Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Will this summer be similar to the poor ones of the 1980s?

Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
31 minutes ago, cheese said:

You're a sadist, aren't you?

Nope. I just don't like hot weather. It makes me feel quite sick and ill.

Fair enough I'd suggest?

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
43 minutes ago, cheese said:

You're a sadist, aren't you?

says the guy who shot me down for not wanting the extreme cold we got at the end of february. the hypocracy is delicious. Now you question the sanity of those who once again don't follow your rhetoric in the mod thread.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
16 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Fair enough I'd suggest?

A man after my own heart.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 minute ago, Ice Man 85 said:

says the guy who shot me down for not wanting the extreme cold we got at the end of february. the hypocracy is delicious. Now you question the sanity of those who once again don't follow your rhetoric in the mod thread.

was it extreme cold though??..anyway i agree heat isnt the be all and end of all of a good summer...the amount of dry sunny weather is the main thing..with no humidity..tis a rare beast in the UK most summers.

Posted
Just now, cheeky_monkey said:

was it extreme cold though??..anyway i agree heat isnt the be all and end of all of a good summer...the amount of dry sunny weather is the main thing..with no humidity..tis a rare beast in the UK most summers.

was by our standards lol. sunny, dry and *average* would suit me any time of the year. That's never enough for the "enthusiasts" though

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Fair enough I'd suggest?

Seconded, although a couple of days is always fun. Nothing worse of endless 28c plus days and high humidity. At least you can warm the house in the winter. Give me sunshine and 23-25c!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Speaking from personal memory alone, and also from a totally IMBY perspective, these are the long hot summers that I have lived through...

1975 - For those who want a long hot summer, then this was one to remember, the only problem was it got outshone by what happened the following year! Also don't forget that this summer started with snow falling at the beginning of June!

1976 - Goes without saying really. :laugh:

1983 - This again was a long hot summer

1984 - Another hot summer, but not as consistently hot as what happened the year before, hence this one tends to be forgotten.

1989 - But of a strange one this... Plenty of sunshine, but there appeared to be a three week cycle... Hot and sunny for a week, then a occasionally thundery breakdown, and the gloom tended to last for a few days afterwards, then a week of very pleasant sunshine, but not to hot, and then the heat came back! ... Rinse and repeat!

1990 - June was a bit well... Ish... It was in July (mid July from memory) that the heat got going, and got going it did! It was sweltering! This lasted until August... But (again from memory) September was also warm with a very humid feel to it, as was (up to) mid October.

1995 - Another very long and hot summer.

2003 - Well, what can I say, this one was a scorcher, when it got going! Plenty of warm sunshine, and then it turned hot... Very hot!!

2006 - I remember this starting in early June and then it just kept going into July... It was very, very hot! Day after day of hot sunshine. In fact when the cool down came at the end of July and into August it was a most welcome relief. 

2013 - It was July that was hot, and from memory August wasn't too bad at all either.

Now then, there are plenty of what I'd call good summers that I haven't mentioned here... A couple of recent ones that spring to mind are 2014 and 2015 (yes i can all ready hear the cries of 'WHAT?? Are you out of your tiny little mind?' ... But let me finish...

2014 Had a pleasant summer but with a two week hot spell in July.

2015 - Now speaking as someone who works outside this was a lovely summer! With the exception of a very hot start to July, which also gave us a very impressive set of thunderstorms, and another Spanish plume around the 22nd of August(?), which also went bang big time, this was a very sunny summer, but with the temps peaking at around 18 - 20 degrees celcius.

Now this does beg the question, do we only class a good summer as one that has been an absolute scorcher (like 75, 76, 83, 90, 95, 03, 06 etc), or are we happy to take a sunny summer that only goes hot when we get a Spanish Plume event? :smile:

For me personally, I'm happy to take a sunny summer that peaks out at 18 - 21 degrees... But I'd be happy to sacrifice that for something hotter as long as it goes bang big time, and many times. :rolleyes:

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

For what its worth... At the moment I'm kinda torn between how this year feels... Its currently like 2006 (which had cold and snow in early March) and 2013?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Settle down mate, you'll give yourself a hernia. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
56 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

For what its worth... At the moment I'm kinda torn between how this year feels... Its currently like 2006 (which had cold and snow in early March) and 2013?

Well without looking at the analogues, I don't know so much.

I'm leaning towards more of a 2007-2012 type summer given where we are at in the solar cycle. Last year I went warmer than average so I'm certainly not hopecasting there.

Possibly early season warmth later April into May with a deterioration thereafter? We'll see.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

for what its worth we don't usually go most summers without one hot spell.. we have  July 2013 and 14 and August and September 2016 (though  usually regarded as autumn)

The chances of July delivering this year I would say is pretty  nailed on..The likelihood of it being another poor month like the last 3. are lessoning due to the facts I doubt we would get  4 poor Julys in a row.

Just need a good spell of weather in June and August and most people would be happy with that..

In terms of previous good or hot summers from the 90s onwards; is it fair to say that summers 1994, 1996, 2004 and 2005 are hugely underrated, perhaps because they were all either immediately before or after one of the so called 'scorchers'? The 94 and 04 summers produced some intense heat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
20 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Speaking from personal memory alone, and also from a totally IMBY perspective, these are the long hot summers that I have lived through...

1975 - For those who want a long hot summer, then this was one to remember, the only problem was it got outshone by what happened the following year! Also don't forget that this summer started with snow falling at the beginning of June!

1976 - Goes without saying really. :laugh:

1983 - This again was a long hot summer

1984 - Another hot summer, but not as consistently hot as what happened the year before, hence this one tends to be forgotten.

1989 - But of a strange one this... Plenty of sunshine, but there appeared to be a three week cycle... Hot and sunny for a week, then a occasionally thundery breakdown, and the gloom tended to last for a few days afterwards, then a week of very pleasant sunshine, but not to hot, and then the heat came back! ... Rinse and repeat!

1990 - June was a bit well... Ish... It was in July (mid July from memory) that the heat got going, and got going it did! It was sweltering! This lasted until August... But (again from memory) September was also warm with a very humid feel to it, as was (up to) mid October.

1995 - Another very long and hot summer.

2003 - Well, what can I say, this one was a scorcher, when it got going! Plenty of warm sunshine, and then it turned hot... Very hot!!

2006 - I remember this starting in early June and then it just kept going into July... It was very, very hot! Day after day of hot sunshine. In fact when the cool down came at the end of July and into August it was a most welcome relief. 

2013 - It was July that was hot, and from memory August wasn't too bad at all either.

Now then, there are plenty of what I'd call good summers that I haven't mentioned here... A couple of recent ones that spring to mind are 2014 and 2015 (yes i can all ready hear the cries of 'WHAT?? Are you out of your tiny little mind?' ... But let me finish...

2014 Had a pleasant summer but with a two week hot spell in July.

2015 - Now speaking as someone who works outside this was a lovely summer! With the exception of a very hot start to July, which also gave us a very impressive set of thunderstorms, and another Spanish plume around the 22nd of August(?), which also went bang big time, this was a very sunny summer, but with the temps peaking at around 18 - 20 degrees celcius.

Now this does beg the question, do we only class a good summer as one that has been an absolute scorcher (like 75, 76, 83, 90, 95, 03, 06 etc), or are we happy to take a sunny summer that only goes hot when we get a Spanish Plume event? :smile:

For me personally, I'm happy to take a sunny summer that peaks out at 18 - 21 degrees... But I'd be happy to sacrifice that for something hotter as long as it goes bang big time, and many times. :rolleyes:

Any reason for skipping 1997 ?  

Posted
21 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Well without looking at the analogues, I don't know so much.

I'm leaning towards more of a 2007-2012 type summer given where we are at in the solar cycle. Last year I went warmer than average so I'm certainly not hopecasting there.

Possibly early season warmth later April into May with a deterioration thereafter? We'll see.

Evening @CreweCold :smile:
To be honest, anyone of us could be right, or wrong... After all, it is mother nature that we're dealing with here. :laugh:
But hey, isn't trying to work out what'll happen half the fun? :smile:

2 hours ago, - 40*C said:

Evening @- 40*C :smile:
No, no reason other that I forgot to mention it... But in my defence I did say that it was from memory, and mine has gone a bit misty and foggy. Lol :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted

I've got to agree that sunny and dry is enough to make a nice Summer, with a few showers mixed in to keep everything green. It looks so much better when the plant life looks strong and healthy rather than all dry brown and withered in the suns heat. A mini heat wave is ok for a couple of days or so, but I'd rather it be comfortable. Feeling hot fatigued and constantly thirsty isn't all that great in my opinion. Plus it's not at all pleasant when trying to sleep at night, especially without any air con which I haven't got and few people in this country do either.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, - 40*C said:

Every reason if you don't like damp and very muggy weather! The June was a washout, July was probably the best month for pleasant and comfortable weather; quite sunny, dry and not too hot or humid. The August was nothing special on the sunshine levels and as said earlier it certainly wasn't dry! Even the top temperature was nothing special; just many days of very warm and humid weather.

A very overrated month/summer, although it was a good one for thunderstorms. I'd describe August 1997 as a warmer and more humid version of August 1999, both were quite thundery at times. 

Edited by Philipsfd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
15 hours ago, Philipsfd said:

Is it fair to say that July 1999 was the second best summer month of the 90s, after August 1995?

was it I don't seem to recall that at all , funny how we remember I would have thought August 97 was better but happy to be proved wrong ...!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
6 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

was it I don't seem to recall that at all , funny how we remember I would have thought August 97 was better but happy to be proved wrong ...!!

agreed i don't recollect July 1999 as being that great or being better than plenty of summer months is the 1990s...i wager Aug 1990 was better as was possibly Aug 1991 and July 1994, July 1995, Aug 1997

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

1999 was a year  I remember  As I was expecting my youngest then . I had a difficult pregnancy and was in and out of hospital . It was a humid time from May to the September . Thunderstorms where I was ( souxth west ) were frequent with some beautiful storms . On the day she was born in the September it thundered on that afternoon ! 

• Like 1

Posted
On 27 March 2018 at 22:56, Philipsfd said:

In terms of previous good or hot summers from the 90s onwards; is it fair to say that summers 1994, 1996, 2004 and 2005 are hugely underrated, perhaps because they were all either immediately before or after one of the so called 'scorchers'? The 94 and 04 summers produced some intense heat.

2004 hugely underrated?

Great for thunder but it wasn't a good summer overall. August was a virtual washout, wettest in the last 60 years. 

Mid June to mid July 2004 was poor as well.  NEly gales early July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

If I had to make a guess at what my average high temps will be like up to September:

April: 11c

May: 16c

June: 19c

July: 24c

August: 22c

September: 21c

An extremely bad April, May, June. July will be average as it always is, immediately followed by yet another terrible August with near record-breaking cloudiness. September will be warmer than average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

I made an average of summer temps when the year ends in 8. 1948-2008.

I was shocked at how bad it actually is. Certainly looking grim for 2018 if it keeps the same pattern.

Jun: 19.9 / 11.2
Jul: 21.3 / 12.7
Aug: 21.3 / 12.7

Posted

If it was even 18c all summer and 10c at night but sunny and calm every day it would make a brilliant summer for me. If the sun shines it makes it feel much warmer than it is especially how strong the sun is May to August