735.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Vile wet morning here, but I suppose we could do with a bit of rain. Feeling very chilly at only 11C. Hurry back, sunshine ☀️ 

Looks like this afternoon could turn sunny, some breaks starting to appear on SAT but this is so common next day crud from overnight storms humidity certainly going up 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
29 minutes ago, RichmondWeather said:

The heavy rain last night was quite impressive. A few flashes and rumbles as well in the distance. 

Yes, last night's rain here in Twickenham was extraordinary - we were absolutely in the sweet spot. 

• Like 1

Posted

Light to medium light drizzle over night.

Pheobe is now wearing her hat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Wall-to-wall sunshine and already 19C, 5C better than yesterday.

• Like 1