Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

Recommended Posts

The snow swans flew in  from the east and landed in one of our stubble fields this morning flying low on the strong westerly wind. The Beast from the East will follow

Actually two groups  of whooper swans one of 9 and one of 5 arrived this morning and have been resting in a stubble field since then.

Currently very windy  dry and mild here at 15c

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Northern Strath said:

You may be less homesick knowing it’s grim here too HC, very dark, grey skies and showers barrelling in on a bugger of a wind from the west. Proper autumnal mince  

Like this? 676687810_whippedwillows.thumb.jpg.05fdda69a9fabfedfe84b466e66923c9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok it's Autumn and I'm officially reporting in for duty. 🙋‍♀️

Hope all on the kilted thread have had a bonny spring/summer! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been very breezy here today, peak gust was 54mph and the breeze is only slowly tailing off. It looked nice in the late afternoon sun:

20181023_172415.thumb.jpg.cd26343ac92c8cfe3ddca5faaf039bad.jpg

The cold blast at the weekend is a classic toppler:

2310gfs1.thumb.jpg.44d1a0534568e7006afa7417ed45d55b.jpg2310gfs2.thumb.jpg.e300efaebac934541f14314c51239050.jpg2310gfs3.thumb.jpg.2b627ac651a1904ab976b982cd1c000e.jpg

After this there's an attempt at an easterly but we end up in a cool but not cold air pool. We can't expect much as it's still October but it's interesting to see these patterns so close to proper winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Northernlights said:

The snow swans flew in  from the east and landed in one of our stubble fields this morning flying low on the strong westerly wind. The Beast from the East will follow

Actually two groups  of whooper swans one of 9 and one of 5 arrived this morning and have been resting in a stubble field since then.

Currently very windy  dry and mild here at 15c

Just to add we are giving cows and calves arow of turnips every day and them put them back to a grass field every night.At the end of the afternoon they turned for home (the steading) and took a lot of persuading to go into the grass field. Any one who says animals cannot forecast is mistaken

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting some impressive drifts in front of my garage already, of leaves. The strong wind of the last 2 days doing a much better job of piling them all up neatly than I could ever achieve.

Despite the cold forecast coming up i doubt they'll be replaced by snow drifts. Might see a flurry here, but I'm in Glasgow area at the weekend so sods law is I'll miss it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Getting some impressive drifts in front of my garage already, of leaves. The strong wind of the last 2 days doing a much better job of piling them all up neatly than I could ever achieve.

Despite the cold forecast coming up i doubt they'll be replaced by snow drifts. Might see a flurry here, but I'm in Glasgow area at the weekend so sods law is I'll miss it. 

Tease!

Today was much better, the ground was starting to dry up early afternoon... then there were a couple of light showers to put a stop to that.  Le ciel bleu, aussi, avec des grands nuages erm lenticular.

Everyone is wondering whether we will get snow on Saturday. Only if you can quickly build a very high hill near Wick, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Mini Miss SS caught the crackin sunset earlier on her phone. 

 

 

IMG-20181024-WA0023.jpg

Beautiful photo , hopefully you have lots of snow this season. I wouldn’t mind quite a bit down south but after the chaos last year I find myself myself saying that with some point of tepidation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a case of '...and the moonlight flits across her...' <slap> stop it this instant. 

You've been on the Gewurz again, n'est-ce pas? Yeah, launching 'the lord is out of control' repeatedly, loudly into the damp Caithness night is today's highlight, definitely. 

While watching the clouds zipping over, and seeing Beatrice taking shape out in the firth at last after how many years in planning?

Edited by Hairy Celt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Evening all.. well it's been a strange old summer.. had a momentary lapse of concentration and agreed with the wife for once.. ended up moving down to Cornwall. But fear not my friends we are heading back up to Scotland again just in time for winter to kick back in so I will be back with you all come 1st December 😂😂. Lucky escape for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The radar is showing lots of heavy showers for northern Scotland, Lairg way and around the Highlands. Can anyone report if its snow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing as I was cold waiting on the bus this morning it must be time to stop lurking! I see the bickering has started in the Model thread already! 

Looking forward to what this late Autumn / Winter has to offer and enjoying the fun on this thread as always!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winter's here! Big clouds with colour, sharp showers and squeals from the car about low temperature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, c00ps said:

The radar is showing lots of heavy showers for northern Scotland, Lairg way and around the Highlands. Can anyone report if its snow?

Only on the hills so far at least in the Central Highlands. Should lower from the North as the day goes on. 

Here is a picture of Ben Lawers in Perthshire from Kenmore photography this morning. 

The snow line is a bit lower further North where the showers will be more frequent.

3A1D5982-A67B-477F-9FDD-EAEDD10AC608.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, it's not wintertime yet. I don't keep records, but memory tells me that late Oct/early Nov does often produce an early cold snap with horrid sleet and mush for a couple of days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is turning into somewhat like the "hunt" thread. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally decent sun for the first time this week but has turned a lot colder (should be a sparkling weekend actually just not very warm)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see Ben Alisky (which isn't very high) from here and it's very white already.  Showers at low level in Caithness still just wet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did a good bit in the garden tidying up for autumn yesterday afternoon. Just as well as cold this morning with some sharp showers. Was up through the night again monitoring a couple of the last cows to calve and the temperature has fallen steadily to 4c just now.

Edited by Northernlights

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cold rain battering down here at the mo. 

 

Edited by Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/10/2018 at 23:07, More Snow said:

Evening all.. well it's been a strange old summer.. had a momentary lapse of concentration and agreed with the wife for once.. ended up moving down to Cornwall. But fear not my friends we are heading back up to Scotland again just in time for winter to kick back in so I will be back with you all come 1st December 😂😂. Lucky escape for me.

Which bit of Cornwall are you in?

I'm a Cornish lass (if I can still be a lass at my age). Born in St Ives.

You'll have had a cracking summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaargh. No street lights out in the middle of nowhere! How will I know if it's *nowing tonite?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
51 minutes ago, snowidea said:

Which bit of Cornwall are you in?

I'm a Cornish lass (if I can still be a lass at my age). Born in St Ives.

You'll have had a cracking summer.

A place called pendeen.. just down from St Ives... yes the summer was a good one but he head back home to Scotland in 5 weeks time. It will be nice to be back home and continue the hunt for Snaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...