Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Will this summer be similar to the poor ones of the 1980s?

Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 minute ago, weatherguru14 said:

Yeah  but sometimes the east cost gets a lot of cloud  and a easterly and further in land its warmer. The very far south has a better chance of good and warmer weather. when the jet  is just far enough north to allow  them to be below it. But when  get the best summers.. The jet stream is further north.. That's all we can hope for is that we get the jet stream further north for long enough this year.

You can hope for it but not my cuppa tea. Yes right on the east coast can be cloudy but its not as dull and damp for as often like here in NW England or western Scotland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

There's been loads of times it has been 20C here and 28C in London. It can and does happen. That can be pretty significant in terms of how it feels.

You should try moving a few miles east here in the pennines where it is always a couple of degrees cooler than Manchester or Leeds.I now live in the valley where it is always 2 to 3 degrees  warmer than where I used to live at 340m up on the hillside,thats typically 5 degrees cooler than Manchester or Leeds as well as being much windier giving an extra coat to windchill,an eternity from London.We typically only get a handful of days above 24 deg and have hit 2 days in the last 5 years that have managed 30 deg,which is amazingly good for here .If all you cold lovers spent a few years above 300m in the pennines maybe you would look forward to some hot weather !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
13 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

You should try moving a few miles east here in the pennines where it is always a couple of degrees cooler than Manchester or Leeds.I now live in the valley where it is always 2 to 3 degrees  warmer than where I used to live at 340m up on the hillside,thats typically 5 degrees cooler than Manchester or Leeds as well as being much windier giving an extra coat to windchill,an eternity from London.We typically only get a handful of days above 24 deg and have hit 2 days in the last 5 years that have managed 30 deg,which is amazingly good for here .If all you cold lovers spent a few years above 300m in the pennines maybe you would look forward to some hot weather !

you moved there...

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

I've experienced worse conditions than the Pennines which still has a maritime climate. Try -25C with a 40mph wind that I dealt with regularly when I lived in the US. Believe it or not I actually enjoyed it. When all's said and done even Winters like 62 63 was not as harsh as what some parts of the states and Canada experience EACH Winter. People complain about the cold too much in this country when in reality it's not that bad as other places.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

you moved there...

I was born and bred on the hills here in the pennines,i moved down into the valley where it is slightly warmer and certainly less windchill.My point was that there are few cooler places in the British isles  and those in warmer climes complaining about heat may feel different had they lived here or maybe they may like it,i for one loved my time on the hilltop but at least I can do more outside now without freezing to death.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I've experienced worse conditions than the Pennines which still has a maritime climate. Try -25C with a 40mph wind that I dealt with regularly when I lived in the US. Believe it or not I actually enjoyed it. When all's said and done even Winters like 62 63 was not as harsh as what some parts of the states and Canada experience EACH Winter. People complain about the cold too much in this country when in reality it's not that bad as other places.

Yes North America is much colder than any British winter as is continental Europe,the difference is they also get a summer .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Just thinking about the thread title for a second and checking out the summers of the 80s, it didn't look like there were any 'normal' summers at all; they were either bad or good. Based on the average temps and sun hours, 1984 seemed like the most normal one in London.

On 01/04/2018 at 20:39, Frost HoIIow said:

Well thankfully the likes of that happening often here in the North West are pretty rare. Not had a notably hot summer month since July 2013, so that's 5 years ago. London regularly experiences upper 20s every Summer and tops 30C at least once every Summer without fail looking at Heathrow's records. 

Did 2007, 2008 and 2011 get to 30?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

It reaches 30C in Leeds more years than not. Since the turn of the century, it reached 30C in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017. I believe the lowest max yearly temperature this century was 27C in 2012, which was a truly appalling summer and probably the worst I have experienced (being 30 I missed the horrible 80s summers and mostly experienced average to above average summers throughout my childhood and teenage years).

Edited by cheese

Posted
50 minutes ago, Philipsfd said:

Did 2007, 2008 and 2011 get to 30?

Well I did say without fail haha but it did fail to reach 30C at Heathrow in both 2007 and 2008. It was a close call though as it reached 29C on both years, twice in 2008. 2011 on the other hand did reach 30C. Maybe somewhere else in the SE did hit 30C in 2007 & 2008 but I haven't looked at other data. 

Posted
34 minutes ago, cheese said:

It reaches 30C in Leeds more years than not. Since the turn of the century, it reached 30C in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017. I believe the lowest max yearly temperature this century was 27C in 2012, which was a truly appalling summer and probably the worst I have experienced (being 30 I missed the horrible 80s summers and mostly experienced average to above average summers throughout my childhood and teenage years).

Down the road here closer to the coast we haven't hit 30C since 15th August 2001, so getting on for 17 years now.

The lack of extremes during the summer months has been bizarre though. Since 2011, the record maximum temps here (since 1980) have been broken in January (2015), March (2012), April (2011), May (2017), September (2016), October (2011), November (2015) and December (2015). February came close in 2012, but in the summer months the records have now stood unbroken for 18, 22 and 28 years.

That said, we've still had some warm summers, only 4 of the last 11 have seen below average mean temps and even those were no more than 0.4C below normal. Only two of those summers since 2006 were duller than normal and four were wetter than normal. So not too bad in this neck of the woods.

Posted

Wow. And on 1 July 2015, temperatures in this neck of the woods were reaching 33C. Do you know what temperature it was in Hedon on that day?

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
3 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Well I did say without fail haha but it did fail to reach 30C at Heathrow in both 2007 and 2008. It was a close call though as it reached 29C on both years, twice in 2008. 2011 on the other hand did reach 30C. Maybe somewhere else in the SE did hit 30C in 2007 & 2008 but I haven't looked at other data. 

Kew and St James's Park both hit 30c in 2008. In 2007 the only place to hit 30c was Cambridge; nowhere in London managed it for the first time since 1993!

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, cheese said:

Wow. And on 1 July 2015, temperatures in this neck of the woods were reaching 33C. Do you know what temperature it was in Hedon on that day?

There was a maximum of just 25.0C here that day, as the wind was a fairly strong onshore south-easterly which supressed temperatures. Its a common theme in hot spells this close to the coast. We usually record the warmest days just as the hot spell is breaking down as the wind tends to switch offshore - much like the example WH posts above. In the spell in July 2015, the 4th was actually warmer for us with a max of 26.3C, as the wind switched to the south-west.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
15 hours ago, B87 said:

Kew and St James's Park both hit 30c in 2008. In 2007 the only place to hit 30c was Cambridge; nowhere in London managed it for the first time since 1993!

London scraped 30C on August 05th.

Posted
1 hour ago, reef said:

There was a maximum of just 25.0C here that day, as the wind was a fairly strong onshore south-easterly which supressed temperatures. Its a common theme in hot spells this close to the coast. We usually record the warmest days just as the hot spell is breaking down as the wind tends to switch offshore - much like the example WH posts above. In the spell in July 2015, the 4th was actually warmer for us with a max of 26.3C, as the wind switched to the south-west.

Amazing how temperatures vary even here in the pennies we got a one day wonder of 31 deg.However your neck of the woods is not always the coldest and am sure you know just down the road at Whitby in March 1965 an astonishing 25 deg was registered yes March and holds the March max record and was the hottest day of the year in Whitby also.

Posted

It's impossible to predict what kind of summer we're going to get, of course, but if 2013 can be considered anything vaguely like an analogue for this year I don't think I'll be complaining if we get a similar summer.

Standout summers for me are 1976 (of course), 1983, 1989, 1990, 1995, 2003 and 2006, with 1984, 1994, 1999 and 2013 being decent also-rans. We've had a fair few duffers as well, of course - but I struggle to remember anything quite as bad as the dire summer of 2012.

Psychologically, do you find that summers that start badly and get better seem better than those that start well and go downhill? I don't think summer 2016 was statistically vastly better than 2015 or 2017, but it seems to me to have been the best of the three by far.

Edited by Stargazer
  • Like 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

It's impossible to predict what kind of summer we're going to get, of course, but if 2013 can be considered anything vaguely like an analogue for this year I don't think I'll be complaining if we get a similar summer.

Standout summers for me are 1976 (of course), 1983, 1989, 1990, 1995, 2003 and 2006, with 1984, 1994, 1999 and 2013 being decent also-rans. We've had a fair few duffers as well, of course - but I struggle to remember anything quite as bad as the dire summer of 2012.

Psychologically, do you find that summers that start badly and get better seem better than those that start well and go downhill? I don't think summer 2016 was statistically vastly better than 2015 or 2017, but it seems to me to have been the best of the three by far.

That's definitely true for me. 2013 and 2014 were kind of switched around - in 2013, July and August were warmer than average, with June cooler than average, whereas in 2014 it was June and July that were warmer than average whereas August was below average. I preferred the former to the latter.

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

That's definitely true for me. 2013 and 2014 were kind of switched around - in 2013, July and August were warmer than average, with June cooler than average, whereas in 2014 it was June and July that were warmer than average whereas August was below average. I preferred the former to the latter.

I remember in June 1995 wondering if it was going to be a poor summer as for the majority of that month it was cool and showery then bang a huge change late in the month & the rest is history.

Posted

I too think July and especially August define how we perceive the Summer. Maybe it's because as kids it was when we would be off school for the holidays so back then that's when we felt it was truly Summer. It's certainly how I felt back then anyway.

• Like 2

Posted

I was having this conversation with a co worker and he said his last summer(2017) was really good, but this was based purely on his point of view. He plays golf and was lucky to enjoy the early part of May to mid July having time off work. The weather was good, but I also have to remind him how summer 2017 fell apart after the mid July thunderstorms, which led to cooler conditions during the rest of July and produced a very poor August.

For some reason he seems to conveniently forget the poor second half of summer. It was a disappointment. 

2009 and 2010 started off quite decent, but were poor in the second half.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

its interesting reading everyones recollections - for me my main recollection of summers since 2003 is generally how poor august can be - it really is the archetypal summer month - silly season shut down - and it is so often poor was this always the case ...?

Posted

The 2nd half of last summer was dire. I remember getting home and taking a sweet photo of those incoming thunderstorms in July and then it reverted to drab right up until this very day.

August has been utter balls since 2003 and is often bettered by September. August is also when i get my first autumn prangs.

Posted

August hasn't been that bad everywhere in recent years. There hasn't been any very hot ones, but several have been drier, sunnier and warmer than average.

Certainly here, 2009, 2013 and 2016 all produced Augusts that were drier, sunnier and warmer than average. August 2007 was about average temperature-wise, but was very dry and sunny which was very welcome after that awful June and July.

It has certainly stood out for lack of hot days though, we haven't hit above 27.0C since August 2007. Nevertheless, most Augusts since 2007 have had plenty of warm, pleasant days into the low 20s. Even 2012 in that dire summer managed 23 out of 31 days with a temperature above 20C. Last August was similar, with 24 out of 31 days hitting 20C or more. I struggle to call months like that poor when you have examples like 1986 when it only reached 20C four times all month!