Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We lost all the felt on one of the shed roofs, husband been up a ladder swearing most of the morning trying to fix it..

• Like 3

Posted

Hi all, haven't posted in a while since I'm normally absent outside snow season :)  Hope everyone is well!

However, the fence outside my property was beginning to 'show signs of distress' yesterday afternoon and when I woke up this morning several sections of it were lying flat in the garden!  What's very interesting is that I'm in a pretty sheltered location wind wise (centre of town, surrounded by lots of buildings) and in the couple of years I've been here I've never seen any significant storm damage before, even from the 'big' storms we've experienced before.

Anyway, hope all are well and that everything gets all cleaned up again... hopefully in time for the snow eventually... if I'm lucky!

Cheers

Tim

Posted

Not a bad day.

Lovely sunny start though a bit windy, the wind dying down over the course of the day - accompanied by increasing amounts of high level cloud that by mid-afternoon effectively blocked out the sun.

Max temperature of 14C but feeling warmer than that in the sunshine.

Last of the blackberries picked today and all the old canes cut out (variety Loch Maree - no thorns, blissful to work with!).  This has definitely been the best year for them, massive fruits and lots of them - and not a single one eaten by the birds which is very unusual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
22 hours ago, mardatha said:

We lost all the felt on one of the shed roofs, husband been up a ladder swearing most of the morning trying to fix it..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

After storm Ali it now looks like Sundays low/storm will affect S/SE England instead of us and it doesn't look as bad as it did at one point  Modele GFS - Carte prévisions then it looks like high pressure and drier weather until perhaps late next week Modele GFS - Carte prévisions ECM1-96.GIF?21-12 I see the GFS is keen to develop another tropical storm/hurricane in the Atlantic next week and also possibly one near mexico late in the run tempresult_efi5.gif  tempresult_jmx0.gif  tempresult_kcg6.gif

• Like 3

Posted

A nice sunny afternoon after the wind and rain of recent days. Over the last couple of months we've steadily transitioned from the warm summer into autumn and now it feels like we are about to start autumn proper with shorter days, falling leaves and cooler, wetter and windier conditions. I'm not expecting anything to match the captivating first 7 months with the momentum - which saw various interesting and notable events in a remarkable smooth and swift transition from snowy winter to warm summer - slowing down. The transition from summer to winter isn't renowned for being sharp and dramatic and autumn doesn't tend to have the same variations in temperature during the spring. Autumn is often unsettled with plenty of rain and occasional storms and fairly mild, with some frosty nights and warm days. Hopefully there'll be more of today's sunshine in the coming weeks aswell as traditional autumnal weather and some final warmth as we look forward to the first signs of winter with snow already falling on the tops of the mountains.

• Like 6

Posted

Morning = Yuk, Afternoon = so-so, Evening = 

Temperature down to 6C already under clear skies and light winds, so wouldn't be surprised to see some ground frost first thing tomorrow.

• Like 2

Posted

Fine time of the night to be awake just finished another caesarian .Huge male calf safely delivered. So in spite of a drought and no  grass this  summer calves this autumn are huge proving the point that cattle always thrive in a very dry year with only small amounts of grass for feed.  Vets confirm that is not just us that are having the problem as they have been working most of the  recent nights doing caesarians.

Reading today too that silage made this summer has a feed value 40% higher than last year, so in spite of being less bulk with rationing we should get through the winter.

The beginings of an aurora to the north across the Firth tonight as well while calving this cow. cold though at 7c

• Like 5

Posted

A clear sky this morning but chilly with temp around 9C and a breeze from the N.

1123070051_PLUMS2.thumb.jpg.db2ddcde8b1d8ec38695904151d0d2c6.jpg

Garnered a few of these windfalls yesterday until I slipped on one lurking in the grass. :shok: I hate waste but these are destined for the compost heap and the stones will be dealt with later.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, ciel said:

A clear sky this morning but chilly with temp around 9C and a breeze from the N.

1123070051_PLUMS2.thumb.jpg.db2ddcde8b1d8ec38695904151d0d2c6.jpg

Garnered a few of these windfalls yesterday until I slipped on one lurking in the grass. :shok: I hate waste but these are destined for the compost heap and the stones will be dealt with later.

Apples the same here but any damaged ones are fed slowly to cows as they love them. Fine morning for getting calves onto cows.

• Like 3

Posted

The windfall apples are out-of-shot, but worryingly some have been gnawed as opposed to pecked - rats? Noticed doggie was extremely interested yesterday in that area and the barn.

The Roe Deer like apples too and have ventured in to sample a few in the past.

Apple/onion/cheese tart tonight.

• Like 2

Posted

I feel like coming up there with a carrier bag lol. I'm currently paying Sainsbugs £1.75 a kg for cooking apples!

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, mardatha said:

I feel like coming up there with a carrier bag lol. I'm currently paying Sainsbugs £1.75 a kg for cooking apples!

Falkland Palace have so many windfall apples and pears they have a stall at the gates with a "help yourself and any donation would be appreciated".

We have a freezer stuffed with blackberrys from before the storm and it looks like we'll be making enough apple and blackberry jam for the year.

• Like 2

Posted

I used to pick brambles every year for jam, but when they re opened the borders railway the new road layout went right through where I used to pick. All the bushes gone now :(

Posted

Not a bad day today.

Lovely sunny start but once outside, no mistaking that winter is coming as the strong WNW wind was bitterly cold.

Thankfully the wind died down in the afternoon, and apart from a few light showers of rain, was mainly sunny and felt very pleasant even though the thermometer never went above 13C.

A clear sky again tonight so taking no chances and fleeced up the most vulnerable half-hardy annuals in case of frost - may as well try and get another few weeks of colour!

Snag_331fa38.thumb.png.5845ed153eaa28346d68c22781ef0571.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Morning all

Down to 2.7C this morning here and there is a good dusting of snow on the Munroe tops , Ben Klibreck , Ben Assynt and Foinaven others probably but low cloud and mist hogging some tops.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

First frost of the winter here (I believe).

Still crispy on shaded bits of the lawn, although the T's up to 3.5 C now with the nice sunshine.

Yee-ha, lawn mowing season is officially over!

EDIT

Impressive moon last night when I was oot wi the dugs for an evening stroll.

Only had the phone fir photaes though.

DSC_0257.JPG

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 3

Posted

Cold looking sunset tonight with pink topped wintry looking showers to the north across the Firth. Took store cattle in for the winter this afternoon, another calf born in the field and  another  two assisted calving cows put out with their calves. Currently clear and   7c. I think there is a  higher chance of a frost here tonight.

• Like 4

Posted

Sunny in the morning then frequent showers in the afternoon - brief but heavy when they came.

Light to moderate W-NW winds all day and cool, maximum temperature of 11C.

As with Northernlights some very pretty pink topped showers this evening towards the NE.

Really noticing the darker nights now as it was getting too dark to work properly outside by 7pm.

• Like 1

Posted

A low of -1C this morning at Glasgow airport - the earliest air frost since 2012. A very nice sunny autumn day and currently mostly clear with another chilly night on the say.

• Like 3

Posted

Couple of showers yesterday but really useable weekend although really pretty cold nights (tonight be cold too)

• Like 1

Posted

Tired. Cold this morning. Showers, rainbows. Windfall apples here too, eaten possibly by snails, slugs, hedgehogs, pine marten (p decreasing). Geese on and off all day. Bed now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Happy autumnal equinox, kilters. A lively week of weather ended with the first ground frost of the season after an overnight low of 0.4C. I know long range predictions are usually a daft idea, but given the soporific state of the sun just now plus other factors in play around the arctic, I'd have an each way wager that this winter is going to be epic. Snawtyres are getting putting on early. Eyes doon! 

• Like 2

Posted

Anyone else seen the Meteo France app that has a section for submitting observations? It's a bit crude but something similar would surely be popular here, especially in winter. 

How do you make your own app? 

And it's just about still dry on my small hill near Inverness. Draughty though! 

• Like 1