Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Will this summer be similar to the poor ones of the 1980s?

Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
6 hours ago, B87 said:

I made an average of summer temps when the year ends in 8. 1948-2008.

I was shocked at how bad it actually is. Certainly looking grim for 2018 if it keeps the same pattern.

Jun: 19.9 / 11.2
Jul: 21.3 / 12.7
Aug: 21.3 / 12.7

Don't worry the CFS already knows its a year ending in 8

Not a single sign of the Azores high all summer.

Edited by - 40*C
  • Like 1

Posted

For me, 25-28 degrees during the day and 18 degrees in the evening is the magic range. 

I do love the warmth but when we get above 28 degrees here it’s always muggy/humid and makes me feel like poop so I do sort of sympathise with those who aren’t fans of summer.

Anyone enjoying the current weather however is a bit of a sadist IMO.

On 29/03/2018 at 14:50, cheeky_monkey said:

agreed i don't recollect July 1999 as being that great or being better than plenty of summer months is the 1990s...i wager Aug 1990 was better as was possibly Aug 1991 and July 1994, July 1995, Aug 1997

Total sunshine and rainfall levels for the month are better than July '95 and even not too far behind August '95. Average temperatures weren't quite so high but still around the same level as August '03. It was glorious for much of the month, but it seems the average temperature is often used to determine if it was a good month or not.

Posted

A summer like 1995, or 83, 84, or 2013 would be great. But, with less humidity.

What I don’t want is the high humidity of June 2017, with several days exceeding 30 degrees and warm to hot nights of 20 and above. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
2 hours ago, Philipsfd said:

Total sunshine and rainfall levels for the month are better than July '95 and even not too far behind August '95. Average temperatures weren't quite so high but still around the same level as August '03. It was glorious for much of the month, but it seems the average temperature is often used to determine if it was a good month or not.

July 1999 was only slightly above average here, while July 1995 was actually hot.

August 2003 was notably warmer than July 1999.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

A summer like 1995, or 83, 84, or 2013 would be great. But, with less humidity.

What I don’t want is the high humidity of June 2017, with several days exceeding 30 degrees and warm to hot nights of 20 and above. 

June 2017 was basically an average July. I'd happily have a summer with average temperatures and sunshine, as we haven't had one for ages.

The last time we had a summer with average sunshine was in 2013 and 2014. Before that you have to go all the way back to 2005!  I want a scorching sunny August above all, as that month has massively underperformed since 2006.

Posted

Maybe 2018 will bring us a sunnier and warmer August, even if the earlier part of summer is poor. Maybe the opposite to 2017, which started off well, but deteriorated after mid July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.

I firmly believe that a pleasant summer in the UK is impossible. Any warmth we get is sourced from iberia, and thus laced with humidity. The prospect of upper 20s by day and high teens by night just fills me with dread.

Now *if* we could actually get a summer with dry, sunny but *average* temperatures (which for my neck of the woods is 17-19 or so by day and 10 or so by night) then there'd be no complaints from me. The MOD thread will soon be filled with heat chasers like it was with deep cold chasers all winter. Our average temps aren't enough for them.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
On 31/03/2018 at 16:43, Summer Sun said:

JAMSTEC looks nice for summer warmer and drier than average

temp2_glob.JJA2018.1mar2018.thumb.gif.799aa17ae7cc151717bfec168ef4ffe5.giftprep_glob.JJA2018.1mar2018.thumb.gif.5617cc04bc9b5aaf7f330efb7b8fb0e8.gif

:good:

A touch drier and a smidge cooler than average would suit this middle aged mammal! Drier so I don't have to bog trot when out walking, and a little cooler so I don't melt, much above 25C for me is a tad unnecessary.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
1 hour ago, Ice Man 85 said:

I firmly believe that a pleasant summer in the UK is impossible. Any warmth we get is sourced from iberia, and thus laced with humidity. The prospect of upper 20s by day and high teens by night just fills me with dread.

Now *if* we could actually get a summer with dry, sunny but *average* temperatures (which for my neck of the woods is 17-19 or so by day and 10 or so by night) then there'd be no complaints from me. The MOD thread will soon be filled with heat chasers like it was with deep cold chasers all winter. Our average temps aren't enough for them.

I'm with you brother!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.

I stand corrected; they're already here. Reminds me of the flowers from the old vitalite advert; as soon as the sun appears, they spring to life

Posted

I'd be happy with a nondescript summer like 1996, 2004 or 2005. Daytime temps close to average with average sunshine.

I have a really bad feeling that we are going to get something awful, like the 1985-88 summers, or 2007-8 and 11-12.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Well thankfully the likes of that happening often here in the North West are pretty rare. Not had a notably hot summer month since July 2013, so that's 5 years ago. London regularly experiences upper 20s every Summer and tops 30C at least once every Summer without fail looking at Heathrow's records. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Well thankfully the likes of that happening often here in the North West are pretty rare. Not had a notably hot summer month since July 2013, so that's 5 years ago. London regularly experiences upper 20s every Summer and tops 30C at least once every Summer without fail looking at Heathrow's records. 

True, but it reached my bugbear conditions for a good few days last June. Bloody awful.

• Like 1

Posted

I love how people that look a the extreme and class that to be the normal. July 2013 was the second hottest July  since  1976..  July 2014 was a warm month as well. Summer 2016 was decent enough. So to say we haven't had any summer months likeJuly 2013 is correct. But not something that should be used as a yard stick

Posted
3 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

I love how people that look a the extreme and class that to be the normal. July 2013 was the second hottest July  since  1976..  July 2014 was a warm month as well. Summer 2016 was decent enough. So to say we haven't had any summer months likeJuly 2013 is correct. But not something that should be used as a yard stick

Who said it was 'normal'? I wasn't normalising July 2013. Just pointing out the Summers since then could have been a lot worse for people who dislike heat. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Most people seem to forget that summer 2013 only had average sunshine. June was cool and generally terrible, July was the 3rd hottest on record here, and August was slightly above average but cloudy.

2014 was very slightly sunnier, but had one of the worst Augusts I've ever experienced, up there with 2008 and 2010.

1996 and 2004 both had average temps here.

Posted

Who said it was 'normal'? I wasn't normalising July 2013. Just pointing out the Summers since then could have been a lot worse for people who dislike heat. 

Right, but its not much different in the south either  its not exactly sub tropical between  200 miles from north to south

Posted
Just now, weatherguru14 said:

Right, but its not much different in the south either  its not exactly sub tropical between  200 miles from north to south

There's been loads of times it has been 20C here and 28C in London. It can and does happen. That can be pretty significant in terms of how it feels.

Posted
1 minute ago, B87 said:

Most people seem to forget that summer 2013 only had average sunshine. June was cool and generally terrible, July was the 3rd hottest on record here, and August was slightly above average but cloudy.

2014 was very slightly sunnier, but had one of the worst Augusts I've ever experienced, up there with 2008 and 2010.

1996 and 2004 both had average temps here.

June 2013 was good for the western part of the UK. like ive mentioned several times over the last  3 years.. It was the opposite for  June 2014 from what I've heard people say.. From what I recall July 2013 was exceptionally hot. But wasn't difficult to sleep at night.. It was like last year during the  short spell of really hot weather. The humidity wasn't there.

Posted
Just now, Frost HoIIow said:

There's been loads of times it has been 20C here and 28C in London. It can and does happen. That can be pretty significant in terms of how it feels.

Average summers in London get about a month's worth of days above 25c, and 4-5 days above 30c, so that is to be expected.

Posted
2 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

June 2013 was good for the western part of the UK. like ive mentioned several times over the last  3 years.. It was the opposite for  June 2014 from what I've heard people say.. From what I recall July 2013 was exceptionally hot. But wasn't difficult to sleep at night.. It was like last year during the  short spell of really hot weather. The humidity wasn't there.

Yeah, June 2013 was cool and extremely cloudy here, while June 2014 was warm with above average sun. July was warm or hot and sunny in both years. August was warm and cloudy in 2013, cool and extremely cloudy in 2014.

July 2013 had an average max of 27.0c, which puts it in 3rd place after 2006 (28.2c), and 1983 (27.6c).

Edited by B87

Posted

Yeah  but sometimes the east cost gets a lot of cloud  and a easterly and further in land its warmer. The very far south has a better chance of good and warmer weather. when the jet  is just far enough north to allow  them to be below it. But when  get the best summers.. The jet stream is further north.. That's all we can hope for is that we get the jet stream further north for long enough this year.

Posted
1 minute ago, B87 said:

Average summers in London get about a month's worth of days above 25c, and 4-5 days above 30c, so that is to be expected.

And eastern areas are generally sunnier. So temps are more likely to rocket in the strong summer sunshine. Here west of the Pennines is a cloudier wetter place. Although for some reason May can be very sunny here and very warm. Similar for western Scotland too.