Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Will this summer be similar to the poor ones of the 1980s?

Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
10 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

With all due respect, Pete, I'm a weather historian and I take the opposite view, I don't take personal experience at face view as people tend to look through nostalgic glasses or they allow their nature (eg pessimists)  to look through a narrow prism. People say that "summers were better when they were kids" etc. as an example.  I look at the hard stats evidence to back up what they say.

I think we should agree to disagree.  The title of this thread appears to mean subjective views like mine.  My memories aren't seen through rose-tinted glasses.  My strong long-term memory is based on recollections of places, music, things like holidays and days out and of course events throughout my 60s teenhood. 

I apologise for my brusque, terse manner when posting but my stroke trashed my speech and even now it takes me some effort to write prose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
8 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i was living in sarf London in 1994 but wasn't in 97 and you know how hot it can feel in the urban jungle in the summer..so that's why i remember 94 as being hotter than 97.

totally I was in Cheshire in 94 but Brixton 97 so definitely imby affected recall - I don't have the sharp recall of Wild swimmer Pete though !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

March 2013 was very cold, even late in the month. July 2013 was sizzling. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, danm said:

2013 flipped in late June, we had a generally cold Spring overall, with little warmth, and June was cold as well. July 2013 was excellent though and I'd take one summer month like that again, not bettered since, though nearly so by July 2014.

Haven't any inkling about this summer, overdue a lengthy dry sunny warm spell of 2 weeks. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Not the best description of a topic.I see members from London and Liverpool disagreeing but the fact is all summers in general are very different across the country.The amount of times I see hot temps in the south east in the high 20s and even over 30 for periods of the summer whereas here in the pennines we can count the days over 25 on 2 fingers,it seems to happen every few years.The 80s here did have 4 bad sunmers of 85,86,87 and 88.Possibly 1980 as I don't really recall but 81 was ok with a decent August.When I say they were bad I do mean 'bad' but  the summers of 2007,2009,2010[except june]  and 2011 I think were marginally worse and 2008 and 2012 I do not have a description for,there was no summer,shockers! What I would say about the 80s is I would take that decade all the time as the 4 or 5 poor summers more than made up for it with the very good summers of 1983,84 and 1989 ,only 1995 has had a better summer than any of these 3 years since.I don't know how 2013 got so high in the rankings,it was just cloudy here except for july ,an eternity away from the 80s great 3 summers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

For me living in the southeast, I probably do expect more. I holiday most years in the Lake District and a good day up there would probably be a disappointing one down in Essex so it is subjective. Saying all that last summer started really well, although 2nd half was poor.

2016, 2015 and 2014 were all ok summers with hot spells and some decent thunderstorms.

2013 was very good especially July. June was a little cool but dry from memory.

2012 was poor but August was satisfactory with a local hot spell on V weekend (32c on both Sat/Sunday from memory). 

2011 was also poor. 2010 was mostly good other than August. I remember a long period of dry sunny weather for 3-4 weeks in June into July during the World Cup and beyond.

Best summers from memory though have to be 94/95/96/03/06/2013.

2005 wasn’t bad either.

Worst summer is reserved for 2007 although even then there was some better spells of weather at times and we had that fantastic April!

Posted
6 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

were there any in the 60s?..2 good summers in the 70s... 75,76..4 good summers in the 90s..90,91,94,95..2 in 2000s..03,06..and one in 10s thus far,,,2013..maybe there is a trend and there will be none again in the 2020s?

Again this is going by memory alone, but I thought Summer 96 was a fairly good Summer. Not as hot as 95 but I recall it been generally Sunny and useable at least. Then again that could have been just odd days here and there rather than anything particularly long lasting. I didn't tend to think on these things much back then so I just took what came and didn't mind much either way unless it was pouring with rain say, then I guess I didn't like it much as I couldn't spend anytime outside. I remember my Mums cousin getting married that Summer though and that was a nice day as well as a barbeque we went to another day that was sunny. 

Posted
14 hours ago, danm said:

I remember 2013 took some time to get going, in terms of warming up. Right up until late May, it was still quite chilly. Then the heat arrived in June, but with still some coolish days. July and August 2013 was brilliant though. We haven’t had a decent summer since. 2017 was probably the closest one to match it, if we compare sunshine levels. But 2017 had a poor August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
14 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Again this is going by memory alone, but I thought Summer 96 was a fairly good Summer. Not as hot as 95 but I recall it been generally Sunny and useable at least. Then again that could have been just odd days here and there rather than anything particularly long lasting. I didn't tend to think on these things much back then so I just took what came and didn't mind much either way unless it was pouring with rain say, then I guess I didn't like it much as I couldn't spend anytime outside. I remember my Mums cousin getting married that Summer though and that was a nice day as well as a barbeque we went to another day that was sunny. 

i got married in early September 1996 and had 2 stag dos in the summer one in Plymouth and one in London...June was warm and quite Thundery remember this well as it was Euro 96 also...July and August were pretty average..certainly not a patch on 95 or 97 

Posted
17 hours ago, damianslaw said:

2013 flipped in late June, we had a generally cold Spring overall, with little warmth, and June was cold as well. July 2013 was excellent though and I'd take one summer month like that again, not bettered since, though nearly so by July 2014.

Haven't any inkling about this summer, overdue a lengthy dry sunny warm spell of 2 weeks. 

People have a very short memory June 2013 was very good for the western part of the UK..

Posted

Its funny how people remember things for their neck of the woods. 2017 was a diabolical  summer.. 2016 was better from my perspective anyway...

The only encouragement I can give for summer 2018 is that  it cant be any worse than last years. And you cant really judge a summer from the middle of march. just because its cold doesn't mean we wont have hot a spell in May or even April.. so who knows what  the summer will be like. Has for long range forecasts NO point in them.

Quite a few mentions of summers 94 and 97; but what about '99? The July of that year was glorious and whilst not as hot as August '97, it was sunnier and not as wet. In fact you could even make a case for August '98 being on a par with August '97 in some areas - it was cooler but some areas of had higher sunshine levels. Am I right in thinking that August 97 temperatures had a lot to do with some very warm nights?

Of very recent summers (beyond 2014), I'd say 2016 probably comes out on top - a good few short hot spells and satisfactory inbetween more often than not.

Posted

The current thread is a mix of fact and memory which is quite entertaining- I seem to remember that August 98 was poor in London and SE  - when did we last have a really good August that was nationwide memorable..?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
11 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

The current thread is a mix of fact and memory which is quite entertaining- I seem to remember that August 98 was poor in London and SE  - when did we last have a really good August that was nationwide memorable..?

August 2003 most likely. I don't have any memories of it because I was really young but other than the incredible heatwave it looked to be high pressure dominated and very dry. I think the end of the month turned much cooler but stayed dry and fine, with northerly winds and maybe even a couple ground frosts.

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

August 2003 most likely. I don't have any memories of it because I was really young but other than the incredible heatwave it looked to be high pressure dominated and very dry. I think the end of the month turned much cooler but stayed dry and fine, with northerly winds and maybe even a couple ground frosts.

Yes was a great August esp in the south .... if that was the last really good one shows what a duff month August can be !!??

Posted

Yes August really is a month that does not perform in recent years and we are a very long way overdue a very good one.With memorable ones such as 1975,76,83,84,89,90,95 and 1997 real standout greats as well as some good ones thrown in such as 1981,1991 and 1996 there seems to have been a big change with only 2003 to add as great in over 20 years and maybe a couple that could be described as ok,hoping for something better this year.

1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

Yes August really is a month that does not perform in recent years and we are a very long way overdue a very good one.With memorable ones such as 1975,76,83,84,89,90,95 and 1997 real standout greats as well as some good ones thrown in such as 1981,1991 and 1996 there seems to have been a big change with only 2003 to add as great in over 20 years and maybe a couple that could be described as ok,hoping for something better this year.

I'm surprised you have mentioned '91 and '96 but not '98, I would say the latter is above the previous two in terms of a 'good' August. And '97 and '03 are overrated simply because of the heat - after the first 10 days, August '03 was quite mediocre really and as I mentioned above a series of very warm and humid nights ramped up the average temperature for August '97.

August '95 was a belter, but '03 always seems to get media plaudits. 

August 2004 was fascinating in a different way; warm, wet and showery but I'll always remember that month for the run of evening thunderstorms in the North West. This month still stands out as the most thundery I can remember.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Philipsfd said:

I'm surprised you have mentioned '91 and '96 but not '98, I would say the latter is above the previous two in terms of a 'good' August. And '97 and '03 are overrated simply because of the heat - after the first 10 days, August '03 was quite mediocre really and as I mentioned above a series of very warm and humid nights ramped up the average temperature for August '97.

August '95 was a belter, but '03 always seems to get media plaudits. 

August 2004 was fascinating in a different way; warm, wet and showery but I'll always remember that month for the run of evening thunderstorms in the North West. This month still stands out as the most thundery I can remember.

I guess 1998 here was on the back of a poor summer but I also seem to think it wasn't a great start .What I do remember is we had a lot of dead calm but and sunny days but many here in the pennines were dogged by hazy sunshine .whilst I worked on the farm at the time after a poor summer this month was the time to do much of the remainder of the haymaking but we struggled with the dew and calm conditions and hazy sunshine,a dull last few days.To me I base summer on making hay,if you struggle to make hay it is a poor month.For many you can have many days of good sunny weather and still call it good with a few showers inbetween,for me that is poor ,you cannot make hay !

Posted

The title of the thread is about whether this summer will be like the poor ones of the 80's alas inevitably its turned into reflections of summers past - which is fine I guess and probably a reflection that many are turning there thoughts and plans to the summer season ahead, as we do in September/October about the winter..

Augusts have been poor in the main since 2006 here, often dull cloudy and wet, and cool, last year was ok, but nothing special. August 97 was a very humid wet warm one - quite tropical feeling, think we had lots of southerly plumes and long fetch SW airstreams, it was also a very thundery month - quite memorable.

Posted
7 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i got married in early September 1996 and had 2 stag dos in the summer one in Plymouth and one in London...June was warm and quite Thundery remember this well as it was Euro 96 also...July and August were pretty average..certainly not a patch on 95 or 97 

97 shouldn’t be even mentioned in the same paragraph as a good summer. It was hot in the August for a little while, but all I remember was some humid and cloudy periods during June and July and lots of damp weather. It certainly wasn’t a classic summer. 

1999 was better, and we had some good storms in May, June and July of 1999. Think it was close to being one of the most thundery summers, since the early 1980s at the time. July was hot, August was a slight let down, but September was also warm that year.

Posted
5 hours ago, Badgers01 said:

I think August 2013 was decent, and although 2016 was ok, it wasn’t memorable. I just remember a few nice warm sunny days here and there.

Augusts of 1995 and 2003 were probably the last good ones. 

Posted
On 21/03/2018 at 22:15, hillbilly said:

Not the best description of a topic.I see members from London and Liverpool disagreeing but the fact is all summers in general are very different across the country.The amount of times I see hot temps in the south east in the high 20s and even over 30 for periods of the summer whereas here in the pennines we can count the days over 25 on 2 fingers,it seems to happen every few years.The 80s here did have 4 bad sunmers of 85,86,87 and 88.Possibly 1980 as I don't really recall but 81 was ok with a decent August.When I say they were bad I do mean 'bad' but  the summers of 2007,2009,2010[except june]  and 2011 I think were marginally worse and 2008 and 2012 I do not have a description for,there was no summer,shockers! What I would say about the 80s is I would take that decade all the time as the 4 or 5 poor summers more than made up for it with the very good summers of 1983,84 and 1989 ,only 1995 has had a better summer than any of these 3 years since.I don't know how 2013 got so high in the rankings,it was just cloudy here except for july ,an eternity away from the 80s great 3 summers.

1990 anyone? That was part of the 1989-90 period of decent summers.

Posted
3 hours ago, hillbilly said:

1991 was the last time we had a snowy February nationwide, before this year(excluding 2010), and August 91 was fairly warm and sunny. Maybe we will have a poor start to summer 2018, with a cool June and mediocre July, then the heat will arrive in August.